PDA

View Full Version : Unusual TWF

kjones
2007-07-12, 07:46 PM
The swashbuckler in my game is going for TWF. She wields a rapier in one hand and a light mace in the other.

Something about this just cracks me up - the idea of a rapier-twirling gentleman (the general character concept) feinting, parrying, doing all these flashy fencing maneuvers, and then BAM! he socks you with a mace.

Any other unusual TWF combinations? Monkey grip cheese, etc. welcome.

psychoticbarber
2007-07-12, 07:47 PM
the idea of a rapier-twirling gentleman (the general character concept) feinting, parrying, doing all these flashy fencing maneuvers, and then BAM! he socks you with a mace.

I don't really have anything that's been used in a game of mine, but what I quoted really reminds of the three stooges. "Watch the birdie rapier..." *WHAM!*

JellyPooga
2007-07-12, 07:59 PM
Something about this just cracks me up - the idea of a rapier-twirling gentleman (the general character concept) feinting, parrying, doing all these flashy fencing maneuvers, and then BAM! he socks you with a mace.

Tee hee, I can just picture this guy in the typical fencing pose; one hand behind back (secretly holding the mace there), parrying etc. Then, just as he disarms his foe or gets his guard down somehow, the mace comes out to crack him round the head...lol...come to think of it, that should be a Weapon Style Feat (ala Complete Warrior); if you trip or disarm a foe when using the rapier, you get a free attack with the mace for which your foe is treated as flat-footed.

BRC
2007-07-12, 08:16 PM
I have a character who Dual Weilds whips, dunno if thats unusual, but it is awsome

tetsubo
2007-07-12, 08:18 PM
I had a 2nd ed Ranger duel weld a short spear and a hand ax.

Quietus
2007-07-12, 08:32 PM
I have a character who Dual Weilds whips, dunno if thats unusual, but it is awsome

That it is... I've drawn up a couple different characters who used that style, but never actually got to play them. How well does he/she work?

adanedhel9
2007-07-12, 08:33 PM
The cohort of a high-level character weilded a sword of the planes in one hand and a holy light mace in the other. Combined with Favored Enemy (Outsider (evil)) and 9 or so levels of cleric, she was a pretty effective demon-hunter.

Luckily for me, the DM didn't quite realize this until after she started wailing on the final BBEG of the campaign.

PhallicWarrior
2007-07-12, 08:34 PM
I had a monk w/ Monkey grip that duel wielded quarterstaves. (yeah, our DM was new to the game, why do you ask?)

JellyPooga
2007-07-12, 08:36 PM
TWF builds that involve wielding a melee weapon in one hand and a ranged weapon in another is something I've often considered playing (like a rapier in one hand and a hand-crossbow in the other)...not actuall ygot round to it yet though..

Human Paragon 3
2007-07-12, 08:48 PM
TWF builds that involve wielding a melee weapon in one hand and a ranged weapon in another is something I've often considered playing (like a rapier in one hand and a hand-crossbow in the other)...not actuall ygot round to it yet though..

How about a TWF rogue with a rapier in one hand and a wand in the other?

Dementrius
2007-07-12, 09:25 PM
How about a TWF rogue with a rapier in one hand and a wand in the other?

Or dual wand weilder rogue with a wand of grease and a wand of ray of frost --> ranged sneak attack every round*.

*for enemies without 5 ranks in Balance or immunity to sneak attack

Townopolis
2007-07-12, 09:30 PM
My old ranger/barbarian/whatever I think fits him best used to TWF with either longsword/light mace or morningstar/shortsword.

But my real favorite is I once drew up a gnome ranger who used a hook and a hammer, thought that was pretty unsual (I have seriously never even seen a gnome hooked hammer in game, ever, not in a weapon shop or on an NPC or used by any PC ever in my entire gaming life... ever... anywhere).

Jannex
2007-07-12, 09:57 PM
My last character OTWF'ed two bastard swords... May not have been the most optimal thing in the world, but heck if it wasn't FUN. Of course, he was a minotaur (see sig), so part of the fun of it was the fact that it was visually rather impressive. I miss playing him...

Diggorian
2007-07-12, 10:08 PM
I like TWFing identical light weapons for the mental image, and so I can finesse'em. Dont know how common that is.

dr.cello
2007-07-12, 10:13 PM
I had a ranger once who dual-wielded light maces. I thought it was pretty hilarious.

