PDA

View Full Version : can genocide gain you a divine spark/rank?

Neowulf
2016-11-06, 04:42 PM
so I've been talking with another player on ways to make the world more interesting, and one way that I came up with (based on a plan I saw on here) was to cause severe acid rain via metabreath feats to make dragonbreath cover the entire planet and last for years

so this would in affect kill several billions of people who are unable to get to cover, detroy nature, most likely irrevokably destroy all species not immune to acid, etc. etc.

and this would most definitely get all deities who need worshipers after you

and I've thought that there was some rule about gaining a divine spark/rank via genocide because all living beings have a bit of one (hence why gods need worshipers) or something along those lines, and mass genocide would be enough to gain a divine spark

the other thing I thought about was basically gaining a divine proxy to Nerull ("Hey, biggest murder in history, you want in?) and getting up to 10 ranks so you can complete your task, put those ranks into squirrels, and then recall them so they're theoretically yours rather than his when he eventually gets pissed that so many of his followers are dead then he can't take them back from you, or am I completely misunderstanding how divine minion functions?

worst case scenario is that you're smote from on high by everything, but you've made history as the man who trolled the gods

Bohandas
2016-11-06, 04:45 PM
It would help if you were siphoning off the life force of those people being killed

legomaster00156
2016-11-06, 04:46 PM
I believe that when it comes to gaining divine ranks, it's dependent on the GM.

Braininthejar2
2016-11-06, 04:48 PM
I'd say if you had a divine spark to begin with, a genocide matching your intended portfolio might help it develop into something bigger.

Nifft
2016-11-06, 04:48 PM
worst case scenario is that you're smote from on high by everything, but you've made history as the man who trolled the gods

You're not the first.

Today, we call those people stars.

They shine at night as a warning: "Don't be like that Orion jerk."

Zanos
2016-11-06, 08:30 PM
I believe that when it comes to gaining divine ranks, it's dependent on the GM.
Pretty much this. In most settings I'm aware of where deities exist and are active, they would act either directly or indirectly to prevent an action like this.

Waker
2016-11-06, 09:00 PM
The question of how you are harvesting the energy from all those deaths aside, deities also have the ability to perceive events weeks in advance based on their divine ranks if it pertains to their areas of influence, such as temples and whatnot. Pretty sure that all of the racial deities would get a heads up if an extinction event was gonna happen.

Karl Aegis
2016-11-07, 10:02 AM
Pretty sure when you kill everything on a planet you become Orcus and whine about how you don't have true divinity at every possible interval. Also the word you want to be using is omnicide: killing of everything.

bean illus
2016-11-07, 11:13 AM
All three points:

1. The gods will see this coming (If you make it smaller they might not).
2. You need to somehow siphon that energy.
3. A deity as a proxy would probably be the most obvious route (a minor one could be bribed to get you an audience with a medium one who wants to become a large one?).

You remember that old adage? The trickster god tries to trick the death god into making the trickster god the new supreme god. ? ?

ExLibrisMortis
2016-11-07, 11:17 AM
Wee Jas gained her (rather important) death aspect when the Suel empire was devastated. So genocide can definitely change a deity's portfolio, even when said deity didn't perform it.

I think it's reasonable to allow a creature to gain a divine rank in such a way, although this assumes existing deities will not intervene, deific power is not zero-sum, and the scale of devastation is cosmically significant (more Atropus-level than tarrasque-level). You will not be a popular deity afterwards, and a good-aligned deity may well come after an evil upstart, such as an omnicidal maniac who was accidentally successful.

Echch
2016-11-07, 11:21 AM
All three points:

1. The gods will see this coming (If you make it smaller they might not).
2. You need to somehow siphon that energy.
3. A deity as a proxy would probably be the most obvious route (a minor one could be bribed to get you an audience with a medium one who wants to become a large one?).

You remember that old adage? The trickster god tries to trick the death god into making the trickster god the new supreme god. ? ?

I would like to say that the gods will see it coming, but won't be able to know it's you given the scale (remember, portfolio sense doesn't tell you WHO does something, it just tells you what, when and where, and "in 2 weeks, on this planet, everything dies" doesn't really help you that much).

But just to be safe: Their remote viewing doesn't extend into the future, unlike their portfolio sense: If you do something like that, you should wish yourself to that location before you do it instead of setting up base there, so they won't be capable of preparing things to counter you directly.

Anyway, if you want a divine spark, Fusion+Astral seed is your best bet: Get an Einherjar and a Mane and fuse with them, which grants you a Divine Rank of 0 and still allows you to leave (there is a reason spellcasters or psions can't become Einherjar, and that's it).
After that... I'd say just gain followers. Leadership-loops will provide enough sooner or later.

If you really wanna go full-on omnicide, I believe the Lich Queen in some module had a way of converting the dead into XP...