PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other No-Bonus Weapon Focus Fix

Amechra
2016-11-02, 10:40 PM
Because let's face it, Weapon Focus isn't a crappy feat because the bonus it gives is too small.

Weapon Focus [Fighter]
Benefit: Upon taking this feat, choose one type of weapon, such as the greataxe. You may choose unarmed strike, grappling, and rays (if you're a spellcaster) as well. Once per turn, you may take 10 on an attack roll made with that weapon.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times; each time, select a different type of weapon to receive this benefit.

Weapon Specialization [Fighter]
Prerequisites: Weapon Focus, Fighter 4th
Benefit: Upon taking this feat, choose one type of weapon you chose for Weapon Focus. You automatically confirm critical hits threatened by that weapon. In addition, you deal +1d6 damage with masterwork weapons of that type.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times; each time, select a different valid type of weapon to receive this benefit.

gtwucla
2016-11-03, 06:50 AM
Both look good to me. Weapon specialization is definitely the coolest of the two.

Arkhios
2016-11-03, 07:07 AM
Was your intention that the Weapon Specialization would apply to all of the Weapon Focus options? Currently it only benefits those options that deal damage on an attack roll. It's been a while since I scoured 3.5 rules, but IIRC, while you can deal unarmed damage with a successful Grapple Check, you can't score a critical hit with a Grapple Check (because it's not an attack roll) and thus being unable to deal multiplied damage by doing so. Currently your version of Weapon Specialization does nothing for a grappler.

My suggestion to fix this would be to give the +1d6 extra damage to the grapple damage roll as well as to masterwork weapons.