PDA

View Full Version : My DM gave me two wishes..

Roasted Leech
2016-11-06, 11:43 PM
And I know what I want for the first one. Now he says I have to be specific because apparently the thing doing the wishes (in a ring) is lazy and will do it the laziest way possible.
The point: I have 10 seconds to say it, but if I'm going to be specific so I don't get screwed- I'll just record myself saying it and speed it up.. heh. But it wouldn't hurt to shorten it and I want to know if there are any holes in my wish.
Here it is:

"I wish that at this very point in time that I, kaylee, know and can use (use as in the spell will work) the spell true resurrection without any ingredients required whenever I want with no limitation from anything including spell slots and everything around me will stay the same including the time right this moment and space. I am noticed by no powerful beings because of it and people who see me use it only think the best of me unless they wouldn't have cared regardless. Nobody in the world dies because I can use the spell, and it does exactly as the spell true resurrection says. History remains the same other than when I alter it myself, only bringing the person I want back during whatever time I use the spell true resurrection, and life proceeds as normal. It has no ill or bad effects (defined by me) on me or any person or creature and the person i use true resurrection on comes back with all their memories except from where their soul went when it left their body."

It's a lot I know and sounds OP. But people in my campaign around me (that I slightly care about) keep dying because my DM is heartless and also he kills children. Granted he's amazing. Because he's at least giving me this shot.

Facts about my character:
She's a changeling.
He father died when she was young and her goal is to bring him back to life.
She worships Evening Glory (who isn't powerful in this play).

The Glyphstone
2016-11-06, 11:49 PM
"There is no foolproof wish. There are only overly ambitious fools."

I wouldn't count on the 'speed it up recorded' plan at all. Your DM would have every right to make that invalid on the grounds that your character can't actually speak like a hyperactive chipmunk on crack, whatever OOC trickery you used to meet the technical terms. And they can easily justify the 'partial fulfillment' clause and do all sorts of awful things to you since the entity is lazy - it just has to stop listening partway through and grant the bits it bothered to pay attention to, if you go on so long that it gets bored and loses interest.

I'd honestly just go for something less ambitious, so you don't wall yourself into a self-made trap. Wishes are always traps, the trick is not to get out of them, it's to minimize the damage it causes while doing so.

Roasted Leech
2016-11-06, 11:52 PM
"There is no foolproof wish. There are only overly ambitious fools."

I wouldn't count on the 'speed it up recorded' plan at all. Your DM would have every right to make that invalid on the grounds that your character can't actually speak like a hyperactive chipmunk on crack, whatever OOC trickery you used to meet the technical terms. And they can easily justify the 'partial fulfillment' clause and do all sorts of awful things to you since the entity is lazy - it just has to stop listening partway through and grant the bits it bothered to pay attention to, if you go on so long that it gets bored and loses interest.

I'd honestly just go for something less ambitious, so you don't wall yourself into a self-made trap. Wishes are always traps, the trick is not to get out of them, it's to minimize the damage it causes while doing so.

The other thing is if I shorten it just a bit I can practice it until I say it real fast.
Not the important part though. I'll improvise.
Just want to see if he could weasel into any of it.

Pex
2016-11-07, 12:02 AM
Don't wish for anything. Don't take the bait. Throw the ring away. It sounds like the DM wants an excuse to screw over your character.

Roasted Leech
2016-11-07, 12:03 AM
It was for my birthday and he's still pretty nice.
Besides that's why I'm only using one wish for now. It's a plan B.

The Glyphstone
2016-11-07, 12:05 AM
Well if you really want an evil eye...let's see how many ways I can mutilate it:

"I wish that at this very point in time that I, kaylee, know and can use (use as in the spell will work) the spell true resurrection without any ingredients required whenever I want with no limitation from anything including spell slots and everything around me will stay the same including the time right this moment and space. I am noticed by no powerful beings because of it and people who see me use it only think the best of me unless they wouldn't have cared regardless. Nobody in the world dies because I can use the spell, and it does exactly as the spell true resurrection says. History remains the same other than when I alter it myself, only bringing the person I want back during whatever time I use the spell true resurrection, and life proceeds as normal. It has no ill or bad effects (defined by me) on me or any person or creature and the person i use true resurrection on comes back with all their memories except from where their soul went when it left their body."

everything around me will stay the same including the time right this moment and space.
The first time you use it, you become locked in a permanent Temporal Stasis effect.

