PDA

View Full Version : More class skills?

Kurald Galain
2007-07-12, 07:11 PM
Is there some way of making skills into class skills other than taking a different class? E.g. a feat or a race that does so?

Yechezkiel
2007-07-12, 07:14 PM
Cosmopolitan (Faerun Campaign Setting/Players Guide to Faerun) and Able Learner (Races of Destiny) are two feats.

Well, Able Learner works if you are cross classing. Cosmopolitan works if you straight class.

Education (Faerun Campaign Setting/Players Guide to Faerun) gets you all the Knowledges.

marjan
2007-07-13, 04:58 AM
You also have a feat in Races of Destiny (City Slicker I think) that lets you treat Gather Information, Knowledge (local ) and one other skill as class skills for all of your calsses.
Human paragon lets you choose one skill which is allways treated as class skill for you. You also choose ten class skills for it which combined with Able Learner makes them pretty much class skills for all your classes.

mostlyharmful
2007-07-13, 05:30 AM
Educated fromthe Faerun book gives all knowledge skills as class skills for all your classes,

some of the cleric domains can add random skills as well if you wanted a CoDzilla, knowledge adn nature and travel and a couple of others i forget.

Saph
2007-07-13, 05:56 AM
Several races get certain skills as class skills, too. For example, Uldra (from Frostburn) have Speak Language as a permanent class skill.

Which skills did you want?

- Saph

Yuki Akuma
2007-07-13, 07:34 AM
Martial Study (Tome of Battle) adds the key skill for whatever school you choose to your class skill list for all classes.

It also grants you a martial maneuver, but that's not what you were asking for. :smallbiggrin:

serow
2007-07-13, 07:38 AM
Skill Knowledge from Unearthed Arcana

Kurald Galain
2007-07-13, 10:14 AM
Which skills did you want?

Primarily knowledge stuff, so the Education feat seems like a good deal except that we're not playing in Faerun, so I believe it is not allowed.

Swooper
2007-07-13, 10:20 AM
Primarily knowledge stuff, so the Education feat seems like a good deal except that we're not playing in Faerun, so I believe it is not allowed.
I can understand banning stuff like Dragonmarks outside Eberron, but how is education FR specific, apart from appearing in the FRCS? :smallconfused: Just seems like they lobbed it in whatever book they were working on at the moment when they thought of it. Try asking your DM, and ask for an explanation if he says 'no'.

Diggorian
2007-07-13, 10:29 AM
Skill Knowledge from Unearthed Arcana

That's only for that variant Rankless Skill System I think.

Bagera
2007-07-13, 11:40 AM
I know Education was also printed in the Eberron Campaign Setting, so it's not exactly campaign specific it's probably somewhere else too.

PlatinumJester
2007-07-13, 12:00 PM
Jack of all Trades from Complete Adveturer
Able Learner from Races of Destiny (I think) makes all skills class skills but only if you're human or doppelganger.

horseboy
2007-07-13, 12:15 PM

If your character is from Dyvers they have a feat available called "Well Read". It turns all knowledge skills into class skills.

JackMage666
2007-07-13, 12:27 PM
From my understanding of Able Learner, it doesn' quite make them class skills. I makes them cost 1 point per rank, but the max is still the cross-class max unless they're class skills (so a Fighter with Able Learner could still only have a Max of 2 ranks in Spot, but it's much cheaper.)

The Exemplar (CA) gives you all skills as class skills, at first level.

Yuki Akuma
2007-07-13, 01:46 PM
From my understanding of Able Learner, it doesn' quite make them class skills. I makes them cost 1 point per rank, but the max is still the cross-class max unless they're class skills (so a Fighter with Able Learner could still only have a Max of 2 ranks in Spot, but it's much cheaper.)

The Exemplar (CA) gives you all skills as class skills, at first level.

Yes, but due to the way skill caps work, if you have a skill as a class skill for one class, your skill cap for that skill is 3 + HD. So, thanks to Able Learner, you could, for example, take a level fo Exemplar and just treat every skill in the game as a class skill, always.

Arbitrarity
2007-07-13, 01:48 PM
Cause what skill is a class skill in point terms (i.e. 1 pt for a rank) is determined by the class skill list of the class you just took.

Yuki Akuma
2007-07-13, 02:01 PM
Cause what skill is a class skill in point terms (i.e. 1 pt for a rank) is determined by the class skill list of the class you just took.

Never heard of the Able Learner feat, huh?

Arbitrarity
2007-07-13, 02:04 PM
No, I remembered that. It's why you need able learner, instead of taking 1 level of exemplar and being done. Or a level of rogue followed by Expert or somesuch.

Yuki Akuma
2007-07-13, 02:07 PM
Well, I did mention Able Learner, so it looked like you were correcting me...

Arbitrarity
2007-07-13, 02:12 PM
Ah, no. I was trying to clarify it somewhat, as to why you would need able learner. That's what the cause (because) was for.

JackMage666
2007-07-13, 02:43 PM
Exemplar is ECL 10 required, though, so it's not as simple. It's best to go a dip in Rogue or Expert. If you're a human, a Rogue with Educated and Able Learner should net you MOST skills, with a very small number of exceptions...

I think a Rogue/Cleric with Knowledge Domain should net you almost every skill, I could be wrong, though.

Rad
2007-07-13, 04:34 PM
there is also the much overlooked Human paragon; the first level gives you a skill as a permanent class skill.
That is pretty much the price to pay for the next two levels :smallamused: