PDA

View Full Version : How can I best protect my adventuring companions?

Goladar
2016-11-03, 10:18 PM
Hi everybody!

I'm currently playing a Domain(Conj) Wizard/Spellguard/Iot7V in a group consisting of a Paladin/Hospitlier/Sword of the Arcane Order(Our melee guy who never casts any wizard spells), a Sorcerer/Incantatrix glass cannon, a Druid(veteran of the group and always has a spell or animal to help save our ass in emergencies(even if it doesn't follow the rules)), a Cleric\Divine Disciple\Contemplative who only uses his bow and almost never casts any spells, a Rogue\Griffonrider who just joined, and a Warlock\Warmage glass cannon.

I want to protect us from as many threats as possible. To this end I've bought a Ring of Spell Battle for myself and the Sorcerer, I'm always wearing a Banner of the Storm's Eye, I have a contingent Magic Circle to prevent mental control of anyone in the party, I always cast Detect Scrying, and I generally fill the role of a BFC Wizard.

I've thought about casting False Vision, but it's not really going to help against anyone with True Seeing and I have to concentrate on it or it's a static image.

Any ideas for in and out of combat?

Thanks,
GE

ETA: We're 15th level and our source books are PGtF, PHB, DMG, CArc, CChamp, CDivine, MoF, MM1, BoED, BoVD, UE, LoM, FRCS, Draconomicon, MIC, AEG, MotW, CMage, DotF, and EoE.

Fizban
2016-11-04, 12:30 AM
Anticipate Teleportation (or Greater): delays and gives warning of incoming teleports within immediate vicinity. Imperfect as a savvy foe can land further away before ambushing you, but then you've got spot checks and some distance.

Troacctid
2016-11-04, 12:38 AM
Get a lantern archon, either as a familiar or with a spell such as planar binding, create lantern archon, or call faithful servants. They have a built-in magic circle against evil so that you can save yourself a contingency, and they can use aid at will to give everyone some free temporary HP.

Deophaun
2016-11-04, 01:01 AM
Flesh to stone, shrink item, secret chest. Set your miniature statuesque party members adrift in the ethereal plane and not even a wish can get to them. That's protected!

NevinPL
2016-11-04, 03:31 AM
Flesh to stone, shrink item, secret chest. Set your miniature statuesque party members adrift in the ethereal plane and not even a wish can get to them. That's protected!
+5
Or you can just reconsider your life choices as adventurers :)

Goladar
2016-11-04, 08:00 AM
Anticipate Teleportation (or Greater): delays and gives warning of incoming teleports within immediate vicinity. Imperfect as a savvy foe can land further away before ambushing you, but then you've got spot checks and some distance.

Cool. I'll definitely prepare that.

Get a lantern archon, either as a familiar or with a spell such as planar binding, create lantern archon, or call faithful servants. They have a built-in magic circle against evil so that you can save yourself a contingency, and they can use aid at will to give everyone some free temporary HP.
Hmmm.... Create Lantern Archon only lasts an hour and they only perform non-hazardous tasks for free. And I don't think my PC would be ok with forcing a sentient being to serve her. So that means that I'd have to come up with a reasonable deal for my DM and I know he'd subvert it. Call Faithful Servants has the same problem as CLA, it only lasts a minute.

Funny

SangoProduction
2016-11-04, 08:25 AM
Hmmm.... Create Lantern Archon only lasts an hour and they only perform non-hazardous tasks for free. And I don't think my PC would be ok with forcing a sentient being to serve her. So that means that I'd have to come up with a reasonable deal for my DM and I know he'd subvert it. Call Faithful Servants has the same problem as CLA, it only lasts a minute.

When you summon sentient creatures, you only get one that wants to answer the call. "I'm a servant of Good, seeking the aid of a Lantern Archon for strictly non-hazardous work. Please respond soon." These are celestial beings! They are made of the very essence of Good. Furthering the Good cause helps them.

I think devils let themselves be summoned, not out of the goodness of their heart, but for...ulterior purposes...obviously.

Fizban
2016-11-04, 10:49 AM
Call Faithful Servants has the same problem as CLA, it only lasts a minute.
Huh what? Call Faithful Servants lasts a year (or rather, is instantaneous and they serve for a year), I think you've confused casting time with duration. The spell is quite clear, there's no mention of payment or bargaining and it explicitly gives you a control limit expressed in HD like good old Animate Dead. As literal embodiments of good and law under your direct control, any attempt at "subversion" by the DM is blatant bs, if you don't like it don't allow it in the first place.

The problem is the Celestial component, which is meant to make the spell exclusive to actual celestials and certain prestige classes. The best way I've found to bypass it is with the Holy Transformation cleric spell, but since your book list doesn't include Spell Compendium for some reason that's a no go even if you could get it. Limited Wish comes to the rescue with that sweet spell duplication, 300xp is dirt cheap compared to what it'd take to otherwise pull off the same tricks and at 300xp per casting you're actually paying a price if you get them killed (aside from your guilty conscience).

Goladar
2016-11-04, 01:32 PM
[QUOTE=Fizban;2136637

The problem is the Celestial component, which is meant to make the spell exclusive to actual celestials and certain prestige classes. The best way I've found to bypass it is with the Holy Transformation cleric spell, but cks and at 300xp per casting you're actually paying a price if you get them killed (aside from your guilty conscience).[/QUOTE]

You're right. I was reading the wrong line. If I gain the outsider type and polymorph into a celestial, would that count?