I am noticed by no powerful beings because of it
Kings, gods, or really anyone with authority or power now fail to notice you exist at all, and refuse to give rewards or recognition to a figment of someone else's imagination.

Nobody in the world dies because I can use the spell,
Because you can use the spell, now no one in the world dies. Ever again. No matter how horrible their wounds or illness. You have unleashed the immortality apocalypse.

only bringing the person I want back during whatever time I use the spell true resurrection,
Anyone you resurrect promptly dies again once you stop casting the spell.

Alternatively, the incomparable power over life and death you have gained just turns you into a new goddess, and you are promptly turned into an NPC as the existing pantheon(s) spirit you away for training in your new job.

Try "I can cast True Resurrection as an innate ability at-will without drawbacks or negative consequences." Much shorter and almost the same thing, without all the clauses that are begging for malicious twisting.

Roasted Leech
2016-11-07, 12:12 AM
Well if you really want an evil eye...let's see how many ways I can mutilate it:

The first time you use it, you become locked in a permanent Temporal Stasis effect.

Kings, gods, or really anyone with authority or power now fail to notice you exist at all, and refuse to give rewards or recognition to a figment of someone else's imagination.

Because you can use the spell, now no one in the world dies. Ever again. No matter how horrible their wounds or illness. You have unleashed the immortality apocalypse.

Anyone you resurrect promptly dies again once you stop casting the spell.

Alternatively, the incomparable power over life and death you have gained just turns you into a new goddess, and you are promptly turned into an NPC as the existing pantheon(s) spirit you away for training in your new job.

Try "I can cast True Resurrection as an innate ability at-will without drawbacks or negative consequences." Much shorter and almost the same thing, without all the clauses that are begging for malicious twisting.

Yooo! That was wicked!! Holy cow.
Thank you. This is all I needed :) I was so concerned with the wording that I over thought it..
Damn. Do you have any suggestions for another wish? If this one doesn't backfire terribly.

The Glyphstone
2016-11-07, 12:14 AM
"I wish to reverse the effects of my first wish." Just in case.

Roasted Leech
2016-11-07, 12:18 AM
"I wish to reverse the effects of my first wish." Just in case.

Fair enough. Thank you!

Kane0
2016-11-07, 12:23 AM
"I wish to be the very best, like no-one every was."

Sorry, had to.

Anyway, don't you really just want the one person brought back? Why not just wish for a true resurrection on the person you desire? Then you can use the other one for a big welcome back party.

Roasted Leech
2016-11-07, 12:31 AM
"I wish to be the very best, like no-one every was."

Sorry, had to.

Anyway, don't you really just want the one person brought back? Why not just wish for a true resurrection on the person you desire? Then you can use the other one for a big welcome back party.

That's the thing. It's not just one person.
And everyone else in our group is so cool and creative and they get big powerful weapons.. all I get is a stick and the secret that I was a changeling and not a human- which is now not a secret. My goddess was supposed to be helpful but she can't do much so I figured I'd be her backbone.

Arcangel4774
2016-11-07, 12:43 AM
I would add a "however nobody who I don't explicitly tell realize or can realize it is I who am performing these resurrections." This protects from many non negative consequences that could snowball into negativity.

The Glyphstone
2016-11-07, 12:49 AM
Why not instead wish for the ability to reanimate people as free-willed intelligent undead, essentially the old 3.5 Necropolitan template? That seems like it'd be a lot more fitting for a devotee of Evening Glory than resurrection, and it's far less prone to abuse (and thus far less likely to be twisted).

