PDA

View Full Version : Player races from volo's guide

Sir cryosin
2016-11-07, 10:45 AM
I was reading volo's guide. And a lot of the players races seemed a bit op compared to phb player race. What are ya'lls opion on this book.

Ps. I also felt it was a bit lacking on monsters. I would like more.

mgshamster
2016-11-07, 11:44 AM
100 new monsters, new beasts, and new NPCs, plus full lore detail on 8 more momsters was lacking?!

Geeze dude.

N810
2016-11-07, 11:49 AM
Nope Variant Human is still more powerful. :nale:

j_spencer93
2016-11-07, 12:12 PM
I didn't really find any of them OP. A few seem slightly more powerful, but I havent had a single game were people choose the slightly more powerful race over the race they liked.

SharkForce
2016-11-07, 12:26 PM
from what others have posted, there are a couple of races that might be a bit better for specific builds, but nothing i would say is outright better.

RickAllison
2016-11-07, 01:13 PM
from what others have posted, there are a couple of races that might be a bit better for specific builds, but nothing i would say is outright better.

Unless it is a sprinting build, in which case Tabaxi rule over all contenders. While only having the base 30 speed, the doubled speed from its sprint stacks with everything and so doesn't run into problems like the aarakocra's fly speed not working with certain speed buffs.

DrDinocrusher
2016-11-07, 01:19 PM
The only races I think are OP are Yuan-Ti, and then maybe Kobolds and Tabaxi. But I think they balanced them just against the PHB and after thinking about it, it makes sense that these races would be powerful. Assuming the PHB+1 rule was kept in mind, if these races were perfectly balanced against the PHB then AL players would be in trouble since they'd be choosing an unexciting race at the cost of anything from SCAG or EE (and next year, probably unearthed arcana or something similar). Thus you get a powerful race in exchange for keeping your class totally vanilla, which I think is a fair trade. If you're not in the AL, the DM can tweak or allow the races at their leisure.

And the book most definitely wasn't lacking. Like a hundred monsters, excellent lore (particularly the section on giants), and 12ish new PC races? Great book.

Joe the Rat
2016-11-07, 01:21 PM
ba wha?
Holy crap Mobile Tabaxi Monk-with-maybe-a-dash-of-thief-to-save-ki-and-climb-faster.

RickAllison
2016-11-07, 01:34 PM
ba wha?
Holy crap Mobile Tabaxi Monk-with-maybe-a-dash-of-thief-to-save-ki-and-climb-faster.

Blade singer 2 for Longstrider or 5 for that and Haste (+20 and doubled speed), Barbarian 5 (+10 speed, though an actual build probably won't use it so it can have concentration anyway) then Monk. I would have to do some calculations, but this might finally beat the sound barrier with appropriate extras.

SharkForce
2016-11-07, 01:43 PM
Unless it is a sprinting build, in which case Tabaxi rule over all contenders. While only having the base 30 speed, the doubled speed from its sprint stacks with everything and so doesn't run into problems like the aarakocra's fly speed not working with certain speed buffs.

being better at a sprinting build is pretty much the same as being just a bit better. sure, it sprints more than anyone else (for one round). at anything else, it's gonna be pretty comparable to a PHB race. maybe a tiny bit better, maybe a tiny bit worse.

Joe the Rat
2016-11-07, 01:45 PM
Team game. Have the wizard (whizzard?) cast them on the monkelkbarianrogue kitty (so you can get that +15 for a round-or more if someone attacks you)

RickAllison
2016-11-07, 02:03 PM
Team game. Have the wizard (whizzard?) cast them on the monkelkbarianrogue kitty (so you can get that +15 for a round-or more if someone attacks you)

But the Bladesong also gives +10 speed! It would be great if Haste is offloaded, but the bonus from Bladesong is a huge boost with little investment.

Thief also seems redundant. We save some ki every short rest, but we aren't getting anything else out of there and sustained Dashing gives exhaustion anyway.

EDIT: Some quick calculations. Assuming a speed of sound of 1126 ft/s, and assuming we have access to Haste and Boots of Speed as well as some bonus action Dash, we need to reach a base speed of 211 ft.

tieren
2016-11-07, 02:28 PM
But the Bladesong also gives +10 speed!

Tabaxi are not elves.

