PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 tips and reminders for all people

flappeercraft
2016-11-06, 02:27 AM
So I wanted to compile a list of the most important tips and reminders for all D&D players whether new or experienced. For example, keeping hostages for information and always make spot checks constantly when in areas of possible danger. Any you can suggest?

Deeds
2016-11-06, 11:51 AM
D&D is a cooperative multiplayer game and the most important thing a player or DM can do is communicate.

As a DM, you need to know how comfortable players are with role playing. Your players may enjoy a simple kick in the door style scenario, political intrigue, or maybe something else entirely. Use caution with adult concepts until you find out your player's comfort level. Same goes for players. Evil characters are not a valid reason for being a jerk or a creep at the table.

As far as in-game mechanic tips, I'd say don't be a one trick pony. Bring a ranged weapon in case your Fighter faces a flying foe.

Jack_McSnatch
2016-11-06, 12:04 PM
My players (and sometimes DMs) often have to be reminded that Uncanny Dodge does not mean immunity to sneak attacks. Also you wouldn't think this needs to be mentioned, but it so often does, people need to read their FULL class ability/feat/skill descriptions, not just the blurbs.

Nifft
2016-11-06, 12:06 PM
The only way to win D&D is to help ensure that everyone at the table has fun.

Players: Sometimes it's okay for your character to suffer a defeat, because that allows the plot to provide the players with a more satisfying conclusion later. Your character does not always have to have fun. You should be able to enjoy watching your character suffer a bit sometimes, or at least be able to defer the satisfaction of victory for later. Because eventually your character probably will win against basically anything.

DMs: Don't get attached to your monsters. They will usually lose, hard and fast.

Players: Role-playing is not a thing that needs to happen separately from rules-based play. You can banter and discuss things in-character, even during a fight. Doing so can add to the experience.

DMs: Make sure you describe the choices that the characters face in explicit enough terms that the players can make informed decisions about the risks that their characters face. Remember that PCs are usually seasoned professionals: they will not forget to look up, even if the player doesn't say "I look up" every time the PC enters a room.

Elzak
2016-11-06, 12:08 PM
Don't be a jerk, be a team player, even your alignment is Chaotic Evil or whatever.

Khedrac
2016-11-06, 12:10 PM
I would remind players that they automatically get to make Spot checks for possible dangers, though they can also actively ask for additional Spot checks to look for things.
I would remind players that Sense Motive checks are rolled by the DM so the player does not know what was rolled.
Less frequest, but I would remind players that the DM rolls the duration for Time Stop - the character does not know how long it will last.
I would remind players that you cannot ready actions before initiative is rolled.
I would remind players that you cannot take immediate actions while flat footed even if you have Uncanny Dodge or Combat Reflexes.
I woudl remind players (and module writers) that you cannot cast compulsions spells on opponents from within a time stop.

supersonic29
2016-11-06, 04:39 PM
Rolling a 20 doesn't mean you win. In 3.5 it can easily mean nothing on a check, and even when it's a crit for your attack, you could fail to confirm that crit. And even when you confirm the crit, you can still roll poor damage, especially if it isn't a high damage weapon. The natural 20 is such a running gag that folks lose sight of things when they see it hit the table. This sounds like preaching to the choir here, but for newer players in your games it's all too likely to come up.

Another thing is always encouraging players to know what they are doing. Don't feed them their actions, never say "just roll this die" or anything like that. If they aren't gradually learning how their character and the system operate, it's not gonna be fun in the long run. Remember that when helping someone make their first character too.

Vizzerdrix
2016-11-06, 09:24 PM
Never forget your shapesand.

Waker
2016-11-06, 09:33 PM
1. Play your character, not your alignment. You should never find yourself saying, "Well, since I'm chaotic..."
2. Be open with your DM. Whenever you have questions/concerns/comments you should talk to your DM. Maybe not in the middle of a session, but before or after. Many players have the idea that D&D is confrontational, but its supposed to be cooperative.
3. When making a character, consider their role in the party. Not just mechanically, but story-wise as well. Just because you find it funny to playing a kleptomaniac doesn't mean the rest of the party agrees.
4. Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

flappeercraft
2020-05-03, 02:48 AM
Dam, I had forgotten about this thread.

Peelee
2020-05-03, 07:04 AM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain: It's dead, Jim.