Roasted Leech
2016-11-07, 01:00 AM
Why not instead wish for the ability to reanimate people as free-willed intelligent undead, essentially the old 3.5 Necropolitan template? That seems like it'd be a lot more fitting for a devotee of Evening Glory than resurrection, and it's far less prone to abuse (and thus far less likely to be twisted).

You are on FIRE.
I could if you word it for me. But. People will still react negatively to undead.. unless the second wish boost my charisma (○ ⚈ ◡ ⚈ ○)

The Glyphstone
2016-11-07, 01:05 AM
Actually, now that I think of it, you're doing it backwards. Use your FIRST wish for something like 'I wish that my second wish would be granted as completely and closely to my intent as possible." Then you can use your SECOND wish to get what you want safely.

Kane0
2016-11-07, 01:09 AM
"I wish to be able to cast the Resurrection spell as a ritual without consuming the diamond material component"
You still need to have the diamond and you can't abuse the spell quite so bad (each casting takes most of your day) but you can effectively rez at will, so should be fair enough for your DM to consider.
If in doubt split it into two wishes: "I wish to be able to cast resurrection as a ritual spell" and "I wish for this diamond not to be consumed when casting resurrection with it"

If you're DM wants to screw you over with a wish there is no fancy wording or legalese that can save you. Your best bet is to appeal to their sense of fun and fair play. You don't want to ruin the game, you want to bring back your loved ones in a plot- and game-friendly way.

Roasted Leech
2016-11-07, 01:26 AM
Actually, now that I think of it, you're doing it backwards. Use your FIRST wish for something like 'I wish that my second wish would be granted as completely and closely to my intent as possible." Then you can use your SECOND wish to get what you want safely.

Think I could do it backwards and still have it work? So if it's fine I still have a second wish.

Roasted Leech
2016-11-07, 01:27 AM
"I wish to be able to cast the Resurrection spell as a ritual without consuming the diamond material component"
You still need to have the diamond and you can't abuse the spell quite so bad (each casting takes most of your day) but you can effectively rez at will, so should be fair enough for your DM to consider.
If in doubt split it into two wishes: "I wish to be able to cast resurrection as a ritual spell" and "I wish for this diamond not to be consumed when casting resurrection with it"

If you're DM wants to screw you over with a wish there is no fancy wording or legalese that can save you. Your best bet is to appeal to their sense of fun and fair play. You don't want to ruin the game, you want to bring back your loved ones in a plot- and game-friendly way.

"I wish for an infinite supply of diamond" hahahahhaha
You're right though.

Roasted Leech
2016-11-07, 01:48 AM
So I altered it a bit. Now it's:
I wish I can cast True Resurrection as an innate ability at-will without drawbacks or negative consequences (as defined by my preferences) without having any of the required materials or spell slots for it to work normally.

Because maybe becoming a god wouldn't be considered negative to some people.

The Glyphstone
2016-11-07, 01:50 AM
It's the "(as defined by my preferences)" bit that will trip you up if anything. Since those aren't stated or defined, there's plenty of implicit wiggle room, or explicit.

Kane0
2016-11-07, 01:53 AM
Careful of using game terms as part of an in character wish. The gameworld might have no idea what a spell slot is, unlike OotS

Roasted Leech
2016-11-07, 01:56 AM
Careful of using game terms as part of an in character wish. The gameworld might have no idea what a spell slot is, unlike OotS

POOP. What do you suggest instead? Because he'd definitely have me at 'you don't have the required spell slots.

Roasted Leech
2016-11-07, 01:57 AM
It's the "(as defined by my preferences)" bit that will trip you up if anything. Since those aren't stated or defined, there's plenty of implicit wiggle room, or explicit.

I was hoping it'd leave me room to say 'I consider that a negative consequence' because of the previously stated god thing.

The Glyphstone
2016-11-07, 02:18 AM
"innate ability' should cover it. Creatures with at-will magical abilities don't have spell slots either.

