PDA

View Full Version : Adventure beasts and druids

Maxilian
2016-11-04, 03:19 PM
Hello everyone, i was wondering, do you allow players to have acess to the Beast added in the different adventures as Wildshape options (As long as those beasts are within the Wildshape limitations)?

Note: And by extension, allowed to the PHB Beast Master Ranger (As long as they are within the CR and size limitation) and to the respective summoning spells (as long as they are from the appropriate CR)

There are not many beasts, but for example:

Storm King's Thunder add: Tressym, Crag Cat and Hulking Crab

hymer
2016-11-04, 03:39 PM
Just to make sure it's mentioned: One of the limitations on wild shape is that you can only pick forms you've seen.

In my current 5e campaign, I'm pretty liberal with having animals be seen off-screen by druid PCs (less so for maritime animals). But I think the three SKT beasts are sufficiently interesting (and rare) that they should be encountered in-game before it makes sense that a PC has seen them. The same goes for the steeders from OotA.
Conjure Animals needs to have an answer as to who picks the type of animal conjured. I run it that the player pretty much picks it, and as the DM I just veto stuff that gets too bizarre or inexplicable (reptiles in the snow or sea animals on land in particular). But it's also within the right of the DM and the stated intention of the rules to have the DM entirely pick the kind of beast summoned, only leaving the CR to the player.

Maxilian
2016-11-04, 03:44 PM
That's true, but only for Wildshape, you don't need to have seen a certain creature to summon it with another spell like Summon Fey or Summon Woodland creature, and Volo add a new couple option for those spells:

Fey: Boggle, Darkling and Darkling Elder, Annis Hag, Meenfolk, Quickling, Redcap, Yeth Hound

Beast: Cranium Rats, Dino, Cow and Aurochs, Dolphin

Elemental: Fail Snail

Is there any other Beast / Fey / Elemental that is added in any of the adventures that can be used for Wildshape or summoned by any of the summoning spells? (Excluding those mentioned in this post and the first post)

hymer
2016-11-04, 03:47 PM
I edited my post the minute before you were done. :smallsmile:
I don't have Volo's yet, but I've ordered it. Once I get it, I'll update my druid guide accordingly.

Maxilian
2016-11-04, 03:54 PM
I edited my post the minute before you were done. :smallsmile:
I don't have Volo's yet, but I've ordered it. Once I get it, I'll update my druid guide accordingly.

Putting Volo aside (I have checked and it only add what i have listed above -Assuming i did not miss anything while i was checking)

hymer
2016-11-04, 03:58 PM
Putting Volo aside (I have checked and it only add what i have listed above -Assuming i did not miss anything while i was checking)

You noticed the OotA steeders?
One guy argued that you could summon the elemental Myrmidon's from PotA. I don't believe that's correct.

Edit: Actually, you could conjure them by RAW with a 7th level slot and Conjure Elemental. But I'm certain the guy was wrong and talking about the Myrmidons, so maybe it was wild shape? Anyway...

Greeniron
2016-11-06, 01:07 AM

You mentioned everything worth anything, there are some cow variants but they use the cow statblock with only a small added ability. Technically rot grub swarm also but, there is no spell to summon a swarm, yet.

RickAllison
2016-11-06, 01:29 AM
I will usually allow for my druids to pick up one or two non-standard environments. I accept that they likely have seen more conventional forms like bears and such, and many other creatures can be seen if they just travel to places where they are appropriate. If someone wants to be from the Underdark so they can have access to Steeder forms, go for it (I have a back-up PC who became an adventurer when his steeder farm was destroyed, so naturally i would only use it if the DM okayed having those forms). I would find it unlikely that he has been out there and along these major seacoasts to see Hulking Crabs, and high atop mountains to see Crag Cats, and in the deserts to see giant scorpions, and in the arctic to see mammoths.

Pick two strange environments and call it good. Forests and lower mountains seem like standard fantasy fare and two strange environments gives plenty of leverage to cover backstory.

Maxilian
2016-11-21, 11:48 AM
You noticed the OotA steeders?
One guy argued that you could summon the elemental Myrmidon's from PotA. I don't believe that's correct.

No, thanks for the info

Edit: Actually, you could conjure them by RAW with a 7th level slot and Conjure Elemental. But I'm certain the guy was wrong and talking about the Myrmidons, so maybe it was wild shape? Anyway...

Also thanks for this, i checked only the supplement and it did not include the Myrmidons, so this is a nice addition

Giant2005
2016-11-21, 12:28 PM

You missed all of the dinosaurs from Volos.

CursedRhubarb
2016-11-21, 12:47 PM
I always figured it didn't make any sense for the summon or conjure animal spells to be able to summon creatures you've never seen before.

"I summon a Rhinoceros!"
"What's that?"
"I have no idea but I'm going to summon one, think they are some kind of bird."

Keeping it to creatures they've seen also prevents shenanigans where the druid summons a creature they've never seen, only because they want to be able to wildshape into it but they have yet to see one.

"I turn into a rhino!"
"You've never seen one so you can't."
"Okay, I summon a rhino, then turn into one!"

Tossing some in for scenery as they travel or letting them get some from background areas would help with it. Also could let them gain some during downtime, perhaps they check out traveling exotic merchants or a traveling circus or zoo goes through the area.

Giant2005
2016-11-21, 01:26 PM
I always figured it didn't make any sense for the summon or conjure animal spells to be able to summon creatures you've never seen before.

"I summon a Rhinoceros!"
"What's that?"
"I have no idea but I'm going to summon one, think they are some kind of bird."

Keeping it to creatures they've seen also prevents shenanigans where the druid summons a creature they've never seen, only because they want to be able to wildshape into it but they have yet to see one.

"I turn into a rhino!"
"You've never seen one so you can't."
"Okay, I summon a rhino, then turn into one!"

Tossing some in for scenery as they travel or letting them get some from background areas would help with it. Also could let them gain some during downtime, perhaps they check out traveling exotic merchants or a traveling circus or zoo goes through the area.

That is true if the Druid is picking the animals himself - obviously he can't willfully summon something that he isn't aware exists.
Generally it is more the Druid summoning animals and then being surprised that some creatures he has never encountered before have shown up (because the DM chose the animals and sprinkled in some crazy crap).

hymer
2016-11-21, 01:31 PM
You missed all of the dinosaurs from Volos.

In our defence, Volo's hadn't come out when this thread started. :smallsmile:

Zorku
2016-11-21, 02:59 PM
I allow the new stuff without any real fear that it will break the game, since CR limits and the swimming/flying restriction pretty much covers what I'd expect out of animals that aren't monstrosities.

That said, they're not working with the full list from the get go, but if anybody else lives in an area then they can find out about the local wildlife pretty quick and go looking for that when they get the chance.

I mostly let my players summon whatever they want, but they're all aware that I'm not going to be too happy if they decide to pull the old flying mammoth polymorph trick, so they just haven't ever gone there. e: Found out about the thread that suggests summoned creatures should use the caster's spell slots. I will probably start doing it this way.