PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Complete Champion - "Sacred Item" spell clarification

Seraph Evereach
2016-11-03, 05:56 PM
Here is the text for Sacred Item spell:

Transmutation [Good]
Level: Cleric 4, Paladin 4,
Components: V, S, DF,
Casting Time: 1 full round
Range: Touch
Target: Object touched
Duration: Permanent until discharged
Saving Throw: Will negates (object) and Will partial; see text.
Spell Resistance: Yes (object)

You imbue a touched object with latent positive energy. If the item thereafter touches or is touched by an undead creature of any alignment, or by an outsider or shapechanger of evil alignment, the positive energy discharges with a flash of light, dealing 1d4 points of positive energy damage per caster level (maximum 10d4) to that creature.

If the creature discharging the item is undead, it must save against fear or flee in terror (or cower, if it cannot move) for 1d4 minutes. On a successful save, the creature is merely shaken for the same length of time.

If the creature discharging the item is a shapechanger, an image of its natural form or most common alternate form appears for 1d4 rounds, superimposed over its body, revealing its true nature to all witnesses.

Sacred item counters and dispels profane item (see above).

My question is this: can you cast this spell on a bunch of arrows/bolts (even melee weapons), and now each such attack on the mentioned creature types will deal all that extra damage? I understand it's one time only, but casting this on like 20 arrows will now grant you 20 attacks at +10d4 damage each correct?

Troacctid
2016-11-03, 06:09 PM
Yes. It is permanent until discharged.

XionUnborn01
2016-11-03, 06:51 PM
Yeah, you've got it right. I'm surprised I haven't seen this brought up before. It's not crazy OP or anything but just a good use of a spell that's pretty thematic.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-11-03, 07:42 PM
Undead have grossly inflated HD and HP. Between that and the fact that archers tend to lean pretty heavily on precision damage, it seems like a pretty decent use of the spell.

Outsiders and shapechangers have cause to be concerned but the former are dangerous enough to warrant serious fire-power being brought to bear and the latter are difficult to pick out as targets.

All in all, I'd say it's a solid but certainly not overpowered application. Nevermind the vulnerability to dispelling.

MisterKaws
2016-11-03, 07:49 PM
You can also make a big paper ball made of a lot of buffed papers, and just throw all of them at once at someone.

Nifft
2016-11-03, 08:01 PM
Here is the text for Sacred Item spell:

Transmutation [Good]
Level: Cleric 4, Paladin 4,
Components: V, S, DF,
Casting Time: 1 full round
Range: Touch
Target: Object touched
Duration: Permanent until discharged
Saving Throw: Will negates (object) and Will partial; see text.
Spell Resistance: Yes (object)

You imbue a touched object with latent positive energy. If the item thereafter touches or is touched by an undead creature of any alignment, or by an outsider or shapechanger of evil alignment, the positive energy discharges with a flash of light, dealing 1d4 points of positive energy damage per caster level (maximum 10d4) to that creature.

If the creature discharging the item is undead, it must save against fear or flee in terror (or cower, if it cannot move) for 1d4 minutes. On a successful save, the creature is merely shaken for the same length of time.

If the creature discharging the item is a shapechanger, an image of its natural form or most common alternate form appears for 1d4 rounds, superimposed over its body, revealing its true nature to all witnesses.

Sacred item counters and dispels profane item (see above).

My question is this: can you cast this spell on a bunch of arrows/bolts (even melee weapons), and now each such attack on the mentioned creature types will deal all that extra damage? I understand it's one time only, but casting this on like 20 arrows will now grant you 20 attacks at +10d4 damage each correct?

How do you get this spell to apply to 20 objects as a single casting?

Some spells have special targeting dispensation for ammunition, but I don't see that language in this spell.

I think you get to permanently imbue one arrow per one casting. Which is still great, and you should totally do that during down-time, but I think it's not going to affect a whole stack of arrows at once.

Troacctid
2016-11-03, 08:43 PM
How do you get this spell to apply to 20 objects as a single casting?
Presumably by using 20 different castings rather than a single one.

Nifft
2016-11-03, 10:01 PM
Presumably by using 20 different castings rather than a single one.

That would be the actual legal rules, yes.

Which is not what I'm asking about.

Thanks for trying to help, even if you're a bit off-base about what I'm actually asking.

MisterKaws
2016-11-03, 10:22 PM
That would be the actual legal rules, yes.

Which is not what I'm asking about.

Thanks for trying to help, even if you're a bit off-base about what I'm actually asking.

This kind of spell is supposed to be cast in your downtime: while traveling, resting at home, staying at the city while waiting for the Artificer to finish all those damn items - stuff like that. That being the case, you don't actually need shenanigans for it.

Nifft
2016-11-03, 10:27 PM
I think you get to permanently imbue one arrow per one casting. Which is still great, and you should totally do that during down-time, but I think it's not going to affect a whole stack of arrows at once.

This kind of spell is supposed to be cast in your downtime: while traveling, resting at home, staying at the city while waiting for the Artificer to finish all those damn items - stuff like that. That being the case, you don't actually need shenanigans for it.

Indeed, you're echoing my previous post.

I think we all agree about what the spell does, and that it's legitimately a good use for downtime spellcasting.

What I was asking about was the wording in the OP's post, which could be read to indicate a different understanding -- that's what I want to clear up. Your correct interpretation of the spell won't help clear up the OP's wording, of course, so your response seems to be talking past my question.