PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Spell: Mage Armoire [PEACH]

UristMcRandom
2016-11-06, 01:28 AM
Entry for NinjaPrawn's 5e Spellbrew Contest (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?505138). This particular pun has been bouncing around in my head for a while, so I might as well get some mileage out of it.

Mage Armoire
1st-level conjuration (ritual)
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: S, M (a small, decorative key worth at least 5 sp)
Duration: Until dispelled
Class: Bard, Wizard

The key you hold is imbued with magical power, allowing whoever possesses it to call forth an extradimensional wardrobe with a twist of the wrist. By holding the key in your hand and turning it (as though unlocking a door), you summon a large, ornate, wooden wardrobe approximately 5 ft. wide by 7 ft. tall to your location. The wardrobe contains a variety of nonmagical clothing sized for the caster, collectively worth no more than the value of the key you cast the spell on. The wardrobe can be dismissed by closing the door and locking it with the key (equivalent to interacting with an object). Any creatures or non-clothing items inside the wardrobe when it is dismissed are left in the space previously occupied by the wardrobe.

For as long as the key bears its enchantment, it can be used to summon the wardrobe again by repeating the turning motion (equivalent to interacting with an object), although the wardrobe must be dismissed before it can be summoned to another location. If the magical effect on the key is dispelled or the wardrobe is destroyed, the wardrobe and all clothing contained within are lost to extradimensional space.

Artagon
2016-11-06, 01:12 PM
But can you get to Narnia from there?

Ninja_Prawn
2016-11-06, 01:18 PM
Quick question: the spell's casting time is 1 action, but it says "By holding the key in your hand and turning it... as a bonus action." in the text. Normally the turning would be the somatic component and therefore part of the casting action... I'm wondering if this is an error.

UristMcRandom
2016-11-06, 01:49 PM
Quick question: the spell's casting time is 1 action, but it says "By holding the key in your hand and turning it... as a bonus action." in the text. Normally the turning would be the somatic component and therefore part of the casting action... I'm wondering if this is an error.

It's both an error and not. The intention of the text is that you first summon the wardrobe with the turning being the somatic component of the spell (and thus part of the casting action), but then after the initial casting, you can summon the wardrobe again (without casting the spell) as a bonus action. I'll edit to clarify.

EDIT:

Update:
Spell description should be clearer now. Changed summoning wardrobe after initial summoning to be an object interaction rather than a bonus action.