I was hoping it'd leave me room to say 'I consider that a negative consequence' because of the previously stated god thing.
Even that could be twisted into a negative consequence - you start to use the ability but it can't resolve until you confirm or deny the 'negativeness' of a million individual specific side effects that might occur as a result of this person being returned to life. It could take weeks or months to perform each resurrection depending on who the target was and all the things they might do or not do with the life they are about to get back.

More likely it's just be ignored because the genie is lazy, and will do the minimum effort needed to grant your wish. Trying to guess what you'd consider negative would take extra effort, and as shown above you don't want an open-ended clause of refusal like that.

Slipperychicken
2016-11-07, 02:38 AM
I've seen this problem a lot, so here's what I would do. I'd start a dialogue with the ring-entity about the nature of its wishes, how much power it can spare to make things happen, figure out what kind of effect would come from each wording (i.e. "how would you resolve a wish like this?"), get on its good side, and try to work with it so I can make the best wish I can. The key thing is to make the wish-granter see you as a friend, so he's willing to help you get what you want. You want to steer this situation away from antagonistic legalese and toward a friendly mutual partnership.

If needed, I'd also try to make an informal deal with the wish-granter. If he grants the first wish to my satisfaction, I'll use the second one to help him out in some way. Maybe free him from the ring, or something like that.

And of course, if the ring-genie doesn't want to play ball, seems untrustworthy, or tries to hustle you into a wish that it will lazily execute, refer to the quote below:

Don't wish for anything. Don't take the bait. Throw the ring away. It sounds like the DM wants an excuse to screw over your character.

This your safest option, and arguably the best one.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-11-07, 05:50 AM
Another option - ask for either 'to possess the ability to cast the resurrection spell innately as if I were a Solar-class Angel', or simply for ' to possess the innate spellcasting abilities of a Solar-class Angel'*. Now, this does offer an obvious twist - gaining the ability to do so by turning into a Solar - but for a devout follower of one's deity, that might not be a downside.

*Solars have the Innate Spellcasting ability to cast resurrection 3 times per day without using material components.

Coffee_Dragon
2016-11-07, 10:50 AM
This whole thing of screw-proofing wishes by way of excessive verbiage seems very meta to me. Are you not playing out these things in the game, how your character would react to getting a wish, come up with one and express it? If I were a genie and someone said all that to me I'd be tapping my fingers meanwhile and when they were done I'd go, "I said you'd get one wish, try again. But I like how you managed to pronounce all those parentheses."

(Getting free use of a 9th-level spell is definitely out of bounds for a standard Wish as one of the normal uses is to duplicate any spell of 8th level or lower once.)

Generally, if you get a wish from a benevolent source, express what you want and expect not to get screwed. If you get a wish from a malicious or arbitrary source, walk away and don't give them any excuses to wreck you.

TheUser
2016-11-07, 10:56 AM
"I WISH FOR INFINITE WISHES!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwic3hJ4q1A

arrowed
2016-11-07, 11:10 AM
'I wish for a Solar to be my ally.'? Not necessarily OP, leaves most of the power in the DM's hands, might give you good access to Resurrection as long as you can persuade the Solar it's worth it, and you have an epic-CR ally to bail you out in hot water. Of course, if you aren't already good , your DM is cruel, or you try to abuse the alliance, it could all go horribly wrong. Overall wishing for infinite Resurrection just seems like world-changing power. I don't think it will go well. Err on the side of caution would be my advice.

Reaper34
2016-11-07, 04:54 PM
You have 2 wishes that will be granted by an intelligent being that's trapped in a ring. it messes up wishes because he's mischivious, lazy, and bored. chanches are he wants to be free and will pay much more attention if it has a stake in the game.

wish 1. i wish that if i am satified with how wish 2 works out you are free from your prison, and will return to it if you intentionally cause effects i'm adverse to by granting the wish.

wish 2. i wish to be able to cast true resurection at will as a spell like ability.

it now has a vested interest in not screwing you over. it gives up a moment of pleasure (screwing you over) for eternity of freedom. make the entity work for you. it knows if it screws you over, it goes back in the ring. not fool proof but no wish ever is.

