PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Wonder if this would be effective?

CaPtMalHammer
2016-11-03, 04:24 PM
Here is a build I was working on that I found kind of interesting. Its based on Girrallians blessing:)

1-Sorcerer (Stalwart) Focus in BattleAxe
2-6 Barbarian
7-11 Abjurant Champion
12-20 Frenzied Bezerker

once you get blessing wield 2 two handed Battle Axes :)

Could also technically go this route

Barbarian-2
Druid-3-8
Frenzied Bezerker-9-16
Master of many forms 17-20

Thoughts?

Keep it as simple as possible please! :)

InvisibleBison
2016-11-03, 05:03 PM
It seems like a nice, flavorful build. The main problem I see is that since you're TWFing without a light weapon in your offhand, you're suffering a higher attack penalty. As a solution, wield an axe variant of a sunblade (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#sunBlade), which would be both a handaxe and a dwarven waraxe. A bit expensive, but not out of the question at level 12 or 13.

John Longarrow
2016-11-03, 07:06 PM
I'd put one level of Barbarian for your 1st. This way you get more HP and SP, plus you are far more likely to survive 1st.

As a Sorcerer, check with your DM about taking other abjurations that can boost your AC that are not normally on your list OR think about dipping Favored Soul to get them.

Your goal is to get your spell casting so you can boost your AC prior to someone hitting you at higher levels. Once you get frenzy your character becomes very dependent on boosting your AC prior to getting hit.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-11-03, 07:14 PM
I think you would be better off taking the Obah-Blessed template, which does exactly what you want: it adds two or four extra arms, and they're not magic arms, so they can't be countered in any way (well, technically dismembering works, but that's DM purview).

That said, being a multi-armed whirlwind of death is pretty classy :smallamused:.

MisterKaws
2016-11-03, 08:36 PM
Necropolitan Anthropomorphic Giant Octopus is a +0 LA race with six arms, so I guess you'd like to look at it.

CaPtMalHammer
2016-11-04, 07:46 AM
Interesting. yeah was looking at races. Thri-Kreen has to high a level adjustment. even the +1 non-psionic version because of those pesky racial hit dice:) Favored Soul is an interesting idea for a dip didn't think about that:) but your right even wearing armor this build has a small AC problem:) Any other configurations you think class wise to get a similar effect?

CaPtMalHammer
2016-11-04, 07:53 AM
also was thinking maybe Diopsid for this build from Dragon Compendium? if so I could get rid of caster levels all together.

CaPtMalHammer
2016-11-04, 08:16 AM
maybe something like this?

Diopsid

1-Level Adjust
2- Barbarian (Extra Rage)
3-Fighter-(Power Attack)
4- Fighter- (Cleave) (Destructive Rage)
5- Ranger
6- Ranger (Two Weapon Fighting)
7- Ranger (Intimidating Rage)
8-15- Frenzied Bezerker (Oversized Offhand)(Great Cleave)
16-20- Ranger (Improved Two Weapon Fighting)(Improved Buckler Defense)(Iron Will)

MisterKaws
2016-11-04, 09:40 AM
maybe something like this?

Diopsid

1-Level Adjust
2- Barbarian (Extra Rage)
3-Fighter-(Power Attack)
4- Fighter- (Cleave) (Destructive Rage)
5- Ranger
6- Ranger (Two Weapon Fighting)
7- Ranger (Intimidating Rage)
8-15- Frenzied Bezerker (Oversized Offhand)(Great Cleave)
16-20- Ranger (Improved Two Weapon Fighting)(Improved Buckler Defense)(Iron Will)

Y'know... Octopus has more arms, plus natural reach via tentacles.

Darrin
2016-11-04, 12:12 PM
It seems like a nice, flavorful build. The main problem I see is that since you're TWFing without a light weapon in your offhand, you're suffering a higher attack penalty. As a solution, wield an axe variant of a sunblade (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#sunBlade), which would be both a handaxe and a dwarven waraxe. A bit expensive, but not out of the question at level 12 or 13.

It would be easier (and cheaper) to use Oversized TWF here. Battle-axes (or dwarven waraxes) are one-handed weapons, but you can grip them two-handed. For the purposes of Oversized TWF, which doesn't specify how many hands you use to wield it, your one-handed offhand weapon would count as light. For the purposes of Power Attack and whatnot, you get two-handed multipliers.

However, there's a dysfunctional rule regarding Str bonus on damage. PHB p. 134 says an offhand weapon only gets x0.5 Str bonus, and then says wielding a weapon two-handed gets a x1.5 Str bonus, with no way to resolve the contradiction if you're wielding an offhand weapon with two hands.

CaPtMalHammer
2016-11-04, 12:23 PM
Right but that race allows you to dual wield two handed weapons because of their 4 arms with normal two weapon fighting penalties and still getting 1.5x str. :) or you can use a large version of a one handed weapon in each hand. but dual wielding two handed weapons seems better to me.

guess I didn't tie the race post into the build well enough it was based on Diopsid from DC as the race!:)

Darrin
2016-11-04, 02:47 PM
Right but that race allows you to dual wield two handed weapons because of their 4 arms with normal two weapon fighting penalties and still getting 1.5x str. :) or you can use a large version of a one handed weapon in each hand. but dual wielding two handed weapons seems better to me.

The "normal" two-weapon fighting penalties for not having a light offhand weapon are -4 primary/-4 offhand. If you use a one-handed weapon and Oversized TWF, your TWF penalties are -2 primary/-2 offhand.

If you want to wield a pair of large-sized bastard swords/dwarven waraxes, then you can use EWP + Oversized TWF to get 2d8 damage and two-handed damage bonuses, and your TWF penalties are only -2 primary/-2 offhand.

CaPtMalHammer
2016-11-04, 03:40 PM
I looked at that:)

I changed the build to this:

Diopsid

1-- Barbarian (Extra Rage)
2-Fighter-(Two Weapon Fighting)
3- Fighter-(Weapon Focus-Halberd)
4- Fighter
5- Fighter (Combat Reflexes)
6- Fighter (Spinning Halberd)
7- Fighter (Improved Two Weapon Fighting)
8- Fighter
9- Fighter (Power Attack)(Weapon Specilization-Halberd)
10-Fighter
11-Fighter (Greater Weapon Focus-Halberd)
12- Fighter (Cleave)
13- Fighter (Melee Weapon Mastery- Slashing)
14- Fighter
15-Fighter-(Weapon Supremacy)(Improved Buckler Defense)
16-Fighter
17- Fighter-(Great Cleave)
18- Fighter- (Quick Draw)
19- Fighter-(Improved Toughness)
20-Level Adjust

Just to see. I can see the benefit of the large 1 handed weapons as well. making it -2/-2 or if you monkey grip making it a huge weapon in you main two arms for -4/-2 or the spinning halberd build above which is -4/-4 but forgoes the frenzied bezerker. Don't know there seems an awfully lot of ways to take this lol