PDA

View Full Version : Reconciling the [Transparent] ability?

SangoProduction
2016-11-05, 09:53 PM
Transparent (Ex): At 1st level a gelatinous cube begins to lose its color. This ability makes the cube difficult to spot, and grants it a +4 racial bonus on Stealth checks. At 4th level, the gelatinous cube loses all of it coloration and becomes fully transparent. Its racial bonus on Stealth checks increases to +8. As long the gelatinous cube stays motionless, it can make Stealth checks even while observed. If a creature fails to notice a 4th level or higher gelatinous cube and walks into it, that creature is automatically engulfed.

This was fairly clearly assuming that the GC wouldn't be wearing clothes or something...but it doesn't lose its bonus when it is wearing clothes, or holding any other item. The clear, and obvious answer is to say "you can turn your equipment transparent as well".

I, however, know of some DMs who just hate changing the fluff for anything, and then will deny this ability, because it doesn't make sense. Any help with that?

Vow of Poverty is a thing in 3.5 (we are planning on playing PF), but....it's vow of poverty.

Vaz
2016-11-05, 10:58 PM
The obvious answer I thought was that the clothes don't turn Transparent. Wtf does VoP do with anything

SangoProduction
2016-11-05, 11:10 PM
The obvious answer I thought was that the clothes don't turn Transparent. Wtf does VoP do with anything

Perhaps it was unclear (hahaha) what was being asked. Transparent is an ability that can let you basically be invisible, or at least, really hard to see. But...if you've got equipment...the fluff inherent in the ability doesn't say they also turn transparent.

I'm asking about how to convince a stingy DM to let it still work, even if you have equipment.

ben-zayb
2016-11-05, 11:14 PM
While spells/SLAs may have clauses that also affects the equipment worn by its target creature, Transparent doesn't have those. So, yes, you get a transparent ooze, with a clothing of default transparency level.

And by RAW, it can still make the check even while being observed, so I think it is cut and dry on this issue.

KillianHawkeye
2016-11-05, 11:15 PM
Gelatinous cubes don't typically wear clothes or use any equipment. They're nonintelligent oozes that just slide around, and aren't suitable creatures for Player Characters.

SangoProduction
2016-11-05, 11:44 PM
Gelatinous cubes don't typically wear clothes or use any equipment. They're nonintelligent oozes that just slide around, and aren't suitable creatures for Player Characters.

Just assume that's taken care of, since I'm asking about a Gelatinous Cube with equipment.

Zanos
2016-11-06, 12:12 AM
RAW you get the effect when wearing equipment because it doesn't say that you don't.

icefractal
2016-11-06, 02:31 AM
Also note that if you're crafting/commissioning your own items, you could make them out of glass-steel for built-in transparency. And also that objects can be made permanently invisible.

Khedrac
2016-11-06, 03:30 AM
Also note that if you're crafting/commissioning your own items, you could make them out of glass-steel for built-in transparency. And also that objects can be made permanently invisible.

And if you are not, then make sure they are all acid-proof or you won't be carrying them for very long...

Vaz
2016-11-06, 10:51 AM
Perhaps it was unclear (hahaha) what was being asked. Transparent is an ability that can let you basically be invisible, or at least, really hard to see. But...if you've got equipment...the fluff inherent in the ability doesn't say they also turn transparent.

I'm asking about how to convince a stingy DM to let it still work, even if you have equipment.

No it was clear. It's still logical that only the Gelatinous Cube turns transparent. RAW, as others have mentioned, it's entirely "legal" that you get the hide benefits. However, logically (RAW and logic do not shake hands), it's only the Cube, not the clothes which turn transparent. A Transparent GC with visible clothes cannot very well get much benefit.