PDA

View Full Version : Hel's world fan-fiction?

Mad Humanist
2016-11-02, 04:04 PM
Has anyone written a fan-fiction on what it would be like in the world made according to Hel's design? Also with a really elegant coastline designed by Njord?

Darth Paul
2016-11-03, 07:59 AM
Could make a Hel of a story...

Grey Watcher
2016-11-03, 09:22 AM
Has anyone written a fan-fiction on what it would be like in the world made according to Hel's design? Also with a really elegant coastline designed by Njord?

Worst case scenario: it's a Tim Burton-themed RPG. :smalltongue:

The Artisan
2016-11-03, 10:49 AM
Also with a really elegant coastline designed by Njord?
Surely such a coastline would be designed by Slartibartfast.

Mad Humanist
2016-11-03, 01:03 PM
Could make a Hel of a story...
If only writing good fan-fiction were simply a matter of deploying one hackneyed pun, we'd be there already.

Worst case scenario: it's a Tim Burton-themed RPG. :smalltongue:
And will there be chocolate?

And would he have voted to destroy the world?

Alchemist_Fire
2016-11-04, 06:40 PM
...the world made according to Hel's design?

My head-canon is a world that lasts for eons undisturbed, in which mortals are born to be punished for existing. There might be undead overlords enslaving the mortals, hand-picking occasional mortals for the gift of undeath. There is no honor, and Hel collects all the souls from such a world.

Mad Humanist
2016-11-04, 06:59 PM
My head-canon is a world that lasts for eons undisturbed, in which mortals are born to be punished for existing. There might be undead overlords enslaving the mortals, hand-picking occasional mortals for the gift of undeath. There is no honor, and Hel collects all the souls from such a world.

I guess it would owe a lot of atmosphere to Ravenloft.

Still with gods such as Sunna, Loki and Vafthrudnir there would be at least some pockets of light and cheer.

Vrock_Summoner
2016-11-04, 07:08 PM
I guess it would owe a lot of atmosphere to Ravenloft.

Still with gods such as Sunna, Loki and Vafthrudnir there would be at least some pockets of light and cheer.
It's not like the gods who win the vote necessarily end up substantially better off than the others. Hel has a particular bonus for destroying the world, but most everyone else is just concerned about the Snarl or personal priorities, and haven't given any status-related reasons for their votes.

I don't see things going well for Sunna if Hel becomes ruler of the next world, is what I'm saying.

That said, a world ruled by the undead and monsters, with mortals being rare and them having any power being rarer, would probably look more like Dark Souls than Ravenloft. I could be wrong though - after all, Dark Souls has a very specific flavor of undead, which isn't how it usually works in D&D-like fantasy. But it's a thought.

Beneath
2016-11-05, 02:17 AM
There are two whole other directional pantheons that she's not more powerful than. So the South and the West will be fine (at least, as fine as the West is in OotS), but the North will be a frozen waste where the living envy the (un)dead.

I could see the other two pantheons structuring their worship in response to this. so the South's still going to be full of Paladins too.

Vrock_Summoner
2016-11-05, 01:47 PM
There are two whole other directional pantheons that she's not more powerful than. So the South and the West will be fine (at least, as fine as the West is in OotS), but the North will be a frozen waste where the living envy the (un)dead.

I could see the other two pantheons structuring their worship in response to this. so the South's still going to be full of Paladins too.
Respectful disagree. Hel seems to be making the kind of move that will make her the strongest god in general by a wide margin, not just one that will put her at the top of specifically the North pantheon.

Kish
2016-11-05, 02:02 PM
By contrast to Vrock_Summoner, I don't think Hel would even have unquestioned dominion over the North. She would take Odin's place as head of the pantheon. Her priests would be respected, or more likely considering her lack of interest in allies, feared, by all the other Northern gods' priests, as all defer to Odin's priests now. It would be a darker world than the current one, but there would still be priests of all the gods, still adventurers, still paladins.

Mad Humanist
2016-11-05, 02:03 PM
Respectful disagree. Hel seems to be making the kind of move that will make her the strongest god in general by a wide margin, not just one that will put her at the top of specifically the North pantheon.

I think it what divide the world into three zones: a land of Kung Fu Asian stereotype mash-ups, a land of Mad Max deserts and a land of the walking dead.

Edit: and of course Elan's mentor will come back from the planes of chaos to save any maidens in distress.

Indarra
2016-12-05, 01:47 PM
There is no honor, and Hel collects all the souls from such a world.

The deal where she gets the dishonored dead ends with this world.

gooddragon1
2016-12-05, 07:39 PM
If only writing good fan-fiction were simply a matter of deploying one hackneyed pun, we'd be there already.

Life would be a living Hel? :smallbiggrin:?

137beth
2016-12-06, 10:38 PM

Too bad Hel's world must then be destroyed to make way for an interstellar bypass.

Mad Humanist
2016-12-07, 01:25 AM
Too bad Hel's world must then be destroyed to make way for an interstellar bypass.

All part of some god's plan (even if it goes directly against some other god's plan).

Darth Paul
2016-12-07, 06:22 AM

I was going to try for something less hackneyed, but then I just said "Ah, the Hel with it."

IndigoFenix
2016-12-07, 12:49 PM
Hmm... what if Thor and Hel have some kind of game going that progresses from one world to the next? The winner of the last round gets an edge by having more influence over the next one's creation, but they have to leave the other at least a chance...

The current world of OOTS is tilted in Thor's favor, filled to the brim with monsters to slay and wrongs to right, many opportunities for a hero to rise up and die with honor, suggesting he won the last round. But there are still diseases and the like which allows Hel to claim souls.

Hel's creation would probably be a dreary, disease-ridden crapsack world, with the vast majority of people living and dying pointlessly, but there would still be some opportunities for brave and stubborn souls to struggle against the inevitable hopelessness of their world and earn themselves a heroic death. Perhaps by waging war against the gods themselves...

Mad Humanist
2016-12-07, 12:54 PM
Hmm... what if Thor and Hel have some kind of game going that progresses from one world to the next? The winner of the last round gets an edge by having more influence over the next one's creation, but they have to leave the other at least a chance...

The current world of OOTS is tilted in Thor's favor, filled to the brim with monsters to slay and wrongs to right, many opportunities for a hero to rise up and die with honor, suggesting he won the last round. But there are still diseases and the like which allows Hel to claim souls.

Hel's creation would probably be a dreary, disease-ridden crapsack world, with the vast majority of people living and dying pointlessly, but there would still be some opportunities for brave and stubborn souls to struggle against the inevitable hopelessness of their world and earn themselves a heroic death. Perhaps by waging war against the gods themselves...

All fine but Hel's argument is with the Northern pantheon alone. So basically one third of the world would be Ravenloftish (or walking undead or eternal world war I or whatever). Still misbehaving children in the other parts of the world would be frightened with stories of the North.