Kadzar
2016-11-07, 03:24 PM
sustained Dashing gives exhaustion anyway. Where are you getting that from? I'm actually curious, because it came up in our last game, but all we could find was rules for forced marching.

And I agree with you about not needing to sustain the dash. Though I wonder why people in this thread consider sprinting speed so important. I guess it's nice to be able to close into melee if you're really far away or get a head start on running away from enemies, and, unlike the goblin ability, doesn't use your bonus action, so it can be used with Cunning Action. So, I guess, in certain circumstances, it might be good, but it doesn't seem like a situation you'd really want to build for except for the sake of building.

mgshamster
2016-11-07, 03:45 PM
Where are you getting that from? I'm actually curious, because it came up in our last game, but all we could find was rules for forced marching.

DMG Chase rules.

RickAllison
2016-11-07, 03:51 PM
Where are you getting that from? I'm actually curious, because it came up in our last game, but all we could find was rules for forced marching.

And I agree with you about not needing to sustain the dash. Though I wonder why people in this thread consider sprinting speed so important. I guess it's nice to be able to close into melee if you're really far away or get a head start on running away from enemies, and, unlike the goblin ability, doesn't use your bonus action, so it can be used with Cunning Action. So, I guess, in certain circumstances, it might be good, but it doesn't seem like a situation you'd really want to build for except for the sake of building.

It's from the Chase rules (I think in the DMG). It is ignored for normal combat because there are few enough rounds where the characters are Dashing to make the rules relevant and so they are ignored for the few that are. But when you are talking about someone explicitly trying to run, those chase rules now are relevant!

For me, sprinting speed is primarily about one thing: Get the heck out of Dodge! If there is one lesson I've picked up from Call of Cthulhu, it is that the ability to exfiltrate ahead of your companions keeps you on this side of death. Normally it doesn't matter that much, but the Tabaxi ability is insane because the only requirement for recharging is holding still a round. This is perfect for rogues diving from cover to cover, barbarians or paladins who want to stay right in the face of the enemy, or archers who want to effectively move around the battlefield (especially combined with that now-doubled 20' climb speed!). In such a case, we don't need sprinting like breaking the speed of sound; that is just a personal goal because it is awesome. Instead, it is about the ability to be wherever the suer needs to be and the Tabaxi racial ability is perfect for that. Bonus points for Mobile meaning you can have a wall-crawling cat zipping in and out of battle without taking any melee hits!

RickAllison
2016-11-07, 05:00 PM
Tabaxi are not elves.

I don't play AL and have never had a DM who had any problem with lifting that restriction so long as it makes sense. Tabaxi adventurers tend to be the kinds who constantly seek out knowledge. If any non-elf had reason to be a Bladesinger, that one would be. I would understand if there was a game-breaking combo, but as it is the two race-locked archetypes are so purely for story reasons. Any game that does not strictly follow Forgotten Realms lore with zero deviations has no problem with removing the restrictions.

Sir cryosin
2016-11-08, 07:27 AM
The only races I think are OP are Yuan-Ti, and then maybe Kobolds and Tabaxi. But I think they balanced them just against the PHB and after thinking about it, it makes sense that these races would be powerful. Assuming the PHB+1 rule was kept in mind, if these races were perfectly balanced against the PHB then AL players would be in trouble since they'd be choosing an unexciting race at the cost of anything from SCAG or EE (and next year, probably unearthed arcana or something similar). Thus you get a powerful race in exchange for keeping your class totally vanilla, which I think is a fair trade. If you're not in the AL, the DM can tweak or allow the races at their leisure.

And the book most definitely wasn't lacking. Like a hundred monsters, excellent lore (particularly the section on giants), and 12ish new PC races? Great book.

How are kobolds and tabaxi op? Kobolds get the -2 to str and +2 to dex making it the only ace in 5e getting a negative to a stat then they have sunlight sensitivity. Only other ability they get is pack tactics, then cower and grovel.
Then the tabaxi has d4 claws, a sprint were you have to not move next turn after using it.
I was disappointed with the kobolds I wanted to play one but I wouldnt pick one now.

mgshamster
2016-11-08, 10:04 AM
How are kobolds and tabaxi op? Kobolds get the -2 to str and +2 to dex making it the only ace in 5e getting a negative to a stat then they have sunlight sensitivity. Only other ability they get is pack tactics, then cower and grovel.
Then the tabaxi has d4 claws, a sprint were you have to not move next turn after using it.
I was disappointed with the kobolds I wanted to play one but I wouldnt pick one now.

