PDA

View Full Version : Mounted Rogue?

Snig
2016-11-04, 03:55 PM
Hey guys. I've been playing around with the idea of a mounted rogue. I was thinking i'd give my mount the adaptable flanker feat, for a reliable source of flanking, so me and my mount can wade into combat together and sneak attack. Outside of combat I could use a composite shortbow until I close the distance. I know its hard to pull off a character that is both good at melee AND range, but thats what i'm attempting.

Once in melee, I was thinking I would use a two handed weapon + power attack (making a full attack because my mount is moving me) and add my sneak attack untop of all of that. When i'm outside of melee and have a reliable way to gain a ranged sneak attack, i'd stick to using my bow.

I was thinking i'd go Barbarian 1 (whirling frenzy), Rogue 9 / Beast Heart Adept 10.

Feats would be something like Power Attack, Cleave, Rapid Shot, PBS, Mounted Combat feat from Fingerbone Necklace.

Beast Heart Adept grants me a free AoO when my companion (worg) attacks, giving me another sneak attack + Power Attack + potential cleave.

I know its not optimal, but I'm really looking for ways to make it work.

Any suggestions?

barakaka
2016-11-04, 04:53 PM
Unfortunately, if your mount moves, you can't full attack unless you have the Mounted Pounce or Mounted Full Attack class feature (Ashworm Dragoon from Sandstorm has one of these). You could take the Lion Totem Barbarian alternative class feature, but IIRC it's debatable whether the regular pounce counts when mounted.

You can still put out some monstrous (ha!) damage the same as any rogue though if you use the Craven feat. Especially with the extra AoO from Monstrous Tactics, and the Extra Monstrous Companion. In fact, you could have a pretty cool Robilar's Gambit sort of build if you wanted.