PDA

View Full Version : Dune: the butlerian jihad

TheManicMonocle
2016-11-04, 10:48 PM
So, am I the only one who's read this book series? Cause I thought it was awesome, but I haven't ever talked to anyone who's read it

On a related note, think it would make a good background for a tabletop?

Berserk Mecha
2016-11-05, 12:21 AM
I never got around to reading any of the post-Frank Herbert books, so I can't say that I have an opinion on them. I do know Tycho's opinion on them, however. (https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/10/15) But other than that, yeah, I suppose that they'd make for an interesting tabletop setting. There's a huge galaxy full of feuding houses and whatnot. Almost seems like a sci-fi themed Song of Ice and Fire, really. Instead of greenseers and shadow binders, there's mentats and bene gesserit. Oh, and both have sword fights.

J-H
2016-11-05, 10:04 PM
I read a few of them. They were 'meh' overall. They did not capture the feel of the Dune universe or Frank Herbert's style.

JoshL
2016-11-05, 11:00 PM
The final two books were a good story hampered by painfully bad writing. But really good, and glad to see how the story ended (and, in fact, what the point of the story from the very beginning actually was). All those prequel books?

...yeah, not a fan. Gave them a go, but they came across more as fan fic than good books. But part of the problem is Herbert was SUCH a good writer, and I didn't process how really good he was until someone else was writing in his universe.

If I recall, there was a really limited edition Dune RPG that came out, but I've never met anyone who has played it. I would love to give it a go!