PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder: Paladin - Need Opinion

Barbarian Horde
2016-11-02, 08:53 PM
Okay so I was thinking of doing a chocobo approach by replacing Chocobo with an axebeak mount. Now as nifty as it sounds I want to know if it seems too cheesy to using a lance for mounted combat.

It's level 9

Are the feats I had it take

Mobility
Spring Attack
Dodge
Improved Natural Attack

Geddy2112
2016-11-02, 09:33 PM
It is not really too cheesy to use a lance if you are charging people from the back of a mount. I mean, that is the whole idea behind using a lance....

If you are using a lance, you want the spirited charge feat. You also want the mounted combat feat to help protect your mount from attacks.

Sayt
2016-11-03, 12:01 AM
It is not really too cheesy to use a lance if you are charging people from the back of a mount. I mean, that is the whole idea behind using a lance....

If you are using a lance, you want the spirited charge feat. You also want the mounted combat feat to help protect your mount from attacks.

In Pathfinder, charge multipliers are capped at x3 (options wise, not rules), as far as I know. I think you'd be better off going for mounted skirmishers and a high critical threat range weapon like a scimitar.

Also, I don't think spring attack meshes very well with mounted combat, but I'm Away From Books ATM, so I cant point it out explicitly.

TheFamilarRaven
2016-11-03, 02:44 AM
Mobility
Spring Attack
Dodge
Improved Natural Attack

Are those the feats for your mount? I hope so.... Because a level 9 character should have 5 feats, and none of those picked make any sense for a paladin charger build...

Also, it's not cheesy to use a lance. It's one of those rare cases where your choice of weapon makes perfect sense in character and is one of the most effective things to use. Remember, Smite Evil gets multiplied by that lance charge.

CasualViking
2016-11-03, 04:12 AM
Spring Attack on the mount is what's required to let it attack during a ride-by (because Paizo's stewardship of WotC's rules is terrible). And of course you shouldn't feel a second of shame for going lance-charging. The only cheese thing you should be ashamed of is how your paladin is yet another fey foundling.

My suggestion is, accept that ride-by attack is a lame feat tax and don't try to build on it. Give your mount IUS & Dragon Style instead, to get your charge on more often. Charge people, lance them and trip them. If they live, they can either get into a fight with -4 to hit and AC for being prone, or they can get up, taking opportunity attacks from both of you.

You're one lvel away from being able to take Coordinated charge. I would recommed a dip in something with a Tactician ability, because piggybacking charges wrecks monsters.

CharonsHelper
2016-11-03, 09:13 AM
In Pathfinder, charge multipliers are capped at x3 (options wise, not rules), as far as I know. I think you'd be better off going for mounted skirmishers and a high critical threat range weapon like a scimitar.

No - it's just that crit doesn't stack with the lance's bonus - they're still additive. So critting on a Spirited Charge with a lance would only do x5 damage instead of x9 damage.