PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Saga: Block (lightsaber)

Talya
2007-07-12, 05:58 PM
The Block talent with a lightsaber allows a jedi to block incoming melee attacks with their lightsaber. The make a "Use the Force" skill roll against a DC equivalent to their attacker's attack roll.

So...what happens if you block a hand-to-hand attack? There are no rules for block doing damage, but I cannot imagine that punching a lightsaber is good for you. I suppose the same question could be said about someone attacking you with a crowbar or similar...the lightsaber blocking it should ruin the melee weapon unless it's specifically designed to withstand a lightsaber's energy.

Skjaldbakka
2007-07-12, 06:00 PM
I would imagine that 'blocking' an unarmed attack would just be bringing the blade anywhere close to the fist- if you succeed, the guy's attack is foiled because he has to pull back his hand, and if you fail, the guy gets around your lightsaber with his attack.

Matthew
2007-07-12, 06:21 PM
Good idea that, Skjaldbakka. I was having a hard time envisioning that. Not so sure about Vibro Blades and the like, though.

Attilargh
2007-07-13, 02:13 AM
Block does not necessarily mean that the Jedi puts the lightsaber in front of the attack every time he uses it. It could just as well mean threatening to slice off the opponent's arm or leg, striking the floor to pelt him with sparks or something like that. By the book, when he uses Block, the Jedi uses the Force and his lightsaber to save himself from a very dangerous attack. No further flavour text is inserted.

Ignoring Damage Reduction is already a pretty strong feature of the lightsaber, the signature weapon of a pretty strong class. If foes sundered their own weapons almost every time they tried to strike a Jedi, it would become patently ridiculous.

Not that as Deflect can be used on shots that miss to Redirect them, so could Block be used on blows that miss to destroy the weapons.

Jayabalard
2007-07-13, 08:40 AM
If foes sundered their own weapons almost every time they tried to strike a Jedi, it would become patently ridiculous. Why? If you try to punch me, and I'm holding a light saber, you should expect to see your arm laying on the floor afterwards.

seriously... if you can intercept a shot from a blaster, intercepting a fist should be a cake walk by comparison.

TheRiov
2007-07-13, 09:09 AM
canonically a lightsaber will slice through pretty much any weapon that doesn't include:
Mandalorian Iron
Cortosis Ore
Amphistaff

And a block is generally a hard block--a deflection might be a minor graze.

If you're actually striking to injure someone you're doing it with enough force that you cannot withdraw the attack that simply. In order to inflict enough damage to your target you MUST commit enough momentum and force to it that you cannot simply stop yourself cold.

Anyone foolish enough to attack a lightsaber wielder bare handed deserves their fate.

Tokiko Mima
2007-07-13, 09:21 AM
I wonder why no one in the Star Wars universe has thought of making Mandalorian Iron bullets, or cortosis weave two-handed swords to deal with Jedi? Lightsabers aren't exactly very heavy, and wouldn't have the weight to properly block such an attack, I would think. You still couldn't take on a Jedi one-on-one, but it would be a lot closer of a fight.

Sorry! Random Geeky thought! :smallsmile:

Attilargh
2007-07-13, 09:34 AM
Ridiculous game-wise. No-one would ever go to melee with a Jedi, unless equipped with costly lightsaber-resistant weapons. Sure, it's realistic and logical and whatnot, but I don't see it as very fun.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-07-13, 10:01 AM
I wonder why no one in the Star Wars universe has thought of making Mandalorian Iron bullets, or cortosis weave two-handed swords to deal with Jedi? Lightsabers aren't exactly very heavy, and wouldn't have the weight to properly block such an attack, I would think. You still couldn't take on a Jedi one-on-one, but it would be a lot closer of a fight.

That kind of stuff existed in Knights of the Old Republic. The verpine vibro-weapons had a small force field that helped deflect incoming attacks, and also allowed them to block lightsabers without getting destroyed.

Technically, lightsabers should ignore armor bonuses from some armors, but I think due to balance and complication (every armor would need an extra entry for lightsaber interaction) they left it out and kept it more simplified.

TheRiov
2007-07-13, 10:57 AM

They did. Cortosis is fragile though. its a rock not a metal and a crumbly one at that. they managed to weave it into swords. I belive the only planet where Cortosis was actually found was destroyed (or all the cortosis was mined) somewhere between the KOTOR era and the fall of the Old Republic.

Skjaldbakka
2007-07-13, 11:14 AM
If you're actually striking to injure someone you're doing it with enough force that you cannot withdraw the attack that simply. In order to inflict enough damage to your target you MUST commit enough momentum and force to it that you cannot simply stop yourself cold.

sorry to burst your bubble, but that is patently false. there are numerous legitmate unarmed strikes that do not require full commitment in order to deal damage.

Diggorian
2007-07-13, 11:43 AM
I dealt with it in the previous edition by ruling that meleers vs. lightsabers needed Martial Arts or Weapon focus with their weapon, or they had to attack defensively.

If they didnt attack defensive they'd risk taking half damage to their weapon from the lightsaber if the attack missed because of it.

Attilargh
2007-07-13, 11:46 AM
I dealt with it in the previous edition by ruling that meleers vs. lightsabers needed Martial Arts or Weapon focus with their weapon, or they had to attack defensively.

If they didnt attack defensive they'd risk taking half damage to their weapon from the lightsaber if the attack missed because of it.
I can't recall anything like that from the Revised Edition. Do you have a page number or a referece handy?

Skjaldbakka
2007-07-13, 12:01 PM

That makes sense.

Diggorian
2007-07-13, 12:16 PM
I can't recall anything like that from the Revised Edition. Do you have a page number or a referece handy?

Uh, I recall it was on page 2 of Digg's SW Houserules :smallbiggrin:

When I say I ruled it read Rule Zero :smallwink:

Attilargh
2007-07-13, 12:34 PM
Uh, I recall it was on page 2 of Digg's SW Houserules :smallbiggrin:

When I say I ruled it read Rule Zero :smallwink:
Oh, my bad. :smallredface: I must've read that "It was dealt with" or something.

Yeah, it makes sense, in a way. However, I still can't help but feel there is something wrong when the pencil-neck spaghetti-arm Jedi diplomat with some fencing training effortlessly slashes his lightsaber through weapons and limbs when it's not his turn, and then can't do squat when his Initiative count comes up.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-07-13, 12:40 PM
Oh, my bad. :smallredface: I must've read that "It was dealt with" or something.

Yeah, it makes sense, in a way. However, I still can't help but feel there is something wrong when the pencil-neck spaghetti-arm Jedi diplomat with some fencing training effortlessly slashes his lightsaber through weapons and limbs when it's not his turn, and then can't do squat when his Initiative count comes up.

I'm almost positive there was a slew of martial arts feats (they were the prereqs for a 'martial artist' type prestige class in either the NJO sourcebook, or the Heroes of the Force sourcebook). I don't have my book with me, but I can look it up when I get home.

At least in Saga edition the Soldier doesn't have a 6d8 weapon to worry about when attacking a Jedi...

Diggorian
2007-07-13, 01:03 PM
Attilargh, I did half damage on if saber defense stopped the attack to keep that image rare and lightsabers powerful yet still reasonable. Often it only resulted in knicked up vibroblades and minor singes, no Vitality meant bad burns.

Yeah Spike, the Revised Rules had several Martial Arts feats to improved damage and crit range. Then the Heroes Guide added a dozen more different styles. A Soldier PC in my camps would take out Fallen Jedi with shock boxing gloves routinely: "Vroom ... Vroom ... Dodge! ... Uppercut! ... Body blow, Body blow!" :smallcool:

TheRiov
2007-07-13, 05:11 PM
sorry to burst your bubble, but that is patently false. there are numerous legitmate unarmed strikes that do not require full commitment in order to deal damage.

I didn't say it was impossible to abort a strike, just that its MUCH harder and by in large any true strike (not a feint that is well performed so it is near indistinguisable from a true strike) do require a significant momentum.

(momentum and the transfer of momentum is what does the damage) This is even more true of most weapons (not counting stuff like escrima that relies on blinding speed a minor strikes) they still have to build up significant speed.

The whole point of a hard block (not a parry where you're channeling force in an ineffective direction) is you're applying force against force but in a different direction than the attacker intended.

Example: you throw a jab, and I bring my right arm around hard against your forearm to bring your attack short and at the same time inflict a minor blow to your arm.

Now you're suggesting that its possible to make a brawling/melee type attack without a significant impact--that may be true for a nerve strike or something like that, but if you were in control of the attack 100% I wouldn't be blocking at all. A block, is by defintion, an UNsuccessful attack, meaning you're NOT hitting where you intend with the force you intended. If I block with a lightsaber, it means I succeeded and you failed.

Now just to head off your counter argument that it may be possible to stage a series of attacks to draw my guard away by forcing me into a series of attacks you WANT me to block so that you create an opening: Thats TRUE but to do that you're not fully commiting to those attacks--they are more closely aligned with feints.