PDA

View Full Version : Urban Legends

Medival Wombat
2016-11-03, 06:23 AM
Hello fellow Playgrounders

I am currently looking for mysteries and folklore, to create a weird book (Like the journal in Gravity Falls).
Unfortunatly, there are much more empty pages in the old book that I found then ideas from me to fill them. Thats the reason why I opend this thread...
If you hav a myth, an urban legend, a spook story or something like this, feel free to dump it in here. Just keep it in a certain order:

[if you are not ok, with me writing your entry into the book (I am not going to publish it), please note it in red]
[If you want to be mentionend as a fellow researcher, write your wierdologist resercher name here in green]

Name of the topic, region/country, possible year/century of the story
The topic
if able: links to the topic, picture links or else

Thanks a lot!

postscriptum: If your story is similar to another one already written in here, please write it as a reply to that post, I will combine them on the pages

MikelaC1
2016-11-03, 08:03 AM
Time Period: mid 90s
Topic: The 6/49 Lottery

A man was out for his nightly walk, and happened to see a loonie lying on the ground. So on a whim, he used the coin to buy a lottery ticket. The ticket won $10. So he put that $10 into more tickets. Those tickets combined to win $100. He put that money into more tickets. One of them won the multi-million dollar jackpot.

GolemsVoice
2016-11-03, 04:21 PM
Time Period: Early 2000s
Topic: The Aids Man

There were rumors of a man who would go to parties, with a stamp with a needle on it. The stamp read "Welcome to the Club" and the needle would be infected with AIDS. He would take the stamp and stamp your hand or wherever, and thus infect you.

Black Socks
2016-11-03, 07:13 PM
A website that may help you in your quest:
http://urbanlegends.about.com/

Also:
Country- Canada
Period- Current (2010s)
Topic: The STD girl
This was circulating in my high school, and high-school students I talk to say it's still around.
There's a girl at [insert name of school here] that has [insert STD here]. She goes around infecting as many people as she can with it, using condoms with holes poked into them.
....I have a theory it was made up by faculty to scare students straight and ended up becoming an urban legend.

WarKitty
2016-11-03, 07:41 PM
There's the old car headlights one:

Period: current-ish

Certain gangs have their new initiates sent out to drive around in cars with their lights off. When another car flashes their lights at them to warn them, the initiates then follow that person and kill them.

TechnOkami
2016-11-04, 03:34 AM
The only two I can immediately think of as far as folk-lore stuff goes would be as follows via their wiki pages for my convenience and laziness:

La Llorona (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Llorona)

Bloody Mary (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Mary_(folklore))

noparlpf
2016-11-04, 05:33 AM
There's a legend on the internet that if you stay a virgin until you're thirty, you become a wizard.

Time Period: Early 2000s
Topic: The Aids Man

There were rumors of a man who would go to parties, with a stamp with a needle on it. The stamp read "Welcome to the Club" and the needle would be infected with AIDS. He would take the stamp and stamp your hand or wherever, and thus infect you.

Oh yeah, we had a similar one in the US around the early 2000s. I think I've heard that version too, but the one I used to hear was that there was [a guy/various people, depending who told it] who would put HIV-infected needles in the handles of gas pumps.

(I was actually just thinking about that one the other day when a doctor asked me if I wanted to add an HIV test to my blood panel. I was like, yeah, I'm working on becoming a wizard, so unless that old HIV-needles-in-gas-pumps myth is true, that sounds like a waste of money.)

MikelaC1
2016-11-04, 06:42 AM
There's the old car headlights one:

Period: current-ish

Certain gangs have their new initiates sent out to drive around in cars with their lights off. When another car flashes their lights at them to warn them, the initiates then follow that person and kill them.

This circulated through Ontario about 5 years ago on Facebook, fueled by supposed "warnings" from the OPP. It got so much publicity, the OPP had to come out and deny ever issuing such a "warning".

WarKitty
2016-11-04, 11:10 AM
This circulated through Ontario about 5 years ago on Facebook, fueled by supposed "warnings" from the OPP. It got so much publicity, the OPP had to come out and deny ever issuing such a "warning".

It was an old story when I was a teen (so around 15 years ago), so it's been making the rounds for a while.

