View Full Version : Little Giants [Creature]

The Demented One
2007-07-12, 03:25 PM
Magni
Small Giant
Hit Dice: 7d8+14 (45 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 18 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +2 natural, +4 chain shirt), touch 12, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+17
Attack: Glaive +14 melee (2d6+8/x3) or Rock +6 ranged (2d6+8)
Full Attack: Glaive +14 melee (2d6+8/x3) or Rock +6 ranged (2d6+8)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Rock throwing
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, mighty build, rock catching
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 8
Skills: Climb +9, Hide +5, Jump +9, Listen +2, Move Silently +3, Spot +2, Tumble +5
Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Lightning Reflexes
Environment: Temperate Hills
Organization: Solitary, raiding party (2-4), legion (10-50 plus 1-6 1st level Barbarians and 1 4th-6th level Barbarian), or tribe (50-250 plus 50% noncombatants plus 10-25 1st-4th level Barbarians plus 5-15 5th-10th level Barbarians)
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually Chaotic Neutral
Advancement: By class level (Favored Class: Barbarian)
Level Adjustment: +3

The Magni are a strange breed of giants. Though they stand no higher than a human child when full-grown, a Magni has tremendous strength. Elite legions of soldiers have found themselves decimated at the hands of a single Magni. However, despite their immense strength, Magni culture is not especially war-like, particularly when compared to that of other giants. Warfare and raiding is a significant aspect of Magni life, but they are more cultured and civilized than their larger giant kin, possessing a fairly complex tribal society. Magni rarely have peaceful contact with other races–most humanoid races fear their giantish strength, while other giants even stronger than the Magni, tend to see them as pests. Magni are typically lean and lightly-built, despite their immense strength, which only further belies their immense, almost supernatural strength. Magni are typically pale-skinned and light-haired, unusual among giant races.

Rock Throwing (Ex)
A Magni can hurl rocks, and receives a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls made with them. Magni can hurl rocks weighing between 40 and 50 lbs., with a range increment of 120 ft.

Mighty Build (Ex)
Despite being minuscule in size, Magni possess an amazing amount of strength on par with that of larger giants. Whenever a Magni receives a size modifier to a check, such as a grapple or trip check, it is treated as being two sizes larger if that would be advantageous to it. It is treated as two sizes larger when determining whether special attacks based on size, such as improved grapple or swallow whole, can affect it. It can use weapons and items made for creatures up to two sizes larger than it without penalty. Its carrying capacity is determined as if it were two sizes larger. This ability stacks with other effects that would increase a Magni’s size.

Rock Catching (Ex)
A Magni can catch rocks (or similar projectiles) of Small to Large size. Once per round, a Magni that would normally be hit by a rock can make a Reflex save to catch it as a free action. The DC is 15 for a Small rock, 20 for a Medium one, and 25 for a Large one (If the projectile provides an enhancement bonus on attack rolls, then the DC increases by that amount). The Magni must be ready for and aware of the attack in order to make a rock catching attempt.

Skills
A Magni receives a +4 racial bonus on Climb and Jump checks.

Magni Monster Class

The monster class below allows PC’s to play as Magnis at low levels, while remaining at a balanced power level with the rest of their party. They gradually gain Magni racial HD and abilities. For more information on monster classes, see Savage Species.

Magni Starting Racial Traits

+2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Int, -2 Cha
A Magni’s base land speed is 20 ft.
Small Size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
Low-Light Vision
+4 racial bonus on Climb and Jump checks.
Automatic Languages: Common, Giant. Bonus Languages: Goblin, Gnoll, Orc.
Favored Class: Barbarian

{table=head]Level|HD|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Skill Points|Special

