PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Power attack?

SangoProduction
2016-11-05, 10:09 PM
You must choose to use this feat before making an attack roll, and its effects last until your next turn. The bonus damage does not apply to touch attacks or effects that do not deal hit point damage.

It also has bits about certain weapon types getting half the benefit of power attack, but the full drawback. So, question is, does that "before making an attack roll" mean, before any attack roll in the round, or literally just before your attack roll for an attack.

Because, if it's the latter, we can do the secondary natural attacks first, and then the primary natural attacks with power attack afterwards.

KillianHawkeye
2016-11-05, 11:20 PM
It's all of the attacks you make in a round.

TheFamilarRaven
2016-11-06, 01:32 AM
To expand upon the above post. The wording clearly says "...before an attack roll", not "...before your next attack roll". So if you make one attack without using this feat, you cannot use it later that turn.

Powerdork
2016-11-06, 10:36 AM
To expand upon the above post. The wording clearly says "...before an attack roll", not "...before your next attack roll". So if you make one attack without using this feat, you cannot use it later that turn.

I'd argue that the purpose of that line, "before an attack roll", is to prevent anyone saying "oh I hit by 4 more than I need to, I'm power attacking", rather than to prevent making some basic attacks before power attacks. There is no general rule that you can't retroactively apply modifiers to a roll, so every instance of selected modifiers to a roll must specify.