PDA

View Full Version : Classes that have X stat as a primary one

danielxcutter
2016-11-06, 12:32 AM
Title says all. Note that this is for classes that are literally inable to function or use class features if said ability score is too low, not classes that need that stat to be effective, such as Strength for a Duskblade, or classes that benefit from having a high stat but isn't required. Also, classes that fall under one or more cases will be repeated as many times as needed, so don't worry about that.

#Strength

#Dexterity

#Constitution

*All meldshaper classes, as the number of soulmelds you can shape depends on your Con score.

-Incarnate

-Totemist

-Soulborn

*Classes that have the "rage" class feature, as the duration is affected by your Con modifier.

-Barbarian

*Other

-Dragonfire Adept

#Intelligence

*Int-based casters/manifesters.

-Wizard

-Wu Jen

-Warmage

-Archivist

-Factotum

-Duskblade

#Wisdom

*Most divine casters.

-Cleric

-Paladin

-Druid

-Ranger

*Some psionic classes.

-Ardent

-Psychic Warrior

#Charisma

*Cha-based casters/manifesters.
-Sorcerer

-Bard

-Paladin

-Hexblade

-Dread Necromancer

-Wilder

-Favored Soul

#None

-Warlock

I'm sure I've left out a lot of classes. Please leave a reply below, and I will add it.

Vizzerdrix
2016-11-06, 12:48 AM
How about a None section? Could toss warlock into it.

danielxcutter
2016-11-06, 12:54 AM
How about a None section? Could toss warlock into it.

Hmmm, good idea for both counts.

Cerefel
2016-11-06, 01:52 AM
Don't forget Dragonfire Adept for the CON section

danielxcutter
2016-11-06, 01:57 AM
Ah, thank you!

Extra Anchovies
2016-11-06, 11:30 AM
I think a good specific standard to set would be "has one or more non-optional class features which cannot be used or benefited from without a 10 in stat X". For example, an Incarnate with 10 Constitution cannot shape soulmelds. It may worth noting instances where a certain-stat-dependent class can mitigate or lose that dependence through ACFs.

It's also probably worth mentioning, especially for classes with multiple stat dependencies, what features of theirs are dependent on certain stats.

A Barbarian can work decently with 10 Constitution, because 5 rounds of rage is the better part of most combats and the Extend Rage feat (Complete Warrior) adds 5 rounds' duration to all rages and can be taken multiple times. Even with only 1 Constitution (5 when raging, net duration zero rounds), Extend Rage still makes rage usable. In lower point buys, leaving Con at 10 can be a good choice for a Barbarian, because it frees up a few points for elsewhere and the d12 HD means you'll still have some survivability (especially with Improved Toughness, which can be taken by any Barbarian). This is especially true for Pathfinder's Unchained Barbarian, who gets a pile of temporary HP every time they rage.

Dragonfire Adept is fully functional with 10 Constitution. Their breath weapon may be easy to resist, but it's still usable. The Slow Breath effect applies a Slow effect to every target for 1 round, and any target who flubs the Fortitude save (no Evasion, ha!) gets Slowed for 2 rounds instead. Weakening Breath applies a -6 penalty to Strength for 2 rounds, or 4 rounds for those with poor luck or low Fortitude.

Shadowcasters with 9 Intelligence cannot use mysteries.

Healers with 9 Wisdom cannot cast spells.

Marshals with 10 Charisma have minor aura bonuses of +0.

Warmages with 9 Charisma cannot cast spells.

Shugenja with 9 Charisma cannot cast spells.

Spirit Shamans with 9 Wisdom cannot cast spells.

Divine Minds with 9 Wisdom cannot manifest powers.

Lurks with 9 Intelligence cannot manifest powers.

Spellthieves with 9 Charisma cannot cast their own spells.

Swashbucklers with 10 Intelligence have Insightful Strike bonuses of +0.

Beguilers with 9 Intelligence cannot cast spells.

Artificers with 9 Intelligence cannot use infusions.

Factotums with 10 Intelligence have Cunning Insight, Brains over Brawn, Cunning Defense, and Improved Cunning Defense bonuses of +0.

Shamans (OA) with 10 Charisma have Spirits' Favor bonuses of +0. Shamans do not have a minimum ability score requirement to cast their spells.

Sohei (OA) with 9 Wisdom cannot cast spells.

Sohei (OA) with 5 Constitution have Ki Frenzy durations of zero rounds.

Archivists with 9 Intelligence cannot cast spells.

That's all the base classes in my books which aren't already in the list.

Mordaedil
2016-11-07, 03:20 AM
Put the 3.0 Psion in every one of them for a laugh.

Khedrac
2016-11-07, 04:01 AM
To emphasize and extend some of what ExtraAnchovies said:

Beguiler is an Intelligence based class you missed.

Warmage is a Charisma class not an Intelligence class. Intelligence gives it warmage edge - something it functions perfectly well without.

Also, Chameleon is an odd one - it requires Intelligence for Arcane spells and Wisdom for Divine spells. In theory it could function without either, but in practice?

Paladins and Ranger - arguably they can function without spellcasting, but both are Wisdom-based casting classes.

I think the Dragon Shaman's breath weapon goes off Con. The class can function with a low con so it is not essential (just the save DCs are low).

How do you want to handle split-stat casting classes? E.g. the Favored Soul which uses Charisma for spells and Wisdom for DCs? (I think you currently have this in the best way but thought I should mention it.)

Vaz
2016-11-07, 04:49 AM
Could clarify the entries; i.e "Int DC based caster", "Int Bonus spell based caster", and "Int DC + Bonus spell based Caster".

Cerefel
2016-11-07, 11:38 AM
Also, Chameleon is an odd one - it requires Intelligence for Arcane spells and Wisdom for Divine spells. In theory it could function without either, but in practice?

Chameleon doesn't explicitly require mental stats for casting, it only gets bonus spells and save DCs from them (at least as far as I can tell, the reading is a bit vague)