1st|1d8|+0|+2|+0|+0|(2+Int)x4|Rock Catching, Rock Throwing

2nd|2d8|+1|+3|+0|+0|(2+Int)|+2 Str

3rd|2d8|+1|+3|+0|+0|–|+1 Natural Armor, +2 Str, Powerful Build

4th|3d8|+2|+3|+1|+1|(2+Int)|+2 Str, +2 Con

5th|4d8|+3|+4|+1|+1|(2+Int)|+1 Natural Armor

6th|4d8|+3|+4|+1|+1|–|+2 Str

7th|5d8|+3|+4|+1|+1|(2+Int)|+2 Str

8th|6d8|+4|+5|+2|+2|(2+Int)|+2 Str, +2 Con

9th|6d8|+4|+5|+2|+2|–|+2 Str

10th|7d8|+5|+5|+2|+2|(2+Int)|Mighty Build[/table]

Class Features
All the following are class features of the Magni monster class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Magni are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with light armor, and with all shields, except for tower shield.

Rock Catching
At 1st level, you gain the ability to catch rocks and similar projectiles that are thrown at you. At 1st level you can only catch Small rocks; you can catch Medium rocks at 3rd level, and Large rocks at 10th level. Once per round, if you would normally be hit by a rock, you can make a Reflex save to catch it as a free action. The DC is 15 for a Small rock, 20 for a Medium one, and 25 for a Large one (If the projectile provides an enhancement bonus on attack rolls, then the DC increases by that amount). You must be ready for and aware of the attack in order to make a rock catching attempt.

Rock Throwing (Ex)
At 1st level, you gain the ability to hurl rocks of Small size or smaller. You gain a +1 racial bonus on all attack rolls made with thrown rocks. Small rocks deal 1d6 damage, and have a range increment of 30 ft. At 3rd level, you can hurl Medium rocks, which deal 1d8 damage and have a range increment of 60 ft. At 10th level, you can hurl Large rocks, which deal 2d6 damage and have a range increment of 120 ft.

Strength Increase (Ex)
At each level except 1st, 5th, and 10th, your Strength score increases by 2.

Natural Armor (Ex)
At 3rd level, your natural armor bonus to AC increases to +1. At 5th level, it increases to +2.

Powerful Build (Ex)
At 3rd level, you can make the most of your small stature. Whenever you receives a size modifier to a check, such as a grapple or trip check, you are treated as being one size larger if that would be advantageous to you. You treated as one size larger when determining whether special attacks based on size, such as improved grapple or swallow whole, can affect you. You can use weapons and items made for creatures up to one size larger than you without penalty. Your carrying capacity is determined as if you were one size larger. This ability stacks with other effects that would increase your size.

Constitution Increase (Ex)
At 4th and 8th levels, your Constitution score increases by 2.

Mighty Build (Ex)
At 10th level, your small frame packs all the strength of a giant. Whenever you receives a size modifier to a check, such as a grapple or trip check, you are treated as being two sizes larger if that would be advantageous to you. You treated as two sizes larger when determining whether special attacks based on size, such as improved grapple or swallow whole, can affect you. You can use weapons and items made for creatures up to two sizes larger than you without penalty. Your carrying capacity is determined as if you were two sizes larger. This ability stacks with other effects that would increase your size.

Poppatomus
2007-07-12, 03:35 PM
Quite an interesting monster. I like the concept behind it, and think it would be a great way to teach characters not to judge a book by its cover. (Pair one with a gribble and teach a party never to underestimate tiny, unthreatening mobs.) One thing I would say is that you could simplify Mighty build considerably, my attempt:

Mighty Build (Ex)
Despite being minuscule in size, Magni possess an amazing amount of strength on par with that of larger giants. A Magni may choose to be treated as two size catagories larger than it is anytime this would benefit the magni (as during a grapple check or avoiding being swallowed). This even applies to characteristics such as carrying capacity and size penalties for weapons. This ability stacks with other abilities that affect the Magni's size.

The Demented One
2007-07-12, 03:42 PM
I based the Mighty Build ability's wording off of that of the Powerful Build ability use by Goliaths, Eneko, and a few other PC races, with the addition of the carrying capacity bit.

Poppatomus
2007-07-12, 03:44 PM
I based the Mighty Build ability's wording off of that of the Powerful Build ability use by Goliaths, Eneko, and a few other PC races, with the addition of the carrying capacity bit.