Orcs also get a -2 penalty.

Pack tactics is currently considered the strongest racial ability in the game, with a debatable exception of variant human.

You effectively will never have disadvantage to an attack, and almost always have advantage (as long as you're not outside in the daytime). It significantly increases the dpr of every martial build.

It also makes a small creature with a heavy weapon a viable option. A kobold with a Greatsword is just hilarious.

Maxilian
2016-11-08, 10:18 AM

Why wouldn't you pick one, the Pact Tactics is basically there to let you ignore Sunlight Sensitivity

Shining Wrath
2016-11-08, 10:43 AM
Tanaxi upgraded ranger at level 8: ignore difficult terrain and Dash as a bonus action. You may be able to build a faster sprinter, but if you want to do the "carry message through the wilderness long-distance runner" bit, I think that wins.

RickAllison
2016-11-08, 12:43 PM
Tanaxi upgraded ranger at level 8: ignore difficult terrain and Dash as a bonus action. You may be able to build a faster sprinter, but if you want to do the "carry message through the wilderness long-distance runner" bit, I think that wins.

Unfortunately, Tabaxi doesn't help with that much. For every turn you want doubled speed, you spend a move where you don't move at all... Actually, that is a great ability for anyone who needs to navigate. They can move at the same speed as the other Rangers, but they get a skill use every other turn while doing so.

As for Tabaxi power levels and whether it is OP, remember that it also gets two of the most common skills (Stealth and Perception).

Foxhound438
2016-11-08, 04:27 PM
so my question is.... how good is druid kobold? Putting pack tacs on something that normally doesn't get it is something to look out for.

Aside from that, easy advantage for chain warlock 3/ whatever x?

Not sure just how powerful you can make it, advantage is usually something you want to abuse with power attack feats- GWM is kind of in a bad spot, since you can only ever have net neutral; meanwhile, pack tacs also applies to ranged attacks (and spell attacks, but I'll get back to that in a bit), so something like a deep stalker revised ranger with sharpshooter stands out in theory.

The other way to make the pack tacks good is maybe to shoot guiding bolts as your preferred method of attack? Not sure how good that is... Every hit lets you give a teammate advantage, but you'd want a way to get extra L1 slots. Something like sorcerer x/ cleric 1, use font of magic? twin spell would probably be good there too.

MaxWilson
2016-11-08, 05:04 PM
so my question is.... how good is druid kobold? Putting pack tacs on something that normally doesn't get it is something to look out for.

It depends how your DM reads Sunlight Sensitivity. If your DM reads it like Giant2005 does, so that wildshaping makes it go away, then a Kobold Druid is maybe 16% better than other druids.

Justification: combat power is essentially the product of offense and defense, and advantage can in some ways be treated as about a 35% boost to offense. Sqrt(1*1.35) = 1.16, so a kobold druid is kind of like having 1.16 regular druids.

If your DM decides that Sunlight Sensitivity is still a factor, then it depends on how often you get Pack Tactics relative to Sunlight Sentivity. Hard to quantify.

Foxhound438
2016-11-08, 11:23 PM
It depends how your DM reads Sunlight Sensitivity. If your DM reads it like Giant2005 does, so that wildshaping makes it go away, then a Kobold Druid is maybe 16% better than other druids.

Justification: combat power is essentially the product of offense and defense, and advantage can in some ways be treated as about a 35% boost to offense. Sqrt(1*1.35) = 1.16, so a kobold druid is kind of like having 1.16 regular druids.

If your DM decides that Sunlight Sensitivity is still a factor, then it depends on how often you get Pack Tactics relative to Sunlight Sentivity. Hard to quantify.

I guess it would work better in a campaign where you are "dungeoneers" or something, so you can basically justify not bothering anything outside in the daytime.

Sigreid
2016-11-09, 12:07 AM

It all goes back to those outdoors-man words of wisom. "I don't have to be faster than the owlbear, just faster than you."

Foxhound438
2016-11-09, 12:40 AM
So I took a good look at the aasimar change- and it's pretty powerful- perhaps even too powerful.