Specter
2016-11-07, 05:08 PM
The only way I can see this ressurection thing as being foolproof is asking for a Rod of Ressurection.

Coffee_Dragon
2016-11-07, 05:15 PM
The only way I can see this ressurection thing as being foolproof is asking for a Rod of Ressurection.

Bam! You are transported to the Chamber of Rods of Resurrection and Many Spiders on level 623 of the Dungeon of Super Hairy and also Dangerous Spiders Plus Traps (that Shoot Spiders).

Starchild7309
2016-11-07, 05:23 PM
First off, good luck, wishes are tricky things unless you use them as stated in the PHB spell description. Perhaps save them for when you are in a bind and a certain spell would save your ass.

Secondly, as a DM I would rule that each little specific alteration to the original "I want to be able to cast true resurrection," would be another wish. So each alteration and specification would be a wish so you would run out of wishes before you finished explaining what you wanted and therefore get a half completed wish.

Yagyujubei
2016-11-07, 05:29 PM
why not just say True Resurrection at will an unlimited number of uses, free of component/spell slot costs, working exactly as the spell is written, with no additional effects or adverse effects to and/or from any being on any plane of existence at any point on any timeline.

Foxydono
2016-11-07, 06:27 PM
Not that it will happen, but just thinking out loud for a powerful wish: "I wish to become the most powerful and omnipotent entity that ever lived or will live in the entire multiverse". Can't think of any direct flaws, but fire away.

Yagyujubei
2016-11-07, 06:48 PM
or how about I wish that any time I receive physical or mental damage of any kind from any source it heals back to normal instantly.

or how about I wish my body becomes naturally impervious to all damage of any type be it physical or magical from any source.

that would be pretty hard to **** up without blatantly going against the wish in a way that you could likely call the DM out for. If this being is "is lazy and will do it the laziest way possible" that the DM coming up with some additional drawback to the wish goes against what he said. adding additional stipulations to the wish being made is the exact opposite of lazy.

Coffee_Dragon
2016-11-07, 07:35 PM
Not that it will happen, but just thinking out loud for a powerful wish: "I wish to become the most powerful and omnipotent entity that ever lived or will live in the entire multiverse". Can't think of any direct flaws, but fire away.

Bam! DM takes your character sheet. So far as anyone will ever know, the wish was successful.

indrabar
2016-11-07, 07:38 PM
Bam! DM takes your character sheet. So far as anyone will ever know, the wish was successful.

.... no offense, but your DM sounds like a power-hungry jerk :( Same team, guys, same team.

Roasted Leech
2016-11-07, 07:40 PM
This whole thing of screw-proofing wishes by way of excessive verbiage seems very meta to me. Are you not playing out these things in the game, how your character would react to getting a wish, come up with one and express it? If I were a genie and someone said all that to me I'd be tapping my fingers meanwhile and when they were done I'd go, "I said you'd get one wish, try again. But I like how you managed to pronounce all those parentheses."

(Getting free use of a 9th-level spell is definitely out of bounds for a standard Wish as one of the normal uses is to duplicate any spell of 8th level or lower once.)

Generally, if you get a wish from a benevolent source, express what you want and expect not to get screwed. If you get a wish from a malicious or arbitrary source, walk away and don't give them any excuses to wreck you.

I was literally going to say 'parentheses' like a grammar idiot, but that's normal for me. I've decided to do the shortened version and probably talk to the being in the ring beforehand to see what I can do to make the wish come true.

Also. Here's the thing, as I mentioned this IS something she wants. It's not the power behind it. It's the people she loves getting to live out their lives.
Her whole thing is, she's a changling. One of her parents was a doppelganger and killed the other parent. So my character blames herself for their death and joined Evening Glory with the hopes of one day reviving them.
But to do that she needs to recruit enough followers for Evening Glory for her to have the power to do so. If she can get around it with a wish, that'd be great..
But now when people around her start falling she feels the same guilt she felt with her family and wants to give everyone a chance to live out their stolen lives.

