PDA

View Full Version : Paladin + Sorcerer/Warlock? (Jedi Build)

Dralnu
2016-11-05, 07:21 PM
Hey guys! Been a long time since I last posted. I'm joining a Curse of Strahd game and decided to play a character loosely styled after Obi Wan Kenobi, both in personality and mechanics. The character won't be a jedi as the DM would like to avoid any crossover between settings but I would like to have jedi abilities.

My first three levels will be Paladin for Oath of Devotion. I like the oath from a roleplay standpoint, and the sacred weapon can be my "lightsaber."

From there, I would like to move into a full caster class, since our party lacks that (other party members are Barbarian and Ranger). I was thinking either Sorcerer or Warlock for the multiclass. Warlock has "Force Push" (Agonizing Repelling Eldritch Blast) and cant get things like Jump and Suggestion. Sorcerer can also pick up Jump/Suggestion and perhaps other neat tricks?

If the campaign runs long enough, I may continue with Paladin a bit up to levels 5 (Extra Attack) or 6 (Aura)

What do you guys suggest?

Nifft
2016-11-05, 07:33 PM
Warlock for sure. Pact of the Blade for a lightsaber.

Also, Eldritch Blast: "Use the [Force] cantrip, Luke!"

DrDinocrusher
2016-11-05, 07:37 PM
Agree on warlock. Short rest spell slots let you use smite much more frequently - pact of the blade gives you a lightsaber, repelling blast is a force push etc.

Willie the Duck
2016-11-05, 08:26 PM
It really depends on your group and the campaign. If the rest of the group is pushing for short rests (say druids, monks and fighters), then warlock wins hands down. If you have a bunch of clerics, wizards, and other long rest guys, you might not do that many short rests, and then the sorcerer might work better.

Arkhios
2016-11-05, 09:00 PM
I think I would add 3 levels of Arcane Trickster for "move object" with mage hand legerdemain and the nick of time "block/deflect" with shield spell. You won't need int for this, only str 13, dex 13, and cha 13 which might be probable if you aim for light or no armor. If I could get a Sun Blade it'd help with flavor and sneak attacks.

Specter
2016-11-05, 09:11 PM
I don't think Warlock has any good Jedi patrons, it's all too dark or weird. Mechanically the force push is Telekinesis, not EB. Suggestion is much nicer than it anyway. What I would do is take Favored Soul (Light or War domain) and worship The Force itself.

Valor Bard 8/Pally 2, for instance, would also work. In a big part of the movies Jedis were ambassators and diplomats more than anything.

If you want the lightsaber feel, be a DEX paladin and wait for the greatest weapon in the campaign.

Spiritchaser
2016-11-05, 09:26 PM
I don't think Warlock has any good Jedi patrons, it's all too dark or weird

I certainly wouldn't dissagree with Paladin sorcerer, but, on the point above I would flag that if UA material is allowed, then undying light is a shiny happy patron, and with bonus radiant damage, it has good synergy with Paladin. Probably so good it wonuldnt be allowed but...

Pex
2016-11-05, 09:34 PM
Warlock patrons are flavor text. No one as to use them specifically. Make up your own or don't have any and call the various mechanics abilities you trained for.

If you want a smack upside the head, say the Fey Pact is with Midichlorians.

Arkhios
2016-11-05, 09:55 PM
Warlock patrons are flavor text. No one as to use them specifically. Make up your own or don't have any and call the various mechanics abilities you trained for.

That would depend how strict with the rules each individual DM is, and I know there are people who read absolutely everything in the rules like it was the word of god.

Gollumstripes
2016-11-05, 11:19 PM
Won't that multi class be weaker than a pure paladin?

Arkhios
2016-11-05, 11:29 PM

Not necessarily. It depends what you're looking for from a character concept.

Daishain
2016-11-06, 12:26 PM

Not sure what makes you think that, Pally/Warlock, and Pally/sorcerer are some of the more common power builds out there. In fact, the latter of the pair is the only multiclass build with a dedicated guide I've been presented with

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502673-Unlimited-Blade-Works-The-Guide-to-the-Ultimate-Paladin-Sorcerer-Multiclass

Spiritchaser
2016-11-06, 12:41 PM

Not to knock Paladin 6/sorc14 or Paladin 8/sorc 12 which are obviously strong...

A Paladin 12 sorc 8 may not have everything they get, but it's different, and I'd argue that in most cases it's better at being a Paladin than the base Paladin is.

ClintACK
2016-11-06, 07:12 PM
GOO for Awakened Mind -- very Jedi.

I'd eventually go 6th level in Paladin -- 4th gets you an ASI, 5th Extra Attack, and 6th the great aura. You really, really want the Extra Attack.

Ask your DM if you can count Paladin levels towards Invocation level requirements. Because Otherworldly Leap would be nice to get before 15th level. (So would Lifedrinker.)

CaptainSarathai
2016-11-06, 10:04 PM

Hardly. Mixing Pally with a full caster or a Pact caster gets you MORE Smite fuel than you normally get. Warlocks get TONS (2 slots per short rest).
And what are you giving up? Past lvl6 a Pally gets what? People within 10' can't be frightened, and you can end a spell effect on Touch? Improved Smite is really good, no lie, especially if you go minimal levels Warlock and take Undying Light for +Cha to Radiant and Fire. That's about the ONLY reason to go past 6 unless you want Aura Warding at Ancients7.

If you take a Warlock, you get:
Patron at 1st level:
Fiend: Temp HP per kill equal to LockLvl+Cha
ULight: +Cha to Radiant/Fire (aka Smite)
Fey: 10' Charm or Frighten, per short rest

You also get one of the best ranged cantrips in the game.
On to 2nd level:
+Cha to Eldritch Blast
Free Mage Armor via Invoc for Dexadins
2 spells slots per Short Rest (SMITE!)

3rd level:
Refreshing slots are now Lvl2
Also pick one:
Familiar
3 Cantrips + later ritual casting ability
Summon a weapon at will + later, extra attack and much later, +Cha to all attacks

From there it's really not great to stick with Warlock unless you're a Fiend (extra TempHP gain, Hurl Through Hell at 14th) and/or a BladeLock (+Cha to weapon damage at 12th)

If you go Sorcerer, you actually gain a little less, in my opinion, until you get up there in level, and really only want to go Draconic. You get:
1st level:
AC = 13+Dex (for Dexadins)

At 6th level you get +Cha to spell damage of a certain type (choose Fire)

What makes the Sorcerer good is his Metamagic and the fact that he gets better spell choices than a straight Lock.
Using Quicken Spell, you can throw a spell as a bonus action, potentially adding something like the SCAG cantrips to net an extra weapon attack, (Smite, Improved Smite, Hunter's Mark, etc)

Sorcs also get Haste, as well as Shield and Counterspell, making them pretty good.

Oh, Draconic Sorcs also Fly at 14th level, no questions asked.

Personally, I think Pally+Lock =6, +Sorc14 is a vicious class to play if you want a Gish.

Nifft
2016-11-06, 10:05 PM
GOO for Awakened Mind -- very Jedi.

Absolutely yes.

In fact, in the previous edition, this would have been called a STAR-pact WAR-lock.

djreynolds
2016-11-07, 12:44 AM
SPOILER

There are magic swords available later on in game that can be used finesse. So a dex based paladin can be used. OoA could be cool, refluff ensnaring strike as force powers.

You could just go a plain old paladin, just don't multiclass.