Did some damage calculations for a level 11 ancients paladin and compared to Vuman:

Vuman: 16/x/14/x/x/20, PAM (qs+b); casts bless turn 1, and damage at level 11 is 33.25 on average (does account for accuracy, assumes target AC of 15 for base hit chance of .65, and thus after bless .875 on 2d6+1d4+3d8+15)

Aasimar (scourge): 16/x/14/x/x/18 (starts 15/x/14/x/x/17); takes PAM at 4 (qs+b), evens str and cha at 8; turn 1 is transform, and damage at level 11 is 41.23 on average for that one fight per day (again accounts for hit chance, accuracy of .65 on 2d6+1d4+3d8+15, plus an additional 6 at the end of the turn, and if one attack hits another 11, with a ~.96 chance of applying)

The end result is that Aasimar deals about 8 damage more than Vuman, at least at level 11- a 25% improvement, not insignificant.

Here's the same builds at level 4. The Vuman comes out on top here:

Vuman: same stats, save for Cha; same strategy, average damage of 14 (base hit chance .65, ups to .875 from bless, damage of 1d6+1d4+10)

Aasimar: str mod is down by 1; average damage of 13.76 (accuracy of .6, lower due to lower str, damage of 1d6+1d4+8, a free 2, and a .84 chance on any given round of hitting another 4)

It takes a bit to catch up, but the Aasimar ends up significantly higher damage than the Vuman. Just something to keep in mind.

MaxWilson
2016-11-09, 02:12 AM
I guess it would work better in a campaign where you are "dungeoneers" or something, so you can basically justify not bothering anything outside in the daytime.

Or just make sure you have someone else in the party who can cover outdoors scenarios well. E.g. you're a kobold Moon Druid who relies on Conjure Animals when outdoors; you have a buddy who's a Mounted Combatant Great Weapon Master who rides you around when outdoors while peppering the enemy with arrows from on top of your back. (Bonus: if you transform into a Huge creature he can get advantage against even Large creatures.)

Maxilian
2016-11-09, 09:43 AM

If that's the way "Darkvision" is seen, i see no way why "Sunlight Sensitivity" will be seen different

Mandragola
2016-11-09, 10:10 AM
I think the new races are pretty cool. It has actually come just in time for our group. We're about to kick off out of the abyss, so the assorted weird and wonderful player races could all potentially make an appearance. One of the players wants to be a tempest cleric, so maybe he can be an orc priest of gruumsh!

I don't think any of them are all that unbalanced - or at least not to the degree that vumans and half-elves are. Actually my initial impression is that these races are a little better designed, and have had more thought put into them, than some of those in the phb. When I read them, each has made me think it would work really nicely for at least one class. I don't find that so often with the phb races. Vumans are too good, while tieflings have bonuses to a combination of stats that no class wants.

There's a bit of odd stuff though. Apparently hobgoblins make really excellent wizards, for example. The orcish penalty to intelligence isn't all that big a deal, since most front-rankers aren't even aware that intelligence is a stat in dnd.

2D8HP
2016-11-09, 10:12 AM
Nope Variant Human is still more powerful. :nale:Not when your in the dark!

MaxWilson
2016-11-09, 10:28 AM
If that's the way "Darkvision" is seen, i see no way why "Sunlight Sensitivity" will be seen different

If what's the way "Darkvision" is seen?

You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so. However, you can’t use any of your special senses, such as darkvision, unless your new form also has that sense.

Wildshape says you can retain the benefits of all your features, except that you lose any special senses. Sunlight Sensitivity is a feature, but not one that you benefit from. It's not a special sense. So... ask your DM for a ruling.

N810
2016-11-09, 11:36 AM
Not when your in the dark!

Torches are cheep.

Maxilian
2016-11-09, 01:39 PM
If what's the way "Darkvision" is seen?

Wildshape says you can retain the benefits of all your features, except that you lose any special senses. Sunlight Sensitivity is a feature, but not one that you benefit from. It's not a special sense. So... ask your DM for a ruling.

Well... i would say that Sunlight Sensitivity is part of the special senses (but i understand where you are going with that)

Note: Now i understand why you say they are not part of the senses (and you're right)

Specter
2016-11-09, 03:53 PM
I hate aasimars now, because they have an inner calling to goodness and if they don't follow that suddenly they become death knights.

