PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Storing Item Spell?

Phantom's Eye
2016-11-04, 07:17 PM
I was wondering if there was a spell that stores/holds items (non-magical or magical) weapons, equipment, or armor. I know there is a glove of storing, bag of holding, portable hole.

But is there a spell that holds my equipment for a certain amount of time, when the duration is up, or upon command the item reappears in appropriate spot. (So for an example, i want to sneak in weapons into a palace. I cast the spell, my daggers that were on my belt, disappear. Upon successfully getting in, i release the spell and the daggers reappear on my belt.)

I was also wondering if there were other disposable equipment/scrolls that have similar properties of glove of storing, but once broken, or upon use they break.

Venger
2016-11-04, 07:22 PM
I was wondering if there was a spell that stores/holds items (non-magical or magical) weapons, equipment, or armor. I know there is a glove of storing, bag of holding, portable hole.

But is there a spell that holds my equipment for a certain amount of time, when the duration is up, or upon command the item reappears in appropriate spot. (So for an example, i want to sneak in weapons into a palace. I cast the spell, my daggers that were on my belt, disappear. Upon successfully getting in, i release the spell and the daggers reappear on my belt.)

I was also wondering if there were other disposable equipment/scrolls that have similar properties of glove of storing, but once broken, or upon use they break.

there are many.

hoard gullet, dimensional pocket, and leomund's secret chest are all possible options. for weapons specifically, absorb weapon is also an option.

Cirtona Pox
2016-11-04, 07:40 PM
Unfortunately, for as many spells as there are to store items, there are fewer and more effective ways to prevent such incursions. Guards of palaces in magic regions tend to be trained to look for silver keys and tiny ornate boxes.

Your best bet is to use a couple of cursed -1 daggers. You simply leave them at home and then, if combat arises, they port to your hands immediately. It's a really old trick but still very effective. All it costs is a Remove Curse afterward. Fairly cheap insurance if you just got paid for a regicide job.

Be careful when dealing with extradimensional spaces. You never know what can go in where without consequences - ripping of bags, stuff getting crushed under other stuff... I once DM'ed an adventure where the entire room was an enlarged Portable Hole. Guess what happened when the party carrying bags of holding went in...

NevinPL
2016-11-05, 04:35 AM

1. Arcane Mark the item in question.
2. Drawmij’s instant summons.
3. Break the gem when needed.

Maybe some shenanigans with Shalantha's Delicate Disk.

Fizban
2016-11-05, 06:05 AM
The spell you're looking for is Absorb Weapon (SpC, Assassin 2), not that it's any more secure against a magically prepared target. For a potentially inconspicuous magic item that's actually affordable, try a Cloak of Weaponry (MiC, 2,300gp). You can also have Called Armor (MiC, +2,000gp) that teleports to you (and could have armor spikes attached), and the Ring of Arming (MiC, 5,000gp) that can swap a whole set of gear.

There really aren't that many spells that store items. Hoard Gullet is for storing hoards and is terrible for adventuring use. Dimensional Pocket is a class exclusive power, Absorb Weapon is a class exclusive spell, and Secret Chest is a much higher level convoluted spell. Then you also have the amusing bit where Secret Chest (and also Sending) take a bunch of casting ability but the items based on them are always dirt cheap because people want them to be dirt cheap.

Except Gloves of Storing, probably because someone realized free action store/retrieve is actually useful and decided they needed Feat tier pricing at 20k instead of storage pricing at 2k, before they threw out that pricing method. Meanwhile there's non-magical gear that says "lol free action retrieval." all the time.

Bronk
2016-11-05, 07:52 AM
Except Gloves of Storing, probably because someone realized free action store/retrieve is actually useful and decided they needed Feat tier pricing at 20k instead of storage pricing at 2k, before they threw out that pricing method.

Until they came out with the 'Gloves of the Master Strategist', which combine 20k 'Gloves of Storing' with 1/day True Strike ability, and end up being 3600g somehow...

Fizban
2016-11-05, 07:57 AM
Until they came out with the 'Gloves of the Master Strategist', which combine 20k 'Gloves of Storing' with 1/day True Strike ability, and end up being 3600g somehow...
Check your dates bro, Ghostwalk is 3.0. The reason people bring that one up is because they missed it in the 3.5 update (unlike the Kimono of Storing from OA which got the usual treatment), so while all other versions of the item had their price jacked up this one specifically can be grandfathered in RAW. It was not written after the price increase.

Bronk
2016-11-06, 05:56 AM
Check your dates bro, Ghostwalk is 3.0. The reason people bring that one up is because they missed it in the 3.5 update (unlike the Kimono of Storing from OA which got the usual treatment), so while all other versions of the item had their price jacked up this one specifically can be grandfathered in RAW. It was not written after the price increase.

Exactly. You just explained why the price is still valid.

Fizban
2016-11-06, 07:22 AM
Exactly. You just explained why the price is still valid.
. . . Do you even remember your own post?

The bolded portions indicate that you thought GotMS were printed after the Gloves of Storing price increase. I explained that they were not. Regardless of your claim that the price is valid (it is clearly not if you have even the tiniest respect for the blindingly obvious intent of the writers), trying to imply that I just proved your point when I was correcting your ignorance doesn't make any sense. The point that you wrote was that GotMS were printed later and ignored the price increase, which I specifically addressed for being false.

For the OP, there's another spell that can help, though I find it a little over the top. Swift Ready is a spell hidden away in Forge of War that lets you pick a set of armor and weapons and basically cover them all with a swift action version of the Called property. It does all this for the same 2nd level slot as Absorb Weapon, and while it's still not a Sor/Wiz spell it is on a few more lists and also an Artificer infusion.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-11-06, 07:42 AM
(Mass) Time hop can do this. Basically, get a job as carpenter with the king's entourage, and when preparing the king's tourney stand, (mass) time hop a bomb (sack of delayed blast fireballs with lots of Energy Substitution [pretty colours!]) into the afternoon's festivities. It doesn't work so well on weapons, but it's nearly impossible to counter, so it's worth using when spatial fortification is significantly stronger than temporal.

Darrin
2016-11-06, 10:53 AM

Ghostwalk received a 3.5 update (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20031225a), thus it is a 3.5 source. In the absence of of any specific errata, the 3.0 price is now the 3.5 price.

If a DM wanted to adjust the price, then there's the "minor adjustment" clause on page 4 of the 3.5 DMG. However, the 20K price is too darned high. 3600 GP is fine for most games.

Segev
2016-11-06, 11:33 AM
Shrink Item can make something into a cloth icon of itself. Make your weapon part of your coat of arms on your tabard.

Fizban
2016-11-06, 12:50 PM
Ghostwalk received a 3.5 update (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20031225a), thus it is a 3.5 source. In the absence of of any specific errata, the 3.0 price is now the 3.5 price.
Does not contradict anything I said, I am fully aware of the update and the fact that it did not catch the gloves. I guess you're taking issue with the grandfather clause but I don't really care what you call it.

If a DM wanted to adjust the price, then there's the "minor adjustment" clause on page 4 of the 3.5 DMG. However, the 20K price is too darned high. 3600 GP is fine for most games.
And if a DM wanted to make an informed decision rather than ignoring the obvious discrepancy, they might enjoy knowing the facts re: it was not printed after the update the way bronk said and the third similar item recieved the same treatment as the one in the DMG (in a hard to find magazine entry rather than a pdf because WotC fails at errata). I don't think it's worth 20k either, but "Ha, the update for this book didn't change this so they totally meant to leave this one specific version at 1/6 the price of the others! Even though WotC is known to be terrible at errata!" is some of the saddest excuse for "optimization" there is.