PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Archetype Help

Oakfriend
2016-11-04, 01:15 AM
How would you define my high-level Tiefling Warlock's archetype/alignment?

I grew up on the streets. All I had was my little brother. We never knew our parents. We did whatever we needed to survive; we stole, we worked for criminals. Society hates us and we trust no one.

When I was 14, the mob kidnapped my brother. Helpless and full of misery, I took extreme measures. Through my underworld connections, I knew of demons and fiends. I heard whispers of gaining great power. With some persistence, I stumbled upon an old, dusty tome.

Asmodeus saw in me great potential. Our pact is simple. I carry out his deeds, and in exchange he grants me the power to crush my enemies.

Five years have passed. I have become immensely powerful. Hope of seeing my brother is dwindling, but this is my only reason for living. I do unspeakable things for my patron, yet I feel no remorse. Their suffering can only equal mine. The world is cruel, and so am I. I derive no pleasure from my work, and have no desire to harm the innocent, but will do whatever I must to achieve my goals. There is no going back now.

Kane0
2016-11-04, 01:34 AM
Assuming 5e:

Urchin background, Fiend pact, Lawful Evil (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheDragon). Probably pact of the Chain at level 3, though Tome and Blade are also good depending on how you go about your deeds.

That said, your alignment doesn't really matter if you have a personality (again, assuming 5e).

Inevitability
2016-11-04, 01:40 AM
What exactly is Asmodeus making your warlock do? If he's putting up pamphlets advertising the Church of Asmodeus, that's probably not evil, but murdering a few devil-opposed individuals would be.

In fact, I'd go as far to say that the nature of Asmodeus' requests determines this build's alignment in full.

Oakfriend
2016-11-04, 02:04 AM
What exactly is Asmodeus making your warlock do? If he's putting up pamphlets advertising the Church of Asmodeus, that's probably not evil, but murdering a few devil-opposed individuals would be.

In fact, I'd go as far to say that the nature of Asmodeus' requests determines this build's alignment in full.

It hasn't exactly come up in campaign yet, but he sneaks off from the party to track down targets. He incapacitates them, then sends them to Asmodeus. Whatever happens after that is not his concern. Perhaps they're extorted, tortured, killed, etc. Targets can be truly sinful people, virtuous agitators that Asmodeus wants to intimidate, or unsuspecting people that he wants to corrupt.

Since the campaign is fairly high level (starting at 14), I'm assuming that his targets are also quite powerful, and therefore more significant than just common fools being tricked. Perhaps accomplished assassins, high priests, wealthy nobles, lesser demons, etc.

Kane0
2016-11-04, 03:49 AM
Also, the fact that you deal with Big A directly says a lot