Ah. Apologies then. What book has those races?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-07-12, 04:07 PM
This reminds me of Ren and Stimpy. Good job.:smallbiggrin:

The Demented One
2007-07-12, 04:26 PM
Ah. Apologies then. What book has those races?
Goliaths are from Races of Stone; Eneko are from Secrets of Sarlona.

Zeta Kai
2007-07-12, 05:21 PM
My main concern with this creature is the apparent disparity between the fluff & the crunch. For all its vaunted physical might, the statistics only list a Strength of 20. Although this somewhat unusual for a creature of this size, this isn't terribly impressive in the scheme of things. A half-orc can do this, & most players don't consider them to be an overpowered race (I know that a half-orc would have to have an 18 before racial adjustment, but I've rarely met a half-orc PC who didn't max out on Strength). Even regular orcs can get their Strength up to 22.

What I propose is to increase the Strength to match the fluff. I'd say make it 23 at least; perhaps even as high as 27. That way, the creature's might can match its hype.

Poppatomus
2007-07-12, 05:30 PM
My main concern with this creature is the apparent disparity between the fluff & the crunch. For all its vaunted physical might, the statistics only list a Strength of 20. Although this somewhat unusual for a creature of this size, this isn't terribly impressive in the scheme of things. A half-orc can do this, & most players don't consider them to be an overpowered race (I know that a half-orc would have to have an 18 before racial adjustment, but I've rarely met a half-orc PC who didn't max out on Strength). Even regular orcs can get their Strength up to 22.

What I propose is to increase the Strength to match the fluff. I'd say make it 23 at least; perhaps even as high as 27. That way, the creature's might can match its hype.

I disagree. While the strength seems low at first glance, you haven't taken into account the impact of the special abilties. Unaugmented, he is treated as a large creature in basically every respect, the equivalent of a +8 unnamed bonus to strength that applies to most checks. (+4 for large, yes? I suddenly fear it might be +2. even so, that's +4). While adding more strength probably wouldn't hurt, I don't feel its required to do so.

brian c
2007-07-12, 05:57 PM

I think it's good as is. 20 strength is comparable to an Ogre (21) which has +10 strength if played as a PC. 20 is the average strength for a Magni; the max would be around 28, which is definitely impressive enough for the description.

Also, was I the only person disappointed that this thread wasn't about a certain Pee-Wee football movie?

Zeta Kai
2007-07-12, 06:09 PM
Well, when you put it that way, 28 is pretty good for a little guy. He could easily accomplish the feats (no pun intended) ascribed to him in the fluff. The problem is, of course, what happens when the pendulum swings the other way, as it were. The upper limit is 28, the median average is 20, so the lower limit is...

A Small creature with a Strength of 12 does not put fear in my heart, even with the special abilities that this one has. And I'd love to see a DM that would allow a creature with a 12 Strength to chuck a 40-50 pound boulder 120'.

I'm just asking the OP to consider adding a few points of Strength, so as to be more in line with the given description.

Poppatomus
2007-07-12, 06:14 PM
A Small creature with a Strength of 12 does not put fear in my heart, even with the special abilities that this one has. And I'd love to see a DM that would allow a creature with a 12 Strength to chuck a 40-50 pound boulder 120'.

I'm just asking the OP to consider adding a few points of Strength, so as to be more in line with the given description.

That is a fair point, though it also implies that at least that ability needs to be keyed to strength/size, rather than being pre-set. It is equally strange to think of a magni enchanted up beyond large and still being unable to catch a larger rock or, if he does add a few more strength, a magni with a strength of 16 being able to grab a boulder 10ft./10ft. in mid air and swing it back in the other direction.

EvilElitest
2007-07-12, 06:39 PM
well, a mangi with a 12 strenght would be stunted. However, hte vast majority would have 20, hence making it a very powerful race generally, compared to say, gnomes
from,
EE

The Demented One
2007-07-12, 07:03 PM
Geez, I'd expected people were going to say 20 was too high a Strength score for a small creature. I may knock its Strength up a bit, but I think's its pretty good where it is right now.