Coffee_Dragon
2016-11-07, 07:41 PM
.... no offense, but your DM sounds like a power-hungry jerk :( Same team, guys, same team.

It's a joke. But joking aside, I can't imagine that actually becoming "the most powerful and omnipotent entity" etc. would leave you with the same priorities as before.

Roasted Leech
2016-11-07, 07:45 PM
Bam! You are transported to the Chamber of Rods of Resurrection and Many Spiders on level 623 of the Dungeon of Super Hairy and also Dangerous Spiders Plus Traps (that Shoot Spiders).

That'd be pretty sweet.

Roasted Leech
2016-11-07, 07:55 PM
"I wish to have a rod of resurrection with infinite charges that only I can wield and cannot be more than 20 feet away from me without drawbacks or negative consequences."
Maybe? I worded it like that out of fear of someone stealing it.

Addaran
2016-11-07, 08:03 PM
"I wish to have a rod of resurrection with infinite charges that only I can wield and cannot be more than 20 feet away from me without drawbacks or negative consequences."
Maybe? I worded it like that out of fear of someone stealing it.

Could be understood as "if the rod is more then 20 feets from me, there will be a drawback/negative consequence".
And not totally clear if the without drawbacks/negative consequences are refering to keeping the rod close to you (can't be stolen) or to the part where you acquire the rod ( not teleporting in the Big Evil Boss' room / the rod being fueled by random people's life)

Would probably be easier to just ask for a normal one, then ressurect your parent and ration the rest of the charges. Or an unlimited charge one without the "can't be stolen" close, cause that's more chance to have weird interpretation.

Roasted Leech
2016-11-07, 08:13 PM
Could be understood as "if the rod is more then 20 feets from me, there will be a drawback/negative consequence".
And not totally clear if the without drawbacks/negative consequences are refering to keeping the rod close to you (can't be stolen) or to the part where you acquire the rod ( not teleporting in the Big Evil Boss' room / the rod being fueled by random people's life)

Would probably be easier to just ask for a normal one, then ressurect your parent and ration the rest of the charges. Or an unlimited charge one without the "can't be stolen" close, cause that's more chance to have weird interpretation.

"I wish to have a rod of resurrection with infinite charges without drawbacks or negative consequences that only I can wield."
Better?

JackPhoenix
2016-11-08, 04:56 AM

*retroactively erases every living thing except you from existence. Enjoy your empty multiverse*

Blacky the Blackball
2016-11-08, 05:14 AM

Lolth be praised!

Foxydono
2016-11-08, 06:15 AM
*retroactively erases every living thing except you from existence. Enjoy your empty multiverse*
That will not work, as I have become an entity more powerful and omnipotent than any other entity that ever lived or will live. So also more powerful than the creator of the multiverse and every being in it. That fact doesn't change even if you remove every living from existence because at one point they did exist. So as the most powerful entity I can simply return everyone at will.

JackPhoenix
2016-11-08, 07:01 AM
That will not work, as I have become an entity more powerful and omnipotent than any other entity that ever lived or will live. So also more powerful than the creator of the multiverse and every being in it. That fact doesn't change even if you remove every living from existence because at one point they did exist. So as the most powerful entity I can simply return everyone at will.

If you kill them, yes, they did exist. If you retroactively erase them from existence, they never existed in the first place...that's what the "retroactive" part is for. Also, you assume multiverse had a creator (outside the GM).

If you're the only one who ever existed, you're, by the definition, the most powerful entity in the multiverse, as there isn't or ever was anyone more potent than you are.

Foxydono
2016-11-08, 11:18 AM
If you kill them, yes, they did exist. If you retroactively erase them from existence, they never existed in the first place...that's what the "retroactive" part is for. Also, you assume multiverse had a creator (outside the GM).