DragonSorcererX
2016-11-09, 04:07 PM
I hate aasimars now, because they have an inner calling to goodness and if they don't follow that suddenly they become death knights.

I liked the new Super Saiyan Aasimar, I haven't read their fluff, my eyes instantly jumped to the Scourge Aasimar. Now I want a Scourge Aasimar Totem Barbarian//Sun Soul Monk Gestalt!

huttj509
2016-11-10, 12:44 AM
Having just got back from trying out my Tabaxi monk in AL, holy cow it was fun. To the point that I feel I'll need to find a reason to *not* strongly consider Tabaxi for any melee class I make.

a) The feline agility. Being able to close easily can be HUGE. Chasing down archers, making room for other melee folks to get in, chasing down spellcasters, it comes into play so much more than many other racial abilities I've encountered. Also, you don't need to be immobile your next turn, you can move normally, you just can't sprint again until you've had a turn where you moved 0 (and if you get into melee, then spend the next round fighting and not moving, that's a round you moved 0).

b) The claws. Ok, as a monk the main benefit of the claws is the slashing damage option. It's not bad, but not amazing. The 20 ft climb speed, however, is really nice. Oh, my athletics skill is poor? Meh, unless it's a sheer wall I'm good.

c) Bonus stealth and perception proficiency? Amazing.

d) Hey, darkvision, because you needed more reason.

Foxhound438
2016-11-10, 01:34 AM
Alright, so... kobold monk instead of tabaxi.

Start 6/17/14/10/15/8, have free advantage basically all the time, probably go shadow monk to double up on light hating

Maybe even go sun monk for kicks

huttj509
2016-11-10, 08:36 AM
Alright, so... kobold monk instead of tabaxi.

Start 6/17/14/10/15/8, have free advantage basically all the time, probably go shadow monk to double up on light hating

Maybe even go sun monk for kicks

While good, kinda depends on where you normally campaign. Last night my group was 100% outdoors during the day.

Also, darkvision doesn't see through the darkness spell. You can put other people on the same footing as you, then nullify your disadvantage with pack tactics though.

nilshai
2016-11-10, 08:51 AM
Well... i would say that Sunlight Sensitivity is part of the special senses (but i understand where you are going with that)

Note: Now i understand why you say they are not part of the senses (and you're right)

Sunlight Sensitivity is not part of a special sense, it is what makes the Kobold's normal vision a special sense. Hm, i just disproved myself.

Maxilian
2016-11-10, 09:44 AM
While good, kinda depends on where you normally campaign. Last night my group was 100% outdoors during the day.

Also, darkvision doesn't see through the darkness spell. You can put other people on the same footing as you, then nullify your disadvantage with pack tactics though.

Get a familiar or a mount and the problem its solve (also have in mind that a mounted Kobold would be Mid size so they would still be able to get inside anywhere without much of a problem)

MaxWilson
2016-11-10, 12:36 PM

If you're in darkness, your disadvantage is already nullified by the fact that you have advantage from being unseen by those you are attacking.

Zene
2016-11-10, 04:37 PM
Would a Tabaxi druid in wildshape be able to use feline agility? Are beast forms "physically capable" of feline agility? If so, another melee riding a tabaxi druid into combat could double the 'close-early' benefit.

huttj509
2016-11-10, 09:17 PM
Would a Tabaxi druid in wildshape be able to use feline agility? Are beast forms "physically capable" of feline agility? If so, another melee riding a tabaxi druid into combat could double the 'close-early' benefit.

Answer unclear, ask your GM.

I'd personally say no, as Feline Agility seems like a physical benefit.

RickAllison
2016-11-10, 10:34 PM
Answer unclear, ask your GM.

I'd personally say no, as Feline Agility seems like a physical benefit.

Yeah...

So as a blatant house rule, I suggest letting the PC have it so long as he is using a feline form!

DracoKnight
2016-11-10, 10:44 PM
So as a blatant house rule, I suggest letting the PC have it so long as he is using a feline form!

I second this! :smallbiggrin:

MaxWilson
2016-11-11, 07:52 PM
There's a bit of odd stuff though. Apparently hobgoblins make really excellent wizards, for example. The orcish penalty to intelligence isn't all that big a deal, since most front-rankers aren't even aware that intelligence is a stat in dnd.

