PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Aasimar and Tiefling racial feats: what are they?

Firaro
2016-11-02, 12:06 PM
So in the entries for the aasimar and tiefling it says:
"Racial Feats: [A(n) aasimar/tiefling] gains feats according to its class levels."
what are these feats? at what levels do you get them?
my first thought was this was a result of the Outsider type, but i couldnt find anything about it in its entry, nor the Native subtype. my second thought was this was just an entry put in all races capable of getting class levels, but couldnt find this entry under any other races. i then checked the examples of the aasimar and tiefling but neither has any feats other than the one they gain at first level (which simply means they dont get a racial feat at 1st level).
i have attempted to search for where this might have been answered elsewhere, but i couldnt find it. so sorry if this is a repeat of a previous question, or just such a stupid question noone else has had to ask it.

Padishar
2016-11-02, 12:15 PM
It's just saying that they receive feats based on their class, not their race. So no extra feats, just what they would normally be entitled to based on their class level.

Firaro
2016-11-02, 12:29 PM
It's just saying that they receive feats based on their class, not their race. So no extra feats, just what they would normally be entitled to based on their class level.

the more i look into it i am beginning to think you are right about that being RAI, of course RAW is that they get unspecified feats at unspecified levels.
more maddening though is the inconsistency within the same book. i read more and kobolds have an entry saying
"Racial Feats: A Kobold character gains feats according to its character class" why the different wording? do kobolds not get feats based on their level (1 every 3) but instead only from its class? well obviously not cause the example kobold gets a feat at 1st level
additionally all races carried over from the player's handbook dont have this entry. why not have this entry on those but have it on planetouched unless there is something different about how planetouched get feats?! and more maddening goblins and hobgoblins dont get this entry despite being new races added in the MM.
RAW obviously is saying kobolds and planetouched get bonus feats based upon class or level respectively

Firaro
2016-11-02, 02:37 PM
I figured it out: the entry is to emphasize the disconnect between ECL and class levels and how only class levels affect feats. Still unanswered why kobolds have their entry