PDA

View Full Version : Dragon cohort's frightful presence, how to deal with it?

Elzak
2016-11-06, 10:08 AM
Hello again, playgrounders!

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, there's a feat from Draconomicon called Dragon Cohort, which let you have a true dragon as your cohort.

But there's a problem: true dragon's Frightful Presence(Ex). It seems that even his best buddy(which is me, who's going to ride on his back in to the battlefield) will be scared to death.

How do I prevent this scenario? Mindblank is out of question cause we're low on level and I rather not touch dragonwrought kobolds without a 10ft pole.

J-H
2016-11-06, 10:26 AM
Frightful Presence doesn't kick in until Young Adult, which is around 15HD of dragon and CR 9ish (varies by dragon color).

Darrin
2016-11-06, 10:38 AM
Check to see if there's a HD limit on the frightful presence. Depending on how you got frightful presence, it may say that it only affects creatures up to your HD. Usually a cohort is two ECLs behind you, but Dragon Cohort's 3 ECL modifier can quirk things up a bit.

One level dip into Dragonrider (Draconomicon) makes you immune to frightful presence while on your mount or within 10' of it (which means if you go further than 10', you could still get frightened). Dragonslayer 1 (same book) also gets immunity to fear.

Get 8 ranks in Knowledge: the Planes and take the Planar Touchstone feat. Link it to the Catalogues of Enlightenment (you don't have to visit) and pick the Dream domain power. This makes you immune to all fear effects.

If none of that works... Banner of the Storm's Eye (MIC).

Remuko
2016-11-06, 12:06 PM
Few options here. The first is this quote from the SRD "The ability takes effect automatically whenever the dragon attacks, charges, or flies overhead." So as long as your dragon doesnt do this you will be fine.

The other option is to intentionally let it fear you in a safe space at the beginning of each day, if you resist it or not your immune to it for 24 hours. If you fail you just cower in fear until its over and the dragon can apologize and then you can spend the next 24 hours with him (or her) without being able to be effected by the fear again.

Edit: I also believe there was something somewhere that said dragons could suppress their frightful presence, but I can't find the source so I may have been mistaken.

Elzak
2016-11-07, 12:57 AM
Thanks everyone! that really helps a lot! Guess I'll go check out planar manual for that touchstone feat. Oh, about my other teammates......well, they'll have to deal with it, dragons sure are scary aren't they?

Crake
2016-11-07, 01:41 AM
Few options here. The first is this quote from the SRD "The ability takes effect automatically whenever the dragon attacks, charges, or flies overhead." So as long as your dragon doesnt do this you will be fine.

The other option is to intentionally let it fear you in a safe space at the beginning of each day, if you resist it or not your immune to it for 24 hours. If you fail you just cower in fear until its over and the dragon can apologize and then you can spend the next 24 hours with him (or her) without being able to be effected by the fear again.

Edit: I also believe there was something somewhere that said dragons could suppress their frightful presence, but I can't find the source so I may have been mistaken.

This is almost true, if you fail the save you aren't immune, and the dragon will need to keep scaring you until you succeed on your save.

Remuko
2016-11-07, 01:03 PM
This is almost true, if you fail the save you aren't immune, and the dragon will need to keep scaring you until you succeed on your save.

So it is, I just rechecked and the 24 hour thing is only on a success. Well my plan of having the dragon fear you until you succeed each day still works at least. Haha.

Draconium
2016-11-07, 01:10 PM
So, um... Is anyone gonna mention that none of the possible Dragon Cohorts actually have Frightful Presence? They're all too young - as mentioned above, it doesn't kick in until the dragon's a Young Adult, but the oldest dragon you can get is Juvenile, one age category short.