PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Archer. Whirling frenzy vs ferocity

Snig
2016-11-04, 07:57 AM
Title says it all. I'm leaning toward ferocity, but whirling frenzy looks good too. I'll be a mounted archer, relying mostly on archery, but no slouch at melee either.

Eldariel
2016-11-04, 08:09 AM
Ferocity gives a penalty to ranged attacks at any real range. Whirling Frenzy grants an extra attack. Archers have lots of ways to boost hit chance but only few for damage. Whirling Frenzy wins by a landslide.

Snig
2016-11-04, 08:57 AM
Ok, I should also mention I'll be only taking barbarian 1 / wilderness rogue 10 / beast heart adept 10.

I don't suppose this changes anything? Sneak attack requires me to be withing within 30ft anyhow.

Eldariel
2016-11-04, 09:29 AM
Ok, I should also mention I'll be only taking barbarian 1 / wilderness rogue 10 / beast heart adept 10.

I don't suppose this changes anything? Sneak attack requires me to be withing within 30ft anyhow.

Remember to take Rogue-level first for the extra skill points. And yeah, it doesn't really change anything: an extra attack is extra attack and the more bonus damage you have, the better it gets (particularly since flat-footed enemies are often quite easy to hit). And your assumption of Sneak Attack range limitation is actually flawed: 1st level Wizard-spell called "Sniper's Shot" can easily be Wanded (Wand costs 750gp), takes swift action each round to cast and removes range limitations from Sneak Attack entirely.

Darrin
2016-11-04, 09:42 AM

Seconding Whirling Frenzy over Ferocity.

Consider adding Dead Eye (Dragon Compendium) and the Hit-and-Run Fighter ACF (Drow of the Underdark) to add your Dex bonus as damage.

Crossbow Sniper (PHBII) can increase your sneak attack range to 60'.

Dragon Devotee 4/Unseen Seer 4 progresses sneak attack at the same rate as 8 levels of Rogue but gives you 5 levels of Sorcerer spellcasting.