BTW, evil DMs will take the Hobgoblin Devastator and switch out Ice Storm for Evard's Black Tentacles. Fighting a bunch of hobgoblins inside of Evard's Black Tentacles that they are immune to would be a nightmare.

=======================

Torches are cheep.

In gp, maybe. In HP, not so much. Lighting a torch in the dark virtually guarantees that you won't get surprise; doesn't prevent enemies from hiding and surprising you; and grants enemies outside the torch's illumination radius advantage on their attacks against you. E.g. hobgoblins can now shoot you from 600' away without disadvantage for long range, but you still have disadvantage to shoot back.

(BTW, I think it is silly that unseen attackers become more accurate with their missile attacks, and my variant rule is that unseen attackers only get advantage on melee attackers... but by RAW, lighting a torch is like a giant "KICK ME!" sign.)

Sigreid
2016-11-11, 08:09 PM
(BTW, I think it is silly that unseen attackers become more accurate with their missile attacks, and my variant rule is that unseen attackers only get advantage on melee attackers... but by RAW, lighting a torch is like a giant "KICK ME!" sign.)

I think it's more of you don't get to see it coming or even that your targeting you so you don't have the opportunity to make yourself less of a target (or viable target).

MaxWilson
2016-11-11, 09:10 PM
I think it's more of you don't get to see it coming or even that your targeting you so you don't have the opportunity to make yourself less of a target (or viable target).

That's probably the logic. In any case though, my point was that there are huge potential costs to lighting a torch in a dungeon. The Darkvision spell is comparatively much safer.

Sigreid
2016-11-11, 09:15 PM
That's probably the logic. In any case though, my point was that there are huge potential costs to lighting a torch in a dungeon. The Darkvision spell is comparatively much safer.

Truth, though I think you can drop the penalty for no light with dark vision with the skulker feat if you really want to.

MaxWilson
2016-11-11, 09:41 PM
Truth, though I think you can drop the penalty for no light with dark vision with the skulker feat if you really want to.

Nope. Skulker eliminates the Wisdom check disadvantage in dim light, not the automatic failure in darkness or the combat penalties, also in darkness.

Sigreid
2016-11-12, 12:13 AM
Nope. Skulker eliminates the Wisdom check disadvantage in dim light, not the automatic failure in darkness or the combat penalties, also in darkness.

What I was referring to is Darkvision treats darkness as dim light. Skulker improves your sensory perception in dim light. Perhaps DM dependent but I'd allow a character with Darkvision + Skulker to be treated in darkness just like human + Skulker in dim light.

MeeposFire
2016-11-12, 12:26 AM
Orcs also get a -2 penalty.

Pack tactics is currently considered the strongest racial ability in the game, with a debatable exception of variant human.

You effectively will never have disadvantage to an attack, and almost always have advantage (as long as you're not outside in the daytime). It significantly increases the dpr of every martial build.

It also makes a small creature with a heavy weapon a viable option. A kobold with a Greatsword is just hilarious.

I guess if viable does not mean really painful then it does but honestly the biggest reason to use a heavy weapon is to effectively use the heavy weapon feat and pack tactics won't make you effective with that.

It is certainly more playable but honestly giving up the ability to have advantage ever is just not very fun if you ask me especially on a style that really, REALLY wants it.

MaxWilson
2016-11-12, 12:43 AM
What I was referring to is Darkvision treats darkness as dim light. Skulker improves your sensory perception in dim light. Perhaps DM dependent but I'd allow a character with Darkvision + Skulker to be treated in darkness just like human + Skulker in dim light.

Oh! Right, rereading now I see that that's what you meant by "with darkvision." I misunderstood. Yes, I'd let you do that, which means that in darkness you'd be the only one making Perception checks normally--all the monsters would still be making theirs at disadvantage against you.

Skulker + darkvision + Stealth Expertise + Cunning Action/Nimble Escape really lets you clean the monsters' clocks.

================================================== =============

I guess if viable does not mean really painful then it does but honestly the biggest reason to use a heavy weapon is to effectively use the heavy weapon feat and pack tactics won't make you effective with that.

It is certainly more playable but honestly giving up the ability to have advantage ever is just not very fun if you ask me especially on a style that really, REALLY wants it.