Jack_Simth
2007-07-12, 10:14 PM
That doesn't generally work out unless they're thrown weapons - while hand crossbows and light crossbows can be fired with one hand, they still take two to load. And they take a feat to load as a free action.

A fun build (and by "fun" I mean "tends to one-round anything susceptible") is the two-weapon fighting Rogue - that uses flasks of Acid, Alchemist's Fire, and UMD's high caster level wands of low-level spells (Druid's Produce Flame & Flame Blade, Sor/Wiz Chill Touch). Low attack bonus due to the two-weapon fighting, but all attacks are touch attacks, and thus don't have a hard target AC. Works both in melee and ranged.

It gets mildly pricy (you're looking at about 10, 15, or 20 gp per attack; less with Flame Blade), but works from level 3 on; you get Two-Weapon Fighting at 1st, Quickdraw at 3rd, Weapon Finess at 6th, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting at 9th, and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting at 15th (12th and 18th level feats open, as well as possible human bonus), but it gets pretty good pretty fast with the sneak attack on top; at 20th, you're looking at six attacks per round (seven, with haste) at about 11d6 touch attacks each - and you can still draw two shortswords if you run out of charges/flasks.

Quietus
2007-07-12, 10:15 PM
The swashbuckler in my game is going for TWF. She wields a rapier in one hand and a light mace in the other.

Any other unusual TWF combinations? Monkey grip cheese, etc. welcome.

Dunno, but I read this, and got this mental image :

*Two guys fighting, one of whom is this swashbuckler. Swashbuckler fights with his mace hidden behind his back.*
Swashbuckler : "I have something to tell you." *Uses a fancy disarm, enemy's weapon goes flying*
Enemy : "Oh? What's that?"
Swashbuckler : "I.. am not left handed." *Socks enemy in the face with his mace*

psychoticbarber
2007-07-12, 10:15 PM
I like TWFing identical light weapons for the mental image, and so I can finesse'em. Dont know how common that is.

When I did medieval reenactment fencing, I used to love fighting with two daggers. Then I was a quick little bugger, though. All you've gotta do is get the opponent's blade out of the way and run up really close, and you're practically impossible to parry.

Of course, anybody with any skill moved backwards quickly enough to deny me my glory, but I was 15. *Shrugs* What are ya gonna do?

Diggorian
2007-07-12, 10:24 PM
Of course, anybody with any skill moved backwards quickly enough to deny me my glory, but I was 15. *Shrugs* What are ya gonna do?

Throw a dagger at'em and quickdraw another as you close? Had a halfling ranger that did that with Throw Anytthing and Quickdraw. :smallbiggrin:

kjones
2007-07-12, 10:59 PM
Throw a dagger at'em and quickdraw another as you close? Had a halfling ranger that did that with Throw Anytthing and Quickdraw. :smallbiggrin:

This reminds me of a KoDT quote:

"He had me in a Morganstern throatlock, but I countered with a reverse elbow slam to the Adam's apple."
"Dude, you should have gone with a rabbit punch to the kidneys. +2 to yer next to-hit."
"What? This wasn't in game, this was real life!"

Anyway, what about somebody who duel-wielded a chainsaw and shotgun? Oh wait...

TheOOB
2007-07-12, 11:11 PM
When I did medieval reenactment fencing, I used to love fighting with two daggers. Then I was a quick little bugger, though. All you've gotta do is get the opponent's blade out of the way and run up really close, and you're practically impossible to parry.

Thats why you wield a longer blade on one hand, like a rapier or a longsword, and a dagger in your off hand. The dagger is quick and easy to parry with while the larger blade makes the attacks.

For a long time I played a rogue who used a whip dagger in one hand, and a hand axe in the other, it's sort of a variant on the ranged weapon/melee weapon thing.

Mike_G
2007-07-12, 11:53 PM
I had a character who wielded rapier and kukri, which is a bit odd in origin oanm style.

He was a horizon walker, so I wanted some very different weapons to reflect the eclectic influences.

IRL, I personally like sword and axe, to hook shields if we're going medieval style or rapier and buckler if we're looking more Renaissance fencing.