Kid Jake
2016-11-04, 12:31 PM
There's a legend on the internet that if you stay a virgin until you're thirty, you become a wizard.

I think it's the other way around. :smallwink:

Bohandas
2016-11-04, 12:38 PM
Blue star tattoos
Place: United States
Time: late 20th century

According to this rumor there is a someone out there selling star shaped decal-style temporary tattoos that are laced with LSD, which gets into the body when the tattoo is applied

EDIT:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_star_tattoo_legend

noparlpf
2016-11-04, 03:10 PM
I think it's the other way around. :smallwink:

If you stay 30 until you're a legend, a virgin becomes the internet?

The Glyphstone
2016-11-04, 03:35 PM
If you stay 30 until you're a legend, a virgin becomes the internet?

If you spend 30 years as a wizard, you turn into a virgin?

Black Socks
2016-11-04, 04:27 PM
If you spend 30 years as a wizard, you turn into a virgin?
No, no, no, it's if you stay a virgin 30 years, a wizard becomes the internet. Which, in retrospect, explains a lot about the internet.

Bohandas
2016-11-05, 01:51 AM
Shadow Government
Date: Up to the current time

The following people or groups are often cited as secretly controlling all world decisions, despite all appearances to the contrary, insurmountable logistical issues, and/or the fact that many of them are either completely defunct or simply do not exist:
-The Freemasons
-The Illuminati
-Humanoid lizards
-The pope
-all jewish people
-all white people
-all men
-space aliens
-The Knights Templar
-Skull and Bones
-the mafia
-Russia
-China
-escaped Nazi war criminals
-creatures from "the hollow earth" (see below)

The Hollow Earth
This one states that the Earth is actually hollow, often with one or more of the following additions:
-that there are people or strange creatures living on the inner surface
-There are enormous chasms at the north and south pole leading from the outside to the inside
-Our side is actually the inside and we are prevented from seeing the antipode of the earth when we look directly upwards due to extreme warping of space at the center

The Jersey Devil
Date: 17th century up to modern day

A strange creature resembling a demonic bat-winged pegasus with the head of a goat is sometimes sighted in the Pine Barrens of southern New Jersey

MikelaC1
2016-11-05, 07:53 AM
Shadow Government
Date: Up to the current time

The following people or groups are often cited as secretly controlling all world decisions, despite all appearances to the contrary, insurmountable logistical issues, and/or the fact that many of them are either completely defunct or simply do not exist:
-The Freemasons
-The Illuminati
-Humanoid lizards
-The pope
-all jewish people
-all white people
-all men
-space aliens
-The Knights Templar
-Skull and Bones
-the mafia
-Russia
-China
-escaped Nazi war criminals
-creatures from "the hollow earth" (see below)

The Hollow Earth
This one states that the Earth is actually hollow, often with one or more of the following additions:
-that there are people or strange creatures living on the inner surface
-There are enormous chasms at the north and south pole leading from the outside to the inside
-Our side is actually the inside and we are prevented from seeing the antipode of the earth when we look directly upwards due to extreme warping of space at the center

The Jersey Devil
Date: 17th century up to modern day

A strange creature resembling a demonic bat-winged pegasus with the head of a goat is sometimes sighted in the Pine Barrens of southern New Jersey

Dont forget the Bilderberg Group

WarKitty
2016-11-05, 09:24 AM
There's also the rainbow sex parties one, and the rubber wristbands one, but I don't think either of those are PG-13 enough to post on the forum publicly.

Well, I'll explain a little. The rubber wrist band...back when those jelly wrist bands were popular, there was a rumor that different bands corresponded to different, uh, sex acts. A guy snapping the correct colored wrist band on a girl would get the corresponding sex act.

Laylyn
2016-11-05, 04:56 PM
Time Period: ongoing
Topic: The honest politician

There is an ongoing mass belief that a random person making promises when elected or continuing to be in power is going to follow everything they said and the world will be better. The reality is the world never actually seems to get better, thus I'll respectfully submit it is a widely held urban myth.

