PDA

View Full Version : Cashing in during dungeoneering?

Scryangi
2016-11-04, 06:44 PM
Hello everyone.

Is there a way to convert raw gold into gp without shops? I am playing this unique and fabulous merchant class here which can transmute objects and even creatures into gold once per day. But then you are lugging around 3000 pound of golden trolls, and there is no Handy Haversack around.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?170912-I-have-made-tin-into-gold!-3-5-Base-Class-PEACH-WiP

Thank you. :-)

InvisibleBison
2016-11-04, 06:49 PM
Fabricate could be helpful; if the caster has a high Craft skill, you could make golden art objects that have a much higher value to weight ratio than raw gold.

Scryangi
2016-11-04, 06:52 PM
Fabricate could be helpful; if the caster has a high Craft skill, you could make golden art objects that have a much higher value to weight ratio than raw gold.

Smart.

I do recall some 4E ritual that converted items into some arcane esssence that was universally accepted as currency since it's raw magic or so. It was kept in bottles.

SethoMarkus
2016-11-04, 08:07 PM
Maybe a creative combination of Forgery and Craft(whitesmithing)? :smallbiggrin:

Vizzerdrix
2016-11-04, 08:13 PM
Ancestral Relic is the only thing I can think of. Id take a belt as my item and start combining several of them, starting with the one that has all the pockets.

Yahzi
2016-11-04, 09:10 PM
Is there a way to convert raw gold into gp without shops?
The same way everyone else does... with a really big hammer and a mold. Put a lump gold in, pound it into shape, rinse, repeat. (That's why it's called "striking coins.")

But I don't understand how converting 3,000 pounds of gold statue into 3,000 pounds of gold currency helps you...

Coidzor
2016-11-04, 10:20 PM
Indeed, what are you doing with the coinage if not buying things?

GilesTheCleric
2016-11-04, 11:48 PM
As was mentioned in the recent thread about the value of gold and its density, there's trade bars in Drac 277. If you're effectively a merchant, it makes sense to me that you could have your own bullion "brand" or mark or whatever it is that distinguishes its origin as being from your own trade company. It would still require some processing, but probably less than making coins (they're also less flightly than coins -- easier to count, harder to lift with Mage Hand). To more effectively transport them without bags of holding, Tenser's Floating Disc, Shrink Item, or mules all work pretty well. You could even get a dwarf hireling for silvers/day from AaEG. Scrolls of teleport/ plane shift would also allow you to pop into town easily in the middle of a dungeon.

Scryangi
2016-11-05, 01:20 AM
The same way everyone else does... with a really big hammer and a mold. Put a lump gold in, pound it into shape, rinse, repeat. (That's why it's called "striking coins.")

But I don't understand how converting 3,000 pounds of gold statue into 3,000 pounds of gold currency helps you...

Indeed, what are you doing with the coinage if not buying things?

My character is in the middle of nowhere with no shops around, and looking for a way to carry these things. The class has little to no abilities beyond gold making and using that gold to buy scrolls and potions with it. It's the most fun support class I ever played--like an artificer but without the Bane and metamagic cheese--but it needs some planning to be effective.

*Edit* If I could turn the statues in something lighter but more valuable, like platinum or arcane powders, then I could carry them around.

As was mentioned in the recent thread about the value of gold and its density, there's trade bars in Drac 277. If you're effectively a merchant, it makes sense to me that you could have your own bullion "brand" or mark or whatever it is that distinguishes its origin as being from your own trade company. It would still require some processing, but probably less than making coins (they're also less flightly than coins -- easier to count, harder to lift with Mage Hand). To more effectively transport them without bags of holding, Tenser's Floating Disc, Shrink Item, or mules all work pretty well. You could even get a dwarf hireling for silvers/day from AaEG. Scrolls of teleport/ plane shift would also allow you to pop into town easily in the middle of a dungeon.

Oh, these are wonderful ideas. Could you link me to that thread? I did a quick search. Is it the one about rich characters? Is Drac 277 one of the online Dragon magazines?

GilesTheCleric
2016-11-05, 12:08 PM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?504812-The-price-of-Diamond-and-other-materials) is the thread I was thinking of, but there's also this one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?504906-Elaborate-Money-System).

Drac is Draconomicon; I usually number drag mags like. eg Drag283 39. I don't believe that there's more than a few dragmags that are online and have 3.5 content. My collection shows that only #360-364 are that way. All the rest were Paizo paper copies.

barakaka
2016-11-05, 12:51 PM
This really isn't airship science. Pirates solve this issue all the time.