The Unlucky One
2007-07-13, 01:52 AM

See Drow of the Underdark for the feat Versatile combatant. Very useful

EndgamerAzari
2007-07-13, 02:23 AM
I have a gestalt bard-fighter who used a warhammer and a sickle. And no, I was NOT thinking communism when I made her. Weird, huh?

ChrisMcDee
2007-07-13, 04:43 AM
Or dual wand weilder rogue with a wand of grease and a wand of ray of frost --> ranged sneak attack every round*.

*for enemies without 5 ranks in Balance or immunity to sneak attack
Heh, that just reminds me of this.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2006/20060519.jpg

JellyPooga
2007-07-13, 07:56 AM
That doesn't generally work out unless they're thrown weapons - while hand crossbows and light crossbows can be fired with one hand, they still take two to load. And they take a feat to load as a free action.

Not if you have the Ghostly Reload spell available...

AtomicKitKat
2007-07-13, 11:37 AM
I had a ranger once who dual-wielded light maces. I thought it was pretty hilarious.

Should go with Lightning Mace feat next time you try that. Anywhere from 0.05-infinity extra attacks per round is fun.:smallbiggrin:

I've always pondered making like a Marilith with as many of the weapon-style feats from Complete Warrior as possible(sans Bear Fang, because any style that requires you to let other people have a chance to pick up your weapon blows big time).

For the record, those style feats were: Anvil of Thunder, Crescent Moon, Hammer's Edge, and High Sword Low Axe..

Diggorian
2007-07-13, 12:30 PM
I got a reserve PC I played once that goes into the very unusual Five-WF.

Thri-kreen ranger + weapon finesse + improved natural attack + double bladed gythka (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm2_gallery/88268_620_121.jpg) + poisonous bite + ???? = lots of blood ... dinner ... and profit :smallwink:

JackMage666
2007-07-13, 12:37 PM
I made a Half-Giant who dual weilded Bastard Swords. And used Monkey Grip. Those were some big swords, though the off-hand one had to be normal size (large, in this case)

Missing Shoe
2007-07-13, 12:54 PM
I had a monk w/ Monkey grip that duel wielded quarterstaves. (yeah, our DM was new to the game, why do you ask?)

Sounds like your new to the game. :smalltongue:

Monkey grip, never a good choice.

The Glyphstone
2007-07-13, 12:58 PM
Any remember the story about the Giant Fighter PC who dual-wielded +1 Throwing Returning Gnomes? Can't remember if they were Flaming or not, but it was funny to picture.

Jimp
2007-07-13, 01:01 PM
In a 2E game I played a half-elf multiclassed Ranger/Cleric who dual wielded a scimitar and a mace. He was surprisingly effective. He was also an undead hunter, so the combo worked out pretty well against the hordes.

Arbitrarity
2007-07-13, 01:16 PM
Any remember the story about the Giant Fighter PC who dual-wielded +1 Throwing Returning Gnomes? Can't remember if they were Flaming or not, but it was funny to picture.

I prefer the monk/kensai dual-wielding +1 flaming throwing returning vorpal fists. With versatile unarmed strike, so vorpal is valid.

Genome
2007-07-13, 01:23 PM
I have a gestalt bard-fighter who used a warhammer and a sickle. And no, I was NOT thinking communism when I made her. Weird, huh?

Make 'em axiomatic too.

Draz74
2007-07-13, 01:40 PM
Sounds like your new to the game. :smalltongue:

Monkey grip, never a good choice.

Actually, this is the one time when Monkey Grip is good: When your DM doesn't understand how it works, and lets you do anything you want with it!

Lolth
2007-07-13, 10:40 PM
One I enjoy is building up the Quarterstaff Fighting Style in Complete Warrior (forgot the name, book not handy) for an archer character, and using an Elvencraft Longbow.

Good for shooting, good for thwapping when they get close.

kjones
2007-07-13, 10:44 PM
Would a person who dual-wielded shields (spiked) and used 'em to bash be even remotely viable as a combatant? Would you get the AC bonus from each?

Cuz THAT would kick ass.

Shisumo
2007-07-13, 10:45 PM
One I enjoy is building up the Quarterstaff Fighting Style in Complete Warrior (forgot the name, book not handy) for an archer character, and using an Elvencraft Longbow.