If you're the only one who ever existed, you're, by the definition, the most powerful entity in the multiverse, as there isn't or ever was anyone more potent than you are.
Ah, you mean it like that. Well than you are on thin ice because you are altering not only reality, but time and space itself. That would mean time is not a lineair thing in your campaign. In this case I would argue that there are infinitive timelines co-existing with each other and that if only the timeline of my reality is altered, there are still infinitive other timelines with other Gods that exist or have existed.

But you could add a line like: 'without altering the space time continuüm' or 'without retroactively altertering reality' to the wish. It's a good find though :)

Coffee_Dragon
2016-11-08, 11:24 AM
You could avoid the retroactivity/alteration thing if you just use an empty multiverse next door.

Foxydono
2016-11-08, 11:45 AM
You could avoid the retroactivity/alteration thing if you just use an empty multiverse next door.
Well as I said in my previous post, if there are infinitive timelines that co-exist, than making you the most powerful entity that ever lived or will live doesn't exclude entities in other timelines. So just teleporting you to an empty multiverse would not work.

Foxydono
2016-11-08, 12:17 PM
On a more serious note to actually provide an answer to your question. Instead of wishing for True ressurection as a cantrip I would wish for something a bit more subtle like: "I wish to permantly obtain all the physical attributes and spell casting abilities of a Solar."

You cannot infinitly cast true ressurection spells, but you can ressurect and still have a lot of other cool stuff. It's also something a DM can play with without it breaking the game.

Edit: the 'easiest' way for a lazy wish caster to do this, is to turn you info an actual Solar (I don't know whether this is problematic for you) or maybe he or she does something else I haven't thought of. You could add a sentence like 'in accordance to my will'. It is a bit cheesy, but if anything happens you do not want you can say that it simply doesn't happen like that because it isn't your will for it to happen like that. A counter argument for the DM is to say your will was altered magically, so to avoid this you could say: 'In accordance with my will without it being altered in any way'.

The problem is, the more you say the more you can get yourself into trouble. And adding a sentence like 'in accordance with my will', will likely piss off the DM because you are trying to 'outsmart' him or her. It also gives your DM more ammunition, so I would just ask the wish I stated in my origional post and see what happens :)

Baptor
2016-11-08, 12:20 PM

This. I had a DM years ago who felt wishes were for this purpose, a la monkey's paw. We found a charged luck blade in one of his games and immediately we decided to leave it behind rather than take the risk. Then we found out the luck blade was intelligent. It demanded we use it to wish with it and when we refused the DM rolled an ego check against the person holding it and won, forcing him to wish. We tried the most harmless wish we could think of (making it warmer in the cave because we were taking damage from frostbite) and the DM transported us to prehistoric times when this region was warm. We used the second wish to try and get back and it caused a temporal paradox that destroyed the universe. I told the DM that was the last game I ever played in with him as DM.

Coffee_Dragon
2016-11-08, 12:26 PM
I told the DM that was the last game I ever played in with him as DM.

When you get to the "destroy the universe" part it kinda sounds like exploding the campaign/group may have been the intended result.

Baptor
2016-11-08, 12:29 PM
When you get to the "destroy the universe" part it kinda sounds like exploding the campaign/group may have been the intended result.

He was known for killing off groups, but usually we could at least blame it on something we did that was overreaching or whatever. He loved things that were uber hard, and I respected that. But this time it was petty and we made the right choice, but he killed us anyways. It was like he was angry with us for making a good decision. I think he got off on killing parties.

RickAllison
2016-11-08, 12:45 PM

BAM! The DM gives you his screen and notes and picks up the character sheet he has been dying to play. Your PC is now the most powerful entity in the multiverse, the DM!

Sicarius Victis
2016-11-08, 02:02 PM
or how about I wish that any time I receive physical or mental damage of any kind from any source it heals back to normal instantly.

or how about I wish my body becomes naturally impervious to all damage of any type be it physical or magical from any source.

1. Monk walks up, kills with a Quivering Palm. It doesn't quite do damage, it just reduces you to 0 hit points. Thus, a Quivering Palm, or any similar effect, would still kill you.

