PDA

View Full Version : Not taking advantage of my cleric spells

JobsforFun
2016-11-03, 10:29 AM
I am currently playing in a 5e homebrew campaign. I am a level 7 Death Domain cleric our group consist of 6 people (including me). Sometimes I feel as if some people don't take advantage of my cleric spell, such as aid which for 8hours gives them +5 current and maximum HP I feel as if half the time no one adds heir extra HP. Same goes for other spells.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-11-03, 10:47 AM
Maybe some kind of visual reminder? Like a card or a post-it note stuck to their foreheads?

JobsforFun
2016-11-03, 11:51 AM
Maybe some kind of visual reminder? Like a card or a post-it note stuck to their foreheads?

I'll use sharpie ;)

Safety Sword
2016-11-03, 06:03 PM

Counters such as coins work too. When you lose the points you hand them back to the cleric player and when he casts the spell he hands out the counters to the appropriate players

JellyPooga
2016-11-03, 07:05 PM
Using sweets or candy might incentivise them to use them better than counters. "You can only eat them when you lose them. If the spell expires and you haven't used them, I get them back." Food is a powerful training tool; we're basic creatures beneath everything else.

JobsforFun
2016-11-03, 08:28 PM
Using sweets or candy might incentivise them to use them better than counters. "You can only eat them when you lose them. If the spell expires and you haven't used them, I get them back." Food is a powerful training tool; we're basic creatures beneath everything else.

This is the kind of thing I come to this site for...

Slipperychicken
2016-11-04, 10:18 AM

Seconding note-cards. Make the important bit visible, like "+1d4 to attacks & saves", and put the notecard somewhere people can see it, and point to it when someone seems to be forgetting.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-11-04, 10:21 AM
Seconding note-cards. Make the important bit visible, like "+1d4 to attacks & saves", and put the notecard somewhere people can see it, and point to it when someone seems to be forgetting.
Heck, make up a couple for each spell and pass them out when you cast them on someone.

Slipperychicken
2016-11-04, 10:28 AM
Heck, make up a couple for each spell and pass them out when you cast them on someone.

Personally, I find I'm usually okay with just one notecard and putting it on the table. If you pass them to people to hold individually, it could wind up underneath a character sheet or something like that. At the same time it could work better, so by all means try it out.

DKing9114
2016-11-10, 01:47 PM
I've started combining notecards and d10s (playing a paladin), so that I can track both the length and type of spells/abilities I have running. When I use Channel Divinity, I'll put the card saying "Sacred Weapon" down, set a die at 10, and count down each turn after that.

Zorku
2016-11-10, 06:04 PM
Seems like half the people I play with can't remember buffs they give themselves.

That candy idea sounds like it would be pretty effective though.

Safety Sword
2016-11-10, 06:31 PM
Seems like half the people I play with can't remember buffs they give themselves.

That candy idea sounds like it would be pretty effective though.

And hey, you're a cleric, so if they get a sore stomach from a sugar overload you can just heal them

Ruslan
2016-11-10, 08:23 PM
If they forget your buffs, don't buff them. Buff yourself and call fire to rain on your enemies. That's your MO from now on.