PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder How do downtime/rooms/teams work?

Origomar
2016-11-02, 06:45 PM
trying to understand the general gist of how they all work together and for the most part i think i have it but i have a few questions.

1. it says each team cannot have more levels of people in it than your leadership score. but it doesn't say that you can have a limited number of teams. Why have a limit at all if you can just have any number of teams and presumably tell them to do the same thing. Does each team need a manager of some sort? Is that where the limitation is? purely by gold?

2. Do teams require housing and what benefit is there to having housing for a team?

3. Do you have to have 1 manager per business in order to gain the bonus to not losing capital or just one manager for your entire operation.

4. What are the starting stats for npc teams you buy? i would assume non elite array if it doesn't specify anywhere else.

For example if i have basically a fighting company that is in a town and it has various teams and buildings associated with it how would i determine how many managers i would have to hire when dealing with capital/magic ect loss. Is it one per room, or team or just one for the entire business thing.

Also if anyone has any experience with the system feel free to share.:smallsmile:

Coidzor
2016-11-02, 07:03 PM
trying to understand the general gist of how they all work together and for the most part i think i have it but i have a few questions.

1. it says each team cannot have more levels of people in it than your leadership score. but it doesn't say that you can have a limited number of teams. Why have a limit at all if you can just have any number of teams and presumably tell them to do the same thing. Does each team need a manager of some sort? Is that where the limitation is? purely by gold?

2. Do teams require housing and what benefit is there to having housing for a team?

1. Gold and time and willingness to put up with spreadsheets and rolling dice ad nauseum for minutia, IIRC. One of the common complaints about the system is that it's too slow and inefficient and expensive and instead of being an interesting part of the game, mostly just serves to act as a way to discourage players from engaging with downtime in favor of trying to rush off to the next adventure.

2. IIRC, you get the full benefits of a team you house and half benefits from a team that you don't house.

Origomar
2016-11-02, 08:03 PM
1. Gold and time and willingness to put up with spreadsheets and rolling dice ad nauseum for minutia, IIRC. One of the common complaints about the system is that it's too slow and inefficient and expensive and instead of being an interesting part of the game, mostly just serves to act as a way to discourage players from engaging with downtime in favor of trying to rush off to the next adventure.

2. IIRC, you get the full benefits of a team you house and half benefits from a team that you don't house.

in response to teh first one i guess so but theres not that big of a difference between 3 teams and 10 teams(especially if a lot of them are just duplicates). I just would think thered be something keeping someone from getting infinite amount of troops.

Coidzor
2016-11-02, 08:36 PM
in response to teh first one i guess so but theres not that big of a difference between 3 teams and 10 teams(especially if a lot of them are just duplicates). I just would think thered be something keeping someone from getting infinite amount of troops.

The inherent limitations of what you can actually do with NPCs between level 1 and 3 along with the fact that gold is a finite resource given a specific span of time for much of the game that the Downtime rules are actually useful/of interest for. Also, the fact that once you actually have the resources for infinite troops, you have infinite simulacra which are better than 3rd level NPC warriors.