PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder PF - How to throw dynamite and shoot it midair?

unseenmage
2016-11-06, 01:26 AM
Am playing a Gun Magus in a Iron Gods game that allows Technology Guide toys.

Curious how one could throw dynamite or equivalent explosive and shoot it in midair with a laser gun to make it explode in the enemies' face?

TheFamilarRaven
2016-11-06, 02:17 AM
I don't think your character could throw dynamite and then shoot it mid-air on their same turn. However, I'd rule you'd be able to do it with a readied action provided an ally threw the dynamite.

Sadly, PF doesn't really have rules for doing this, so the best thing to do wold be to talk to your DM.

Zanos
2016-11-06, 02:18 AM
I don't think your character could throw dynamite and then shoot it mid-air on their same turn. However, I'd rule you'd be able to do it with a readied action provided an ally threw the dynamite.
Two weapon fighting? I think you can also make iterative attacks with separate weapons.

TheFamilarRaven
2016-11-06, 02:27 AM
Two weapon fighting? I think you can also make iterative attacks with separate weapons.

While I agree, I was thinking that it'd take at least a move action to light the dynamite, which might also require a free hand, meaning it'd be difficult to hold your gun AND light a stick of dynamite.

EDIT: Ahem, I forgot the whole point was to explode the dynamite by shooting it.... :smallredface:

Even still it'd be an incredibly difficult to aim right after throwing it and hit it midair.

icefractal
2016-11-06, 02:35 AM
Not too bad, I think. Dynamite is what, Diminutive? But not actively dodging, so that's AC 9. Even with a +10 for moving fast (which is more than I think most people would give any creature), that's only AC 19. More like AC 14, IMO.

I would say that with a readied action, it's definitely allowed, RAW even, but you'd need someone else to throw it in that case. I'd allow doing it with TWF personally, but that's more subjective.

Klara Meison
2016-11-06, 10:23 AM
Talk to your GM. When they say "Yeah you really can't do that because %rules%", say "On the other hand, it will be awesome". If your GM doesn't allow it after that they are a very boring person.

Extra Anchovies
2016-11-06, 11:37 AM
Standard action ready an attack to shoot the dynamite, move action (manipulate object) to throw the dynamite. Manipulate Object covers opening doors and moving heavy objects, so tossing a bundle of dynamite without throwing it as a weapon is a reasonable use of the action. Also, a full-round equivalent seems reasonable for this sort of special attack, although Paizo would probably gate it behind Equipment Trick :smalltongue:

Starbuck_II
2016-11-06, 11:48 AM
Not too bad, I think. Dynamite is what, Diminutive? But not actively dodging, so that's AC 9. Even with a +10 for moving fast (which is more than I think most people would give any creature), that's only AC 19. More like AC 14, IMO.

I would say that with a readied action, it's definitely allowed, RAW even, but you'd need someone else to throw it in that case. I'd allow doing it with TWF personally, but that's more subjective.
Remember no Dex (-5 penalty). I'd give +5 for being thown.
AC: 10 Base -5 Dex + 4 Diminutive +5 dodge for being thrown{?} =AC 14.

Tuvarkz
2016-11-06, 12:57 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/overwatch-style-combat-style
You can do it, issue is you'll either need to take some fighter levels or invest into both Weapon Focus (Dynamite), and Weapon Focus (your firearm), mind you, one of the wayfinder resonances can net you one of the two needed, and the other you could use the Training magic enhancement (From inner sea intrigue) to get.

Diarmuid
2016-11-06, 07:12 PM
Standard action ready an attack to shoot the dynamite, move action (manipulate object) to throw the dynamite. Manipulate Object covers opening doors and moving heavy objects, so tossing a bundle of dynamite without throwing it as a weapon is a reasonable use of the action. Also, a full-round equivalent seems reasonable for this sort of special attack, although Paizo would probably gate it behind Equipment Trick :smalltongue:

The problem with this line of thinking is that the "throw" is more than just "toss this kind of in that general direction". The OP is looking to essentially make a ranged attack with the explosive and resolve his other attack before the explosive attack finishes. As others have stated, I would allow this as a readied action, but not as 2 separate attacks. Now, if you were throwing it like a grenade weapon and simply trying to get it into your opponents square and then shoot it with an iterative/two/etc attack, I would allow this but with all the normal modifiers for size, prone, range, etc that should be used.

Zanos
2016-11-06, 07:28 PM
Talk to your GM. When they say "Yeah you really can't do that because %rules%", say "On the other hand, it will be awesome". If your GM doesn't allow it after that they are a very boring person.
It's important to not set a precedent for something that's unusually powerful, though. It's not been uncommon in my experience for a new DM to allow something silly like called shots to the eyes for instant kills, or whatever, and then it turns into the game of called shots to the eyes until the DM works up the courage to put a stop to it.

Coidzor
2016-11-06, 08:31 PM
Even still it'd be an incredibly difficult to aim right after throwing it and hit it midair.

Well, you know, fantasy super-heroes encountering sci-fi/space opera stuff.

Syll
2016-11-07, 01:40 AM
The alchemist discovery 'Explosive Missile' produces a similar effect

"When the infused ammunition hits its target, it deals damage normally and detonates as if the alchemist had thrown the bomb at the target. If the explosive missile misses, it does not detonate."

Refluffed as the dynamite being the target, this could be a baseline for you to work from