PDA

View Full Version : Help on a battlefield control sorcerer build

CinuzIta
2016-11-03, 04:49 PM
Hello everyone!

In a campaign I'm currently running, I'm planning to have a sorcerer as one of the major NPCs. He's going to be a guide for the pcs (and if the situation really needs it, as this is the first game for my players, a sort of deus ex machina).

Now, I didn't want this character to be a pure blaster. What I wanted it to be was a battlefield control sorcerer and I was also looking at the Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil, Archmage and Abjurant Champion prcs.

Can you guys help me out by suggesting me some nice builds that uses these classes? Mind that I don't like x9/y7/z4 multiclasses, so try to use as little as you can. The sorcerer is a human, stats are not yet defined but I may choose them arbitrarily. Feel free to give suggestions on everything, feats and spells included as I'm not a spellcasting expert!

Thank you!

TheFamilarRaven
2016-11-03, 05:10 PM
If it's the first game for your players (to which I take to mean it's their first game ever), what wrong with a vanilla Sorcerer? Especially if you don't want anything 6x/7y/5z multiclass complicated?

You shouldn't build him to be able to trivialize encounters with effective use of BFC since he is an NPC and that would steal the show from the PC's.

What level is this party? If it's there first game ever, why are they starting at a level at which NPC's have PrC's? If they aren't, why do you want to include an NPC who is far higher level than the rest of the party?

You want to include a competent NPC to help teach new players? That's totally fine. But he doesn't need to have some uber build to be effective. Just use a regular Sorc and give him a decent selection of BFC spells.

Edit: Some useful spells out of Core off the top of my head..

1st: Color Spray, Grease, Magic Missile, Silent Image
2nd: Scorching Ray, Darkness
3rd: Fireball, Haste, Slow, Fly
4th: Ivard's Black Tentacles

CinuzIta
2016-11-04, 05:09 AM
Yes, this is their first game ever. Nothing's wrong with a vanilla sorcerer, in fact I can totally go with it; the players are at level 2 now and they're meeting this npc, which at first will be level 5. The npc is going to level up out of scene but at the same rate of the pcs. I asked for a full build because of these. With complicated multi class I was referring mainly at the tendency of creating uber complicated characters with levels in 4/5 different classes, that was just an example.

He's not meant to steal the scenes from the protagonists but he's supposed to be a fishy person, acting sometimes as an ally and sometimes as a rival for the group so I want him to be able to hold his ground without necessarily kill the characters, thus battlefield control to impede them.

The initiate of sevenfold veils was a request dictated from my personal tastes as I'd like to try it out, but If there are classes that better serve my objective feel free to go wild

CinuzIta
2016-11-05, 10:02 AM
Shameless bump!

Anyone? :P