PDA

View Full Version : Question: Low magic setting with a realistic Late Medieval/Renaissance-like society?

Clistenes
2016-11-06, 01:43 PM
What it says on the tin. I would like to know if there is some setting around that uses a somewhat realistic portrayal of a Low Middle Ages/Early Modern Age society. You know, with Colleges/Universities, professional and social guilds, martial arts societies like the Brotherhoods of St Mauritius, St George, St Sebastian and St Mark, realistic town/city councils, feudal lords and churches...etc.

Of course, magic would have to be very rare, otherwise society would be nothing like that...

The closest fit I can think of is the Kingdoms of Kalamar setting, but educational institutions are too magic-oriented around most of Tellene. I would like magic learning to be something that was taught in a clandestine place like the Cave of Salamanca (http://salamanca-spain.info/history/history-of-salamanca/salmantinas-legends.php#cave) rather than in a full-fledged magical college.

I guess that, taking into account how many third-party world settings are around, at least one would fit my requirements.

Thank you very much in advance to anybody who answers.

Frozen_Feet
2016-11-06, 02:44 PM
You might want to take a look at some Lamentations of the Flame Princess products, which are based on real historical events & places and then add a layer of horror fantasy on it. God that Crawls, Joop Van Ooms, Better than Any Man, Death Love Doom, England Upturn'd come to mind at least.

Clistenes
2016-11-06, 03:36 PM
You might want to take a look at some Lamentations of the Flame Princess products, which are based on real historical events & places and then add a layer of horror fantasy on it. God that Crawls, Joop Van Ooms, Better than Any Man, Death Love Doom, England Upturn'd come to mind at least.

Thank you very much, I will take a look.

RazorChain
2016-11-06, 10:47 PM
Then you have Ars Magica. I wouldnt call it low magic but magic users are rare and mostly exist outside of society. The setting is medieval earth where all the superstition is true

The game focuses on mages but lot of the fluff is about feudalism, guilds and the church

Clistenes
2016-11-08, 01:58 PM
Then you have Ars Magica. I wouldnt call it low magic but magic users are rare and mostly exist outside of society. The setting is medieval earth where all the superstition is true

The game focuses on mages but lot of the fluff is about feudalism, guilds and the church

Thank you.