/salute

Bohandas
2016-11-05, 06:07 PM
Polybius
Time: Late 20th century/golden age of video arcades

According to legend there was an old cabinet-style arcade videogame called "Polybius" - allegedly designed either by the CIA and/or by a company named Sinneslöschen ("sense deletion") to test some kind of mind control device - which contained subliminal messages that would either erase the player's mind and/or cause them to be plagued by constant nightmares that would make them unable to ever get a good night's sleep

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polybius_(video_game)

SlyGuyMcFly
2016-11-06, 05:54 AM
Ghost Hitchhiker
Wiki link (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanishing_hitchhiker). Driver picks up hitchhiker at night, hitchhiker disappears without a trace, often from the moving vehicle. There's plenty variations on the story, in some the hitchhiker is just a lost soul attempting to reach it's final destination, in others it's more malicious and attempts to get the driver killed by distracting them. There are also versions in which it's benevolent and aids the driver in some way, often via a prophetic warning.

Dont forget the Bilderberg Group

Rothschilds too!

EDIT: Now with 100% more real links!

WarKitty
2016-11-06, 11:23 AM
Ghost Hitchhiker
Wiki link. Driver picks up hitchhiker at night, hitchhiker disappears without a trace, often from the moving vehicle. There's plenty variations on the story, in some the hitchhiker is just a lost soul attempting to reach it's final destination, in others it's more malicious and attempts to get the driver killed by distracting them. There are also versions in which it's benevolent and aids the driver in some way, often via a prophetic warning.

Rothschilds too!

A variant of this one: A driver picks up a hitchhiker, usually a young woman. She gets out at a certain house, but leaves a personal item such as a sweater or scarf in the car. Upon knocking on the door to attempt to return the item, the driver discovers that the item belongs to the deceased daughter of the family that answers the door. Typically the daughter was killed in a car crash.

Laylyn
2016-11-06, 09:27 PM
Ghost Hitchhiker
Wiki link (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanishing_hitchhiker). Driver picks up hitchhiker at night, hitchhiker disappears without a trace, often from the moving vehicle. There's plenty variations on the story, in some the hitchhiker is just a lost soul attempting to reach it's final destination, in others it's more malicious and attempts to get the driver killed by distracting them. There are also versions in which it's benevolent and aids the driver in some way, often via a prophetic warning.

Rothschilds too!

EDIT: Now with 100% more real links!

Would the legend of the Hook have followed this one as well?

/salute

neriractor
2016-11-08, 06:33 PM
Time Period: 10 years ago and far before
Topic: El silbon/the whistler

A freakishly tall, slim man. He carries the bones of his father, whom he murdered, on a sack hanging from his back, when is coming you hear the clacking of the bones against each other, but not before you hear an unnatural whistle around you, it is said that when you hear it close The whistler is far, and when you hear it far he is right by your side.

Cranelotus
2016-11-10, 11:46 AM
Here's a Korean one:

A man, plagued with acne, reads an article online about a new way of cleansing his skin. All he needed to do was catch a cockroach before he went to bed and place it on his pillow. Out of desperation, he followed the instructions. He caught a cockroach outside his apartment and placed the insect on his pillow before he went to bed. When he woke up, the cockroach was gone. He ran to the mirror to see that his acne had cleared up overnight. Completely ecstatic, he got dressed and headed to school. The next morning, he felt itching and pain on his face. He took a closer look at his skin and found that his pores had been filled with cockroach eggs.

MrZJunior
2016-11-11, 01:54 AM
There's the Washington Bunny Man, a story about a man in a rabbit costume attacking people with an axe.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunny_Man

The_Admiral
2016-11-13, 09:41 PM
Ghost Hitchhiker

Well I've debunked one ghost hitchhiker legend. My family thinks my aunt is the source of the most famous one in Malaysia.

Bohandas
2016-11-13, 10:26 PM
The Tunguska Blast of 1908
In 1908 in siberia there was an extremely large explosion near the Tunguska River which knocked over all the trees in a 28 mile radius. It's generally believed to have been the result of either an asteroid impact or the exposure to the atmosphere and subsequent ignition of a large natural gas field, some conspiracy theories however hold it to have been the result of a flying saucer crash or of somebody somehow developing a nuclear bomb several decades before World War 2