PDA

View Full Version : Halfling Thief, level 4 advice

mgshamster
2016-11-02, 11:43 AM
My little halfling thief (with tons of inspiration from Tim of Caverns and Creatures; he's a vulgar little prick) has finally reached level 4.

He's been using a shortbow or a shortsword and dagger. Currently has a 16 Dex, with expertise in stealth and thieves tools.

I'm uncertain on what I'd like to do at level 4. Lucky, Sharpshooter, or +2 Dex? Or something else? What are your suggestions? UA is allowed.

(Party is a vuman war cleric with lucky, a vuman mystic with blade master, a Tiefling fiendish bladelock, a vuman seeker tomelock with polearm mastery, a 1/2 elf wild mage, and a Tiefling Alice Homebrew)

Specter
2016-11-02, 11:50 AM
I say 18 DEX, for AC, initiative, DEX saves, skills, hit and damage.

clash
2016-11-02, 12:12 PM
If you hide a lot the advantage on attack rolls could make sharpshooter a nice option but with your dex bonus at only a +3 you might end up just wasting turns by trying for that extra damage. Crossbow expert might be nice for those turns when you miss with a crossbow attack(and as consequence dont get SA damage). So those are options. I think your best bet is to go dex increase though. Rogues want high dex fast.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-11-02, 12:51 PM
"If you are a rogue – pump dex. If you are in doubt, think about it, then pump dex. If you have very big doubts, consult your fellow players – then pump dex."

W. G. Grace, if he played 5th edition D&D.

mgshamster
2016-11-02, 01:00 PM
Ha! Sold. Dex it is. Thanks!

MintyNinja
2016-11-02, 02:28 PM
I was going to say Healer Feat as it would save your one (?) healer on spell slots and if your GM's a decent sport you could use the Use an Object portion of Fast Hands to apply bandages as a Bonus Action.

coalmaine
2016-11-03, 01:20 PM
I would second MintyNinjas healer feat suggestion.

I currently use it on my Halfling thief it I find it an excellent addition to skillset.

It adds a new dimension to your combat choices.

It can indeed be use with the fast hands feature.

1d6 + lvl is just enough to give someone time to do something.

But it will do nothing for your dmg output.

MrFahrenheit
2016-11-04, 11:34 AM
If you have the int for it and really want to give your DM a headache, take the lucky feat and then dip into wizard (divination) two levels. Dice control ftw!

SillyPopeNachos
2016-11-04, 11:53 AM
Max dex as fast as possible, then consider feats.

gfishfunk
2016-11-04, 12:02 PM
Just take the Dex bonus.

From your list of other considered options, nothing gave you anything that provides variety. Everything listed just makes your more combat efficient without providing new whistles and bells. Therefore, you might as well just take the bonus to Dex and get all the other auxiliary benefits (Skills, AC, Initiative).