2. Your body transforms into an unbreakable diamond, rendering you nothing but a statue (as diamonds are far from flexible). You cannot do anything, or even move, but the statue can't be broken. You're doomed to stay where you were for all eternity, as your unbreakable body can't be killed, or even damaged. If you choose to specify that mental damage can't hurt you, you can't even to insane to escape your prison.

Nothing is foolproof, and attempts at invulnerability/invincibility/immortality are quite the opposite.

Yagyujubei
2016-11-08, 02:57 PM
1. Monk walks up, kills with a Quivering Palm. It doesn't quite do damage, it just reduces you to 0 hit points. Thus, a Quivering Palm, or any similar effect, would still kill you.

2. Your body transforms into an unbreakable diamond, rendering you nothing but a statue (as diamonds are far from flexible). You cannot do anything, or even move, but the statue can't be broken. You're doomed to stay where you were for all eternity, as your unbreakable body can't be killed, or even damaged. If you choose to specify that mental damage can't hurt you, you can't even to insane to escape your prison.

Nothing is foolproof, and attempts at invulnerability/invincibility/immortality are quite the opposite.

1. anything that reduces your hitpoints counts as damage including QP so this doesnt work.

2. ok, "without changing it physically in any way".

anyway, any DM that grants wishes just to cause problems is a douchbag anyway so either he'll troll you no matter what you do, or he's a nice guy you can get a really cool bonus but i wouldn't count on this one.

Kane0
2016-11-08, 04:13 PM
"I wish to he able to return the dead to life"

You have to make the wish in character, which means you can't meta. This also allows your DM to come up with something cool.
If your DM is adverserial (and you aren't looking for that) why are you even using the wish in the first place?

JackPhoenix
2016-11-08, 05:15 PM
1. anything that reduces your hitpoints counts as damage including QP so this doesnt work.

Please quote where do you get your definition of what counts as damage. Also, the wish said you'll be healed after taking damage, which means that effect that kills you instantly upon reaching 0 hp (Disintegrate, QP, massive damage) or kill without causing hp damage (Power Word Kill) would still kill you before you get a chance to heal

2. ok, "without changing it physically in any way".

You're now encased in aforementioned diamond, or indestructible force field. You'll either suffocate (no damage, you'll just drop to zero hp and die, and you can't be healed while suffocating), or starve to death (exhaustion causes death with no damage or death saves involved)

Sigreid
2016-11-09, 12:19 AM
So, more to the OP's question. If I were a DM, I'd probably balk at unlimited true resurrection for free as that is a huge disincentive for the rest of the party to be careful. I would be more comfortable with

"I wish for the ability to call any willing soul back from eternity to full life and health, regardless of the manner or time of their death, or the presence of surviving remains at each full moon."

So, you have true resurrection, but the group knows that if they just say "screw it, she's got us covered" they'll be sitting out the game for a while. Your 4 friends all die? Potentially 4 months to get the band back together.

RickAllison
2016-11-09, 12:53 AM
So, more to the OP's question. If I were a DM, I'd probably balk at unlimited true resurrection for free as that is a huge disincentive for the rest of the party to be careful. I would be more comfortable with

"I wish for the ability to call any willing soul back from eternity to full life and health, regardless of the manner or time of their death, or the presence of surviving remains at each full moon."

So, you have true resurrection, but the group knows that if they just say "screw it, she's got us covered" they'll be sitting out the game for a while. Your 4 friends all die? Potentially 4 months to get the band back together.

And four months is long enough for most world-threatening plots to become impossible...

Idkwhatmyscreen
2016-11-09, 01:53 AM
1.I wish that I can cast the true resurrection spell, without limitations other then those I choose to set at the time of casting.

2. I wish that if at anytime I am dissatisfied with the results of my first wish. I will have the choice to rest the universe to this exact point in time and space before I wished my wishes, retaining a perfect knowledge of what has transpired, prior to the perfect rest.

Maybe you should do number 2 before number 1, just to make sure you don't die before you cast the loophole