PDA

View Full Version : "Cinematic" videos for D&D session

fikoantunes
2016-11-03, 07:33 PM
Hello there.

I would like to share with you all some special work I did to enhance my latest 3.5 campaign: a batch of custom cinematic videos.

Here's the "Teaser Trailer" for the next installment of my campaign:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pbTaudg66Q&list=PLk94cq6ujB4KEBZ_ixAK_hnY1NhYkWOQv&index=1

And here's the "Opening Cinematic":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIvJzxf0kIE&list=PLk94cq6ujB4KEBZ_ixAK_hnY1NhYkWOQv&index=2

The reason I share this it's because I've rarely seen tailor-made videos like these made for group-specific campaigns. And also because I've put lots of efforts to pull these out. So any feedback would be appreciated :)

Tiktik Ironclaw
2016-11-03, 08:58 PM
Those are some pretty cool videos man! I wish I had some talent with animation or at least more skill with image editing, I think this is a rather interesting idea. Are you the one doing the voicework? Sounds very impressive.

Also; your campaign opens with the PCs having set about the destruction of the world? That is quite the beginning of what I hope will be an incredible series of adventures. Good luck to you!

Batou1976
2016-11-05, 03:51 AM
It's-a verra nice-a. :elan:

I've had the idea before to do something like this to enhance my campaigns, particularly back when I ran Star Wars d6... but I lacked the resources and the know-how. :smallfrown:
What did you use to make these? How did you learn to make them? Any formal education, or did you learn-by-doing?

fikoantunes
2016-11-07, 05:38 PM
Thank you for the feedback.

I didn't do it all by myself: I had to "hire" assistance from coworkers (it helped I lot that I work with video editing). The voice isn't mine for instance, neither a few of the vfx. But the main advantage is the time I had to assemble all the videos. As I said, I had more than a year to prepare the whole campaign (and it's a part of an ongoing campaign, that's why the vids mention previous events; for people from outside our group, I must feel like catching a complex TV series on its seventh season...). Ultimately, I more thrilled because I've never seen an effort like that. From all the RPG sessions I've attended, the use of tech like that would be just some mp3 for bg music or the DM would turn his laptop's screen to show a picture or two to the players.