Dig a hole
Put the money in
Cover the hole
Make a map or find a landmark that you'll remember
Leave the hole
Get skill ranks in knowledge: geography/profession: cartography just in case
Come back with more resources

Coidzor
2016-11-05, 01:27 PM
Securing it and coming back for it later with a portable hole or some scrolls of shrink item or a wagon or two sound good to me.

If you're really worried, hack off the bits that can be dealt with without smelting the gold or taking forever and take those with you to finance getting the rest.

Quertus
2016-11-05, 02:56 PM
Take the sculpt self feat, gain some way to swallow whole, and try to convince your DM that golden creatures are a great XP component substitute for spending XP on sculpt self? It's still pretty terrible, but at least you aren't wasting the gold you can't carry...

Scryangi
2016-11-22, 06:21 PM
Take the sculpt self feat, gain some way to swallow whole, and try to convince your DM that golden creatures are a great XP component substitute for spending XP on sculpt self? It's still pretty terrible, but at least you aren't wasting the gold you can't carry...

Thank you, good sir or madam. I have done exactly such. The rules do say you can replace the XP with 5 times the gold.

Golden Ascendancy: Sybin reaches the pinnacle of her transformation, and transforms permanently into moving gold. She gains a permanent +4 natural armor, and 4 dr/mithral (stacks with all other damage reduction.) She gains the positive effects of all her Secrets of Metal, gain +2 to her Charisma score, +2 to her Strength score, and a +4 on all diplomacy checks. If she so chooses, she may make a disguise check with a +5 bonus to disguise the fact that her flesh is gold, though her skin is still very bright. If someone slays her permanently, her body is worth a fortune. Finally, she ceases to age at all.

Bad Wolf
2016-11-23, 01:30 AM
What about the 'Astral Mart' Dream of Wealth ability? It seems designed for this.

Yahzi
2016-11-23, 03:22 AM
If someone slays her permanently, her body is worth a fortune.
Assuming she's average size for a person, that's about 140,000 gp. (140 lbs means 4100 cubic inches, and gold weighs .7 lbs per cubic inch).

Darrin
2016-11-23, 03:21 PM
Ok, this is really dumb and will probably get books thrown at your head... but according to PHB p. 131:

"A beginning character is assumed to have an artisan’s, entertainer’s, explorer’s, monk’s, peasant’s, scholar’s, or traveler’s outfit. This first outfit is free and does not count against the amount of weight a character can carry."
(emphasis added)

By strict RAW, this only applies to *that* particular outfit, but presumably we can extrapolate this to say that whatever your current outfit is, it doesn't count towards your weight carried.

So. Extrude your gold into thread. Weave it into cloth. Use that cloth to create an explorer's outfit... with, uh... really, really large gold buttons. Exchange your current outfit for your gold explorer's outfit. Make sure you include a hat that can protect you from sharp-cornered DMGs.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-11-23, 04:10 PM
How about some ring gates? Leave one at home and take the other of the pair with you so you can stuff things into it, to be guarded by whatever you choose to leave there for that purpose.

Also, shrink item is really good for this, and it segues perfectly with the above.

A handy haversack or other extradimensional storage space can also be used with the above. Shrink as much gold as you can, stuff the haversack full, pass the haversack through one of the pair of ring gates, dump it out, and repeat. Relatively inexpensive, considering how much gold you're transporting.

This works best if you've got a bank handy in a planar metropolis somewhere. Dump the gold on them and they can guard it. Once it's theirs, your account should be safe, regardless of whether the actual gold is stolen or destroyed or whatever, since it's all on them.

Cirtona Pox
2016-11-24, 06:35 PM
How about some ring gates? Leave one at home and take the other of the pair with you so you can stuff things into it, to be guarded by whatever you choose to leave there for that purpose.

Also, shrink item is really good for this, and it segues perfectly with the above.

A handy haversack or other extradimensional storage space can also be used with the above. Shrink as much gold as you can, stuff the haversack full, pass the haversack through one of the pair of ring gates, dump it out, and repeat. Relatively inexpensive, considering how much gold you're transporting.

This works best if you've got a bank handy in a planar metropolis somewhere. Dump the gold on them and they can guard it. Once it's theirs, your account should be safe, regardless of whether the actual gold is stolen or destroyed or whatever, since it's all on them.

Portable Hole filled with plaster (or Rock To Mud then Mud To Rock so it makes a smooth surface) to about two feet from the opening.
Carve and enchant a Teleportation Circle into it with the end being your vault.
Whenever you reach "too much" gold you unfold the PH, lay it out, put the stuff on it, and use the command word.