PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Support for Eldritch Knights (and Gishes in general): Elemental Safeguard [PEACH]

Gastronomie
2016-11-05, 11:15 PM
It's like a variant of Absorb Elements. Random idea that I may later submit to Ninja_Prawn's contest. :3
EDIT: I now have submitted to Ninja_Prawn's contest.

Elemental Safeguard
2nd-level abjuration
Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you would take acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder damage
Range: 60 feet
Components: S
Duration: 1 minute (concentration)
This spell grants you the ability to attract and soften the damage of a particular element. You gain resistance to the triggering damage type for the duration. Also, whenever a creature within range (expect you) is targeted for a ranged attack that deals the same type of damage as the trigger of this spell, the energy turns its direction mid-air and re-selects you as its attack target.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, for each extra slot level above 2nd, this spell can specify another type of damage that is treated as the triggering damage type of this spell, and you gain resistance to that damage type. You can specify only acid, cold, fire, lightning, and thunder damage for a triggering damage type.

The spell can be used by Druids, Rangers, Sorcerers, Warlocks, and Wizards. And as a side result, Eldritch Knights and Arcane Tricksters as well.

It's meant to be used mainly by gish builds as a weird variation of a "tank". The reason the "at higher levels" is like this is because Warlocks also get it. And I love Bladelocks, I really do.

Comments/constructive critisism greatly appreciated.

Sicarius Victis
2016-11-06, 12:05 AM
What spell lists would this be on? Wizard, Paladin, and maybe some others as well?

It seems alright, I'm just not sure about the "at higher levels" part of it.

Gastronomie
2016-11-06, 01:52 AM
I'm thinking Druids, Rangers, Sorcerers, Warlocks, and Wizards. Not sure if it's thematic for a Paladin. Added that info + why the "at higher levels~" was designed like this in the first post.

Thanks for the feedback!

Sicarius Victis
2016-11-06, 10:34 AM
I'm thinking Druids, Rangers, Sorcerers, Warlocks, and Wizards. Not sure if it's thematic for a Paladin. Added that info + why the "at higher levels~" was designed like this in the first post.

Thanks for the feedback!

It's definitely thematic for a Paladin. Just about everything about the Paladin is focused on getting opponents to hit the Paladin instead of their allies.

Gastronomie
2016-11-06, 07:32 PM
It's definitely thematic for a Paladin. Just about everything about the Paladin is focused on getting opponents to hit the Paladin instead of their allies.Well, in terms of tactics it's suited for a Paladin, but Paladins don't have many spells related to elemental control. That's why I supposed they can't use it.

Of course, it's up to the DM though.