PDA

View Full Version : Two Monk Feats

RTGoodman
2007-07-12, 10:14 PM
This is the first time I've actually submitted any of my homebrew stuff for anyone else's critique (curse you, crippling self-doubt!), but I thought I'd share these since I've never seen anything like them before.

So, what do you, oh great Homebrewers in the Playground, think about them as far as balance/power/etc?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Double Axe Handle [General]

Rather than striking with quick jabs and thrusts, you attack your opponent with both fists clasped together, swinging with more strength than you could with a single fist.

Prerequisites: Improved Unarmed Strike (or the monk’s Unarmed Strike class ability)

Benefits: Your unarmed strikes are treated as though they were a two-handed weapon as well as a light weapon (and are thus still usable with the Weapon Finesse feat). When you make an attack with your unarmed strike, you may add one-and-a-half times your Str modifier to damage. This also allows you to use your unarmed strike as a two-handed weapon with Power Attack feat for the purpose of gaining extra damage when using that feat or any other with that feat as a prerequisite.

Normal: Your unarmed strikes are treated as a light weapon, and your unarmed strike counts as such when using the Power Attack feat.

Special: A fighter may select Double Axe Handle as one of his fighter bonus feats. A monk may select Double Axe Handle as a bonus feat at 6th level.

Sleeper Hold [General]

You grapple your opponent into submission, using your flexed arm to constrict his airway until he passes out.

Prerequisites: Strength 13+, Improved Unarmed Strike (or monk's Unarmed Strike class ability), Improved Grapple

Benefits: If you pin an opponent while grappling, you may declare that you are using this feat and attempt to maintain the pin for a full round. If you are successful, your opponent must make a Fortitude save equal to 10 + one-half your level + your Strength modifier. If your opponent fails, he falls unconscious for 1d4 rounds.

Undead, constructs, other creatures immune to sneak attack, and creatures with an obscure anatomy are not subject to the effects of this feat.

Normal: When you grapple or pin an opponent, you are limited to the actions listed in the Player’s Handbook section on grappling, pg. 155-157.

Special: A fighter may select Sleeper Hold as one of his fighter bonus feats.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Cryopyre
2007-07-12, 10:28 PM
I like it, but I have no real eye for balance.

Matthew
2007-07-28, 05:19 PM
Note that Unarmed Strikes specifically do work with Power Attack, as per the text of the Feat.

Fax Celestis
2007-07-28, 06:02 PM
Note that Unarmed Strikes specifically do work with Power Attack, as per the text of the Feat.

They work with it, yes, but this lets you get 2*penalty in return, since it makes them "like a 2-handed weapon."

Matthew
2007-07-28, 06:16 PM
Sure, but I am referring to the normal line in the Double Axe Handle Feat:

Normal: Your unarmed strikes are treated as a light weapon, and your unarmed strike counts as such when using the Power Attack feat.

...which looks misleading to me.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-07-29, 04:49 PM
Hrm, about Sleeper Hold... In general, when using a sleeper hold against a grappled opponent, it takes a good deal longer than six seconds for the opponent to pass out. It usually takes about that long for the opponent to realize "Oh, crap, I'm starting to black out!" At which time he struggles twofold. About twenty seconds after that you can be sure that they're not going to get up when you let go, assuming they're not used to that sort of thing. An experienced martial artist that sees this coming can measure the breathing for well over a minute while trying to writhe free.

I think maybe a smaller, but increasing DC would be better for this. Remember that noone in their right mind would attempt a sleeper hold in anything other than a one-on-one match.

Hadrian_Emrys
2007-07-29, 04:53 PM
It'd be better use somehow make use of the drowning rules. Choking someone out is a long, and nasty bit of business. Don't get me wrong, it's fun to do to someone in a fight, but it takes tons longer than a round.

palindrome
2007-07-29, 05:27 PM
I don't particularly agree about using drowning rules. A well executed sleeper hold blocks off the blood to the brain, and can black someone out in less than ten seconds, easily. Choke outs executed like a sleeper hold will probably crush the larynx, at which point you can get up and walk away and the poor sap will be choking on their own body.