PDA

View Full Version : Who Wants To Live Forever? [Artifact]

The Demented One
2007-07-12, 09:22 PM
Bloodbath of Eternal Youth

The Bloodbath of Eternal Youth is a powerful artifact, first created centuries ago by a vile priestess of Nerull, nicknamed the Queen of Blood, who sought to live forever. She slaughtered her seven sons, and bartered their souls with devils and demons in exchange for the secrets required to create the Bloodbath. In the centuries following, a handful of evil mages have been mad enough to make similar sacrifices, creating their own Bloodbaths. The Bloodbath appears to be an ornate bathing tub of black steel, set around its rim with flawless rubies. Various occult sigils are carved into its bottom; symbols of death and rebirth.

To use the Bloodbath, one must first fill it with the blood of sentient, good-aligned creatures that were willfully killed, though not necessarily by the user. The creatures must be younger than the user is, and they cannot be older than one-half of the age required for them to reach their highest age category. The blood must be taken from the creatures while it is still warm, within an hour of their deaths. It takes the blood of four Medium creatures, eight Small creatures, or one Large creature to fill the tub. Once the Bloodbath has been filled, the user must bathe in it for four hours. Once this ritual is completed and the user emerges from the Bloodbath, her body undergoes reverse aging, becoming one year younger. If this aging causes her to regress an age category, she loses any penalties to physical ability scores from her prior age category, but does not lose the corresponding bonuses to mental ability scores. The Bloodbath cannot reduce its user’s age to below one year.

However, there is a cost to be payed for using a Bloodbath. No one who has ever used one can ever truly die. Any character that uses a Bloodbath cannot be resurrected by any form of magic, except artifacts and direct divine intervention. In addition, if a user is killed, then 1d6 hours later, she rises from the dead as a ghoul. Even if she is destroyed as a ghoul, she continues to reanimate indefinitely, eternally undead. There is only one way to free the user of a Bloodbath from this curse. One must kill the user, and cremate the remains. Her ashes must then be mixed with holy water in the same Bloodbath that she used, and a miracle, or wish spell must be cast to free her from the curse. Once this has been done, she ceases to reanimate as an undead, and can be reanimated normally.

Strong Necromancy, CL 20th. Minor Artifact.

DracoDei
2007-07-12, 09:41 PM
Purely from volumetric POV it might take more blood than this for a baths worth... but that is just nit-picking...

Maybe make it so the victims also must be 1st age category of the 4 standard ones, or one of the first 5 (of 12) if dragons.

Also, if you have an magic item of "Gentle Repose" being a ghoul MIGHT not be SO bad... depends on how ravenous you make them.

The Demented One
2007-07-12, 09:47 PM
Purely from volumetric POV it might take more blood than this for a baths worth... but that is just nit-picking...
I know it shouldn't technically be enough to fill it...but the bath doesn't necessarily have to be full all the way, or you could mix the blood with water to fill it up. Or, magic.

Maybe make it so the victims also must be 1st age category of the 4 standard ones, or one of the first 5 (of 12) if dragons.
Makes sense, I'll try to work something like that in.

Also, if you have an magic item of "Gentle Repose" being a ghoul MIGHT not be SO bad... depends on how ravenous you make them.
For someone vain and evil enough to kill off innocent creatures in exchange for eternal youth, I would imagine being eternally trapped as a rotting, anaimated corpse would be among the worst punishments imaginable. Even with a gentle repose item, it'd still be pretty bad.

Cryopyre
2007-07-12, 09:52 PM
I haven't seen anything in here about this, so I'll say it, no good-aligned creature should probably be able to use this, and any neutral one should make a will save or become evil.

Hunter Noventa
2007-07-12, 09:53 PM
You should add a note that while they don't lose their bonuses to ability scroes from aging, they also don't gaint hem again when they re-age, or rather, use their mental age, how many years they've been alive, for that, and their pysical age, which is affected by the bath, for the physical penalties.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-07-12, 10:02 PM
It has a strong aura of necromancy? I thought artifacts didn't omit magical aura's. Unless of course minor artifacts do, and even if normally they don't it wouldn't bug me too much if it did...

I ramble, I guess.

Demented
2007-07-12, 10:25 PM
Reminds me of a certain countess...
About the tub... Does it matter at all what the size of the bather is? Can you die from old age? Colossal dragon... Blood of eight small creatures... Huh. About the punishment, frankly, being a ghoul is a small cost to pay if I get the chance to live long enough to see and use a quantum computer, or just travel through space. Games of the future: WOO!

Also, imagine this...
Five people, each of them killing themselves, draining their blood, and then being resurrected, then bathing in eachother's blood... That's the kind of twisted exploit that I'd have to describe as "savory evil". :smallbiggrin:

DracoDei
2007-07-12, 10:32 PM
Yeah, but ghouls don't age anyway... although I GUESS it could still recover lost stats... and then they destroy the tub so they can't be destroyed...

Cryopyre
2007-07-12, 10:37 PM
Does this immortality mean that when you're at -1 hp you have to continue making saves or lose hit-points like regularly?

The Demented One
2007-07-12, 10:59 PM
I haven't seen anything in here about this, so I'll say it, no good-aligned creature should probably be able to use this, and any neutral one should make a will save or become evil.
I would think it's pretty obvious that using this is a strongly evil act, although I don't see any need for a mechanical effect. That's the kind of thing best left to the DM.

It has a strong aura of necromancy? I thought artifacts didn't omit magical aura's. Unless of course minor artifacts do, and even if normally they don't it wouldn't bug me too much if it did...
Yep, artifacts have them.

Reminds me of a certain countess...
A certain Elizabeth Bathory? You may claim your cookie now, sir.

About the tub... Does it matter at all what the size of the bather is?
Yeah, it would. I'd say anyone of Small to Large size should fit, though it'd be rather tight for large creatures.

Can you die from old age?
Assuming you use the bath at least once a year, nope.

Does this immortality mean that when you're at -1 hp you have to continue making saves or lose hit-points like regularly?
Note that it does not make you truly immortal, or unkillable. Its primary effect simply reverses aging, the curse reanimates you if you're killed. Nothing stops you from being killed by your local Fighter McBigSword.