I give you... the Enlarge spell! A Kobold Eldritch Knight who Enlarges himself, or is Enlarged by another spellcaster, not only gains bonus +d4 damage and advantage on his Strength checks, but he is also Medium instead of Small, which means no disadvantage when wielding his (now-Enlarged) greatsword or longbow.

Heavy: Small creatures have disadvantage on attack rolls with heavy weapons. A heavy weapon’s size and bulk make it too large for a Small creature to use effectively.

Also somewhat strangely, though still only 4 to 5 feet tall, they now weigh 200 to 248 lb., as much as a muscular, 6' tall human.

Princess
2016-12-01, 09:16 PM

No fluff with Mearls' name in the book is actually cannon. Just treat them as different Aasimar bloodlines in your home game and move right along. ;)

Personally I just wish they'd be more open about what will be in books and stop relying on this nonsense about surprises. No reasonable person actually enjoys being surprised - liable to get shanked that way.

ShikomeKidoMi
2016-12-03, 05:58 AM
I still find it baffling that the only racial features Orcs and Half-Orcs have in common are Darkvision (which hardly counts) and Menacing. A single shared skill proficiency doesn't make them feel related the way Fey Ancestry ties the Half-Elves to the Elves.

I'd say Half-Orcs are benefiting from some hybrid vitality, if they hadn't also lost so many features.

MaxWilson
2016-12-03, 06:07 AM
I still find it baffling that the only racial features Orcs and Half-Orcs have in common are Darkvision (which hardly counts) and Menacing. A single shared skill proficiency doesn't make them feel related the way Fey Ancestry ties the Half-Elves to the Elves.

I'd say Half-Orcs are benefiting from some hybrid vitality, if they hadn't also lost so many features.

+2 Str and +1 Con are also shared features.

I agree that it's kind of weird that Relentless just comes out of nowhere, though. You might try giving full-blooded orcs Relentless with a drawback: it drives you berserk when it activates at 0 HP, making you immune to fear but also unable to do anything except attack frantically in melee until all enemies are dead. (Call it Blood of Gruumsh instead of Relentless if you want.) So the "benefit" half-orcs are getting from their human side is +2 Int and more control over their orcish nature, plus Brutal Critical (greater skill?); in exchange they lose out on Aggressive and Powerful Build.

Cybren
2016-12-03, 06:31 AM
BTW, evil DMs will take the Hobgoblin Devastator and switch out Ice Storm for Evard's Black Tentacles. Fighting a bunch of hobgoblins inside of Evard's Black Tentacles that they are immune to would be a nightmare.
even though my phone was zoomed in past usernames, I knew who posted this
=======================

In gp, maybe. In HP, not so much. Lighting a torch in the dark virtually guarantees that you won't get surprise; doesn't prevent enemies from hiding and surprising you; and grants enemies outside the torch's illumination radius advantage on their attacks against you. E.g. hobgoblins can now shoot you from 600' away without disadvantage for long range, but you still have disadvantage to shoot back.

I think there's a lot of oddities in 5E that some see as presenting an incomplete game, but ultimately are meant to be played out in ways that make sense rather than follow rules. Respecting the fiction, and all that

ChubbyRain
2016-12-03, 08:59 AM
Not when your in the dark!

Eh... Only slightly.

Vision and Light
The most fundamental tasks of adventuring— noticing danger, finding hidden objects, hitting an enemy in combat, and targeting a spell, to name just a few—rely heavily on a character’s ability to see.

Darkness and other effects that obscure vision can prove a significant hindrance.

A given area might be lightly or heavily obscured. In a lightly obscured area, such as dim light, patchy fog, or moderate foliage, creatures have disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.

A heavily obscured area—such as darkness, opaque fog, or dense foliage—blocks vision entirely. A creature effectively suffers from the blinded condition (see appendix A) when trying to see something in that area.

The presence or absence of light in an environment creates three categories of illumination: bright light, dim light, and darkness.

Bright light lets most creatures see normally. Even gloomy days provide bright light, as do torches, lanterns, fires, and other sources of illumination within a specific radius.

Dim light, also called shadows, creates a lightly obscured area. An area of dim light is usually a boundary between a source of bright light, such as a torch, and surrounding darkness. The soft light of twilight and dawn also counts as dim light. A particularly brilliant full moon might bathe the land in dim light.