Good for shooting, good for thwapping when they get close.

(winces at thought of damage to bow)

Magioth
2007-07-13, 10:47 PM
Would a person who dual-wielded shields (spiked) and used 'em to bash be even remotely viable as a combatant? Would you get the AC bonus from each?

Cuz THAT would kick ass.

If they have improved shield bash then yes, if not, then only in rounds when they havn't attacked with the shield.

Quietus
2007-07-13, 10:53 PM

Cuz THAT would kick ass.

Assuming they have Improved Shield Bash, or whichever it is that lets you retain the shield's AC bonus when you attacked, it could definately be fun. Unfortunately, shield bonuses don't stack, so you'd only get the AC from one, presumably the higher.

Lolth
2007-07-13, 11:07 PM
(winces at thought of damage to bow)

That's the point of Elvencraft weapons. They are reinforced so as not to be all banged up.

Joltz
2007-07-13, 11:47 PM

I made a pirate captain BBEG who used a rapier and a bunch of preloaded handguns+ quickdraw. I never got around to that adventure so I don't know how it would've worked out yet.

Another unusual TWF character I made was a generic elite soldier squad. They used scythes and armor spikes. I considered making a PrC based on the style and everything but never bothered. They were fun to run in combat though. Their full attacks eviscerated some slightly lower level NPCs in one round.

My favorite TWF style is my first character. He was (is) a rogue/ fighter/ shadowdancer who used dual daggers. He could hide in plain sight and melee stuff or move back and throw (or do both :smallbiggrin: ). He's spawned many imitators in my gaming group (everybody wants hide in plain sight now)

TO_Incognito
2007-07-13, 11:56 PM
Question: Is it possible for a player to two-hand a heavy spiked shield, use it alongside a set of armor spikes, and utilize the two-handed, TWF, and shield-based feat trees all at the same time?

JackMage666
2007-07-14, 12:53 AM
I do believe you're looking for Blood Spiked Charger, in the PHB2 (I think)

Makes the most use of spiked armor/spiked shield combat.

DSCrankshaw
2007-07-14, 01:22 AM
Sword-and-board two weapon fighting is actually pretty effective. It's particularly good to improve the AC for rangers, who are otherwise limited to light armor. Improved Shield Bash at first, Oversized Two Weapon Fighting at third, Power Attack at sixth. Buy a +1 bashing spiked heavy shield at earliest opportunity, and you have a d10 hit die weapon with +1 enhancement that provides +3 AC for less than 5000 gp.

CyberWyld
2007-07-14, 04:58 AM
That it is... I've drawn up a couple different characters who used that style, but never actually got to play them. How well does he/she work?

In response to the dual whip wielding character...I have one and I love it! I took ranger lvl's until I met the prereqs for the Lasher PrC (Sword and Fist) then moved into that class. I took whipknives over regular whips however. The dmg on the build was low end in the beginning, but the purpose of the character was to trip and or disarm his opponent. But to my utter delight, in the mid lvl's of Lasher the dmg for this character went up considerably. :) Very, very cool build IMO. PM Me sometime if you'd like my specific build, I'd be happy to assist.

hasta

Matthew
2007-07-14, 06:54 PM
Sword-and-board two weapon fighting is actually pretty effective. It's particularly good to improve the AC for rangers, who are otherwise limited to light armor. Improved Shield Bash at first, Oversized Two Weapon Fighting at third, Power Attack at sixth. Buy a +1 bashing spiked heavy shield at earliest opportunity, and you have a d10 hit die weapon with +1 enhancement that provides +3 AC for less than 5000 gp.

Actually, you are probably mechanically better off using a Heavy Shield Two Handed than going Weapon and Shield...

ccarey99
2007-07-14, 08:43 PM
Two stories:

First, a barbarian who had a spiked helmet, which was from some thrid-party supplement, and a greataxe. Not terribly effective, but hilarious.

Second was one of my characters, a cleric/fighter, who used three weapon fighting, a short sword in each mouth. He used the mouth-weapon thing from Lords of Madness, which lets you wield a weapon in your mouth if you have a bite attack. He got the bite attack with the Hunger domain. Those short swords were all the broad-bladed ones from Complete Warrior, so he got an extra +6 to AC when fighting defensively. He didn't hit much, but he almost never got hurt unless we fought something really tough.

