PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to optimize the Sap? [3.5]

SangoProduction
2016-11-07, 01:24 AM
I am playing a character devoted to Good, and inflicts 2d6 rounds of Paralysis on each melee strike. I am also being told that most non-rogue-like martial classes might not be in play. So, my thoughts went to "hey, non-lethal sneak attacks sound like a nice complement, and can ensure a bit of a longer lasting 'paralysis' at that."

Inevitability
2016-11-07, 01:34 AM
2d6 rounds of paralysis is already ridiculously good. Is there a save or something?

SangoProduction
2016-11-07, 01:41 AM
2d6 rounds of paralysis is already ridiculously good. Is there a save or something?

Yeah, but the character's constitution bonus is so good it's basically whenever I hit (which, admittedly, is less likely due to not having as much Strength as others and 1 Dexterity, but hey), unless I run in to a raging barbarian with enhanced Fort saves.

Vaz
2016-11-07, 01:47 AM
How do you deal 2d6 rounds of Paralysis in 3.5?If you're dealing it with each strike, then there's not much point in spending resources further, as you just attack them every other round. Also, a raging Barbarian doesn't really narrow it down. A 1st Level Barbarian is putting out ~+6 Fort Saves, while a Barbarian with a couple of Barbarian Prestige Classes at level 20, with maxed Con and some decent save items can put out as much as +~25.

if you're looking to optimize the sap, taking Boomerang Daze and the Aptitude enhancement for the sap can questionably apply the no save daze to the sap's attack. But no, the sap cannot be optimized any more than any other weapon can. Have a look at Sneak Attack handbooks and Weapon guides for ideas on where to go forwards from there.

SangoProduction
2016-11-07, 01:54 AM
How do you deal 2d6 rounds of Paralysis in 3.5?If you're dealing it with each strike, then there's not much point in spending resources further, as you just attack them every other round. Also, a raging Barbarian doesn't really narrow it down. A 1st Level Barbarian is putting out ~+6 Fort Saves, while a Barbarian with a couple of Barbarian Prestige Classes at level 20, with maxed Con and some decent save items can put out as much as +~25.

if you're looking to optimize the sap, taking Boomerang Daze and the Aptitude enhancement for the sap can questionably apply the no save daze to the sap's attack. But no, the sap cannot be optimized any more than any other weapon can. Have a look at Sneak Attack handbooks and Weapon guides for ideas on where to go forwards from there.

cool. I'll look at that guide thanks.

Vaz
2016-11-07, 01:57 AM
I'm still intrigued as that 2d6 rounds of paralysis. Do you have a source?

SangoProduction
2016-11-07, 02:02 AM
Gelatinous Cube, April Augmented 2016.

Troacctid
2016-11-07, 02:11 AM
The truncheon is a one-handed version of the sap that deals 1d8 base damage instead of 1d6. If you aren't using Weapon Finesse, it's probably better.

Vaz
2016-11-07, 02:13 AM
Gelatinous Cube, April Augmented 2016.

Ah, Pathfinder, not 3.5. Sorry, don't have a clue about that. Might want to rephrase your title.

SangoProduction
2016-11-07, 02:16 AM
Ah, Pathfinder, not 3.5. Sorry, don't have a clue about that. Might want to rephrase your title.

It has been backported to 3.5

The truncheon is a one-handed version of the sap that deals 1d8 base damage instead of 1d6. If you aren't using Weapon Finesse, it's probably better.

That's nice. I'll probably use that thanks. Book of Exalted Deeds, yes?