PDA

View Full Version : Making a character build around shiriken use

jangartharn1
2016-11-02, 01:16 PM
Hey guys. So a couple days ago I stumbled upon the shiriken and its stats. 1d2 damage with a 10ft range and critting only on a 20 makes it pretty weak. Because of that I want to somehow make a build where I make the shiriken an effective weapon. I was thinking of using a monks flurry of blows to be able to make multiple attacks with a shiriken. But besides that I have no clue where to go from. If anybody could help me make such a build then I would be oh so thankful. :)

Inevitability
2016-11-02, 01:42 PM
d2 crusader? :smalltongue:

On a more serious note, shuriken are thrown weapons but can be drawn as ammunition, which is a property no other thrown weapon seems to have. Maybe build something around that?

stanprollyright
2016-11-02, 01:54 PM
Hey guys. So a couple days ago I stumbled upon the shiriken and its stats. 1d2 damage with a 10ft range and critting only on a 20 makes it pretty weak. Because of that I want to somehow make a build where I make the shiriken an effective weapon. I was thinking of using a monks flurry of blows to be able to make multiple attacks with a shiriken. But besides that I have no clue where to go from. If anybody could help me make such a build then I would be oh so thankful. :)

With Flurry you also get full Str to dmg, so that's pretty much the only way to make a shuriken-thrower effective. Otherwise, just get regular archery feats, and possibly Zen Archer if your Wisdom is better than your Dex (which needs to be at least 13). You could see about stacking flurry with rapid shot and/or twf...I think that's legal in 3.5? I'm not actually sure...

Regardless, go for the Master Thrower PrC.

sleepyphoenixx
2016-11-02, 05:24 PM
The damage is pretty irrelevant at anything but the lowest levels. 1,5 average damage for a shuriken vs 4,5 for a longbow won't make much difference. And very few ranged weapons crit on anything but a 20.
You can make up for that by being a Master Thrower and using Palm Throw to throw two with every attack, but that means you won't get Str bonus.

The solution is to be a Shiba Protector and stacking wisdom, sneak attack + Craven (with a reliable way to get ranged SA), Inspire Courage/Dragonfire Inspiration or some other source of bonus damage. Poison also works as long as enemies aren't immune (and you get a cheap source of poison, because throwing 10+ poisoned attacks/round gets expensive fast otherwise).

The biggest issue is not damage but range. There's little point going for a ranged build if you're standing in charge range anyway. So you'll want to get Far Shot, the gloves from MIC that double range and similar stuff to get at least a 60ft range or something like that.

TheCorsairMalac
2016-11-02, 09:45 PM
Projectile weapons(Things that fling ammunition, like bows.) have the advantage of imbuing their ammunition with their magic. You only have to buy a flaming bow once.

I would ask your Dungeon Master if you can get gloves that enchant your shurikens in a similar manner. Alternatively, you could work out some means of always recovering your shurikens. Mark them with the Arcane Mark spell perhaps?

Martimus Prime
2016-11-03, 09:31 PM
If I were to build a shuriken-focussed character, I'd probably build a rogue (undead sneak attack ACF)/paladin (holy warrior ACF)/monk with ranged smite, the class combo feats to make them work together, neraph throw, knowledge devotion, and serenity (to help kill off the MAD). Grab a set of brilliant energy shuriken and a ring of x-ray vision for amusing wall penetration shenanigans. Later on, when you're ready to solo class in rogue, take exotic weapon master to get the ability to apply stunning fist through your ranged attack and master thrower for a few extra tricks. At high level, that means your shuriken applies stunning fist, sneak attack, smite damage, dazing, and possibly more, all against an opponent with no dex bonus to AC (or armor for that matter if you use brilliant energy). The only thing you can't do is poison because of your paladin levels, but that first shot is a doozy.

If you have access to flaws, the psionic weapon feat tree might also be good. Neraph throw plus the one feat that makes your next attack a touch attack means the enemy's AC is often negligible to you.

Ezekiul
2016-11-04, 10:41 AM
Bloodstorm Blade 2 and the Stormguard warrior feat make a deadly combo. Bloodstorm lets you treat thrown weapons as melee attacks and stormguard warrior gives you the option to do touch attacks that deal no damage, but for each attack that hits you may add +5 damage to your melee attacks in the next round.

So getting a bunch of attacks from flurry of blows from monk, palm throw from master thrower, Chakram Ricochet feat(with adaptive weapon or warblade), and any other extra attacks can net some crazy damage in the next round.

Martimus Prime
2016-11-04, 03:45 PM
Do you suppose iaijutsu damage would apply to shuriken in the right circumstances?

Vogie
2016-11-04, 03:57 PM
Projectile weapons(Things that fling ammunition, like bows.) have the advantage of imbuing their ammunition with their magic. You only have to buy a flaming bow once.

I would ask your Dungeon Master if you can get gloves that enchant your shurikens in a similar manner. Alternatively, you could work out some means of always recovering your shurikens. Mark them with the Arcane Mark spell perhaps?

In lieu of Arcane marks, you could upgrade the shuriken with the Returning quality, or invest in a blinkback belt. If your DM allows custom item creation, you could stat out the price for a blinkback wrist sheath...

illyahr
2016-11-04, 04:06 PM
Do you suppose iaijutsu damage would apply to shuriken in the right circumstances?

Yes. The only stipulations on Iaijutsu Focus is that you drew the weapon that round and that you attack a flat-footed enemy with it.

Troacctid
2016-11-04, 04:13 PM
I would go with something like Marrulurk Monk 2/Assassin 10. You want a good source of bonus damage. Sneak attack works well for that.