Bosh
2007-07-15, 02:31 AM
I had a kobold in 2Ed who dual wielded a hammer and a pair of scissors. He did lots of called shots like "smash kneecap" and "snip hamstrings."

CyberWyld
2007-07-15, 02:43 AM
I dunno why but I love the idea of TWF ranged. How viable do you think a halfling would be that fought with Dual Boomerangs or something like that? Sounds fun to me.

hasta

Quietus
2007-07-15, 03:39 AM
Question: Is it possible for a player to two-hand a heavy spiked shield, use it alongside a set of armor spikes, and utilize the two-handed, TWF, and shield-based feat trees all at the same time?

Yes, yes it is. And it's a fun idea to think about, isn't it?

In response to the dual whip wielding character...I have one and I love it! I took ranger lvl's until I met the prereqs for the Lasher PrC (Sword and Fist) then moved into that class. I took whipknives over regular whips however. The dmg on the build was low end in the beginning, but the purpose of the character was to trip and or disarm his opponent. But to my utter delight, in the mid lvl's of Lasher the dmg for this character went up considerably. :) Very, very cool build IMO. PM Me sometime if you'd like my specific build, I'd be happy to assist.

Might be interesting to see how you built it - Most of the ones I built were either Fighter or Rogue based. Something about the idea of snapping people in the face for tons of sneak attack while 15' away amused me. I also used the whip daggers, however, due to the horribleness of a regular whip.

I dunno why but I love the idea of TWF ranged. How viable do you think a halfling would be that fought with Dual Boomerangs or something like that? Sounds fun to me.

I just got the mental image of that... very win. Have a cookie!

DSCrankshaw
2007-07-15, 11:46 AM
Actually, you are probably mechanically better off using a Heavy Shield Two Handed than going Weapon and Shield...
Is that even allowed mechanically? I'm not sure I could convince a DM to allow it, even if there's technically no rules against it.

Matthew
2007-07-15, 12:07 PM
Well, Lord Silvanos doesn't agree (or didn't last time I looked), but a Heavy Shield is a Martial One Handed Weapon (as listed on the Weapons Table). Therefore, it can be used Two Handed.

The evidence against such an interpretation, if I remember rightly, is that a 'Shield Bash' is a Special Case. I don't think the FAQ supports such a view nor the rules in general, but that's just my opinion/interpretation of the RAW.

Fhaolan
2007-07-15, 12:19 PM
Well, Lord Silvanos doesn't agree (or didn't last time I looked), but a Heavy Shield is a Martial One Handed Weapon (as listed on the Weapons Table). Therefore, it can be used Two Handed.

The evidence against such an interpretation, if I remember rightly, is that a 'Shield Bash' is a Special Case. I don't think the FAQ supports such a view nor the rules in general, but that's just my opinion/interpretation of the RAW.

Pity, because a two-handed spiked and hooked shield was an actual RL item, used for dueling. :)

I had a swashbuckler once that duel-weilded a rapier and a tankard normally. When dungeon-crawling he switched out the tankard with a lantern. This was in a low-magic campaign, so he was very happy when he got ahold of a flail enchanted with continual light. He was going through *so* many lanterns....

Matthew
2007-07-15, 12:31 PM
Heh, yes indeed, I remember the pictures of those Shields.

2007-07-15, 02:41 PM
Dual wield shields.

Or a half-orc with two greatclubs.

Matthew
2007-07-15, 02:51 PM
Why dual wield Shields?

Ermm.. by what mechanism would a Half Orc dual wield two (medium sized) Great Clubs and to what advantage?

I'm confused...

Yeril
2007-07-15, 03:00 PM
played a half orc ranger who duel wielded a small glaive (one handed reach weapon, 1d8 damage FTW! shame about the -2 to hit) and handaxe for when things got close and personal.

she also took advantage of a very un-looked at part of animal companions, bonus hitdice and Size, you would be supprised at how many people wouldn't realise that their 3rd level druids (6th ranger) wolf, now that it has 4 hit dice is now a large creature, a Rideable large creature.

Having a powerful wolf that rips the enemy apart while you stab them is great, but when they can't hurt it (exept with aoe spells) until they knock you off is better.

Arbitrarity
2007-07-15, 03:17 PM
Why dual wield Shields?

Ermm.. by what mechanism would a Half Orc dual wield two (medium sized) Great Clubs and to what advantage?

I'm confused...

If I hear monkey grip, I'm gonna scream.

Maybe they're small greatclubs?

Dual wielding shields is fun! +1 bashing spiked heavy shield: 2d6.

Bosaxon
2007-07-16, 12:10 AM
2e ranger who dual wielded a +5 bronze khopesh that glowed brightly during the day and made people forget those who was killed by the khopesh dur daylight, but only in the company of the ranger(this was a low magic homebrew, mind you.) and a stone dagger he constantly replaced.

Feralgeist
2007-07-16, 02:54 AM
In Iron Kingdoms i had a swashbuckler/pirate, who TWF'ed a rapier with 2 blades next to each other (2 coming out of the hilt) and a steam powered Trident that had its middle prong pneumatically extend into the enemy once used.

Also, 4 harpoon guns and 2 wrist harpoons (they were all one shot each, and take THREE ROUNDS to load)

ended up drowning while attempting to climb to the surface wearing weapons, breastplate and a greatcoat after an exploding ship

Attilargh
2007-07-16, 05:42 AM
Cleft-bladed rapiers are only cool if they've got Shocking rune plates on.

AtomicKitKat
2007-07-16, 10:42 AM
she also took advantage of a very un-looked at part of animal companions, bonus hitdice and Size, you would be supprised at how many people wouldn't realise that their 3rd level druids (6th ranger) wolf, now that it has 4 hit dice is now a large creature, a Rideable large creature.

It's un-looked at because it doesn't exist. Has been FAQed that AC doesn't grow with Bonus HD from master's class levels. You could theoretically make it so you can summon one with the right number of HD by treating yourself as X levels lower, where X is the number of HD difference between the sizes.

nerulean
2007-07-16, 11:41 AM
Short sword and crossbow. I don't know if that's actually legal per RAW, but with an ability that allows you to avoid AoOs against someone, you could stand in melee with someone and shoot holes in someone on the opposite side of the battlefield.

Hadrian_Emrys
2007-07-16, 01:09 PM
Ghostly Reload

where's that spell from?

FireSpark
2007-07-16, 01:18 PM
My wife once played a fighter, who dual-wielded Warmaces (exotic weapon from Complete Warrior). On top of that she took monkey grip so that she could wield Large-size versions. Throw in the fact that the standard first round ni combat was to cast enlarge person on her, and you had a sweet damage dealin' tank. (For those not keeping track, she was doing 4d6+Str per hit, on a regular basis.)

BlackStaticWolf
2007-07-16, 01:36 PM
I dual wielded a staff and a faux-spear one time in real life. I didn't mean to... I just sort of caught my opponent's spear when he thrust and yanked it out of his hand as a reflex.

Since he had a short sword in reserve to cover the event of weapon loss, I decided to just use both. It was wholly ridiculous and surprisingly effective. Ever since then I've wanted to make an NPC who uses that "style." Especially since two of the people (including the opponent) who witnessed the fight are players in my campaign.

EDIT: Typo.

Hadrian_Emrys
2007-07-16, 04:06 PM
Had a character who went stick and board for his fighting style. On handing staves can be interesting.

de-trick
2007-07-16, 05:03 PM
you have to dual wield nun chucks and don't take exotic weapon or two weapon fighting like Sir Smoopy of Awesomthin, you cant hit anything but you get to die looking like a total bad ass Abraham Lincoln

BRC
2007-07-16, 05:06 PM

hasta
Yeah, I use two magical Whipknives, I havnt actually gotten a chance to use it yet, the last session was somthing like this
Me: Hey, I have a second whip?
DM: yeah, they found that after you left last session
me: can I Dual Weild Whips
DM: I think you have a feat left over
Me: SWEET

Matthew
2007-07-17, 11:10 PM
My wife once played a fighter, who dual-wielded Warmaces (exotic weapon from Complete Warrior). On top of that she took monkey grip so that she could wield Large-size versions. Throw in the fact that the standard first round ni combat was to cast enlarge person on her, and you had a sweet damage dealin' tank. (For those not keeping track, she was doing 4d6+Str per hit, on a regular basis.)
Ah, if only that were possible.