Darkness creates a heavily obscured area. Characters face darkness outdoors at night (even most moonlit nights), within the confines of an unlit dungeon or a subterranean vault, or in an area of magical darkness.

Darkvision
Many creatures in fantasy gaming worlds, especially those that dwell underground, have darkvision.

Within a specified range, a creature with darkvision can see in darkness as if the darkness were dim light, so areas of darkness are only lightly obscured as far as that creature is concerned. However, the creature can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Darkvison is better than normal vision, but doesn't guarantee you will see what you are looking for.

It depends on what you are getting from the vuman, that feat is very valuable to many builds. You don't want to wait 4 levels to play your ideal character (the biggest flaw to D&D compared to other games is that you don't get to jump I to your character right away) when you can play it at level 1.

jaappleton
2016-12-03, 09:04 AM
Tabaxi Monk with some Ranger or Rogue levels is now arguably the best scout in the game. That speed is just insane. I'm a lv2 Tabaxi Rogue and I can move 180ft in a round. Feline Agility + Dash as a bonus action + Dash as my action = Insanity.

As far as races being OP... The Aasimar requiring a full action to transform is what limits the abuse. It's still REALLY strong, but it prevents some abuse.

The only one I think is pretty OP, and wouldn't allow it (I also don't like Flying races, like Winged Tiefling or Aaracroaka) is the Yuan-Ti. Magic Resistance is simply too much there.

JakOfAllTirades
2016-12-03, 06:12 PM
I liked the new Super Saiyan Aasimar, I haven't read their fluff, my eyes instantly jumped to the Scourge Aasimar. Now I want a Scourge Aasimar Totem Barbarian//Sun Soul Monk Gestalt!

Any good grappling build for the Scourge Aasimar would be scary dangerous! A Bard with the Bull's Strength spell, Expertise in Athletics, and the Grappler feat, for example.

ShikomeKidoMi
2016-12-03, 11:00 PM
+2 Str and +1 Con are also shared features.
I'm afraid attribute bonuses don't count for much. There's only so many combinations of those and plenty of completely unrelated races share the exact same ones (whereas Half Orc and Orc only overlap, since Orc has a -2 that Half-Orc lacks). Otherwise, Tabaxi, Drow, and Lightfoot Halflings would be related.

I agree that it's kind of weird that Relentless just comes out of nowhere, though. You might try giving full-blooded orcs Relentless with a drawback: it drives you berserk when it activates at 0 HP, making you immune to fear but also unable to do anything except attack frantically in melee until all enemies are dead. (Call it Blood of Gruumsh instead of Relentless if you want.) So the "benefit" half-orcs are getting from their human side is +2 Int and more control over their orcish nature, plus Brutal Critical (greater skill?); in exchange they lose out on Aggressive and Powerful Build.

Something like that would work, sure. Alternately, replace either Brutal Critical or Relentless or both (whatever ends up being more balanced) with Aggressive. As it is, Half-Orcs don't particularly feel like relatives of Orcs so much as their own species.

The only one I think is pretty OP, and wouldn't allow it (I also don't like Flying races, like Winged Tiefling or Aaracroaka) is the Yuan-Ti. Magic Resistance is simply too much there.
It's really good, but it's balanced by their subpar attribute spread.

mgshamster
2016-12-03, 11:07 PM
As it is, Half-Orcs don't particularly feel like relatives of Orcs so much as their own species.

I've always like the idea of a half orc being their own species, anyways, so this kind of works out for me.

I'm not a big fan of the half races.

Waazraath
2016-12-04, 03:17 PM
I was reading volo's guide. And a lot of the players races seemed a bit op compared to phb player race. What are ya'lls opion on this book.

Ps. I also felt it was a bit lacking on monsters. I would like more.

To be honest: nice, but I'm not impressed, Especially considering the amount of content they are publishing (very little), I'd expected "great", not "nice".

To start with the races, since they are in the thread's title.
- aasimar in general: good that they improved the DMG version, this one is much better
- protector aasimar: subpar attribute spread, very nice ability, but 1/day. I can see myself playing this one. Great with a sorcerer with quicken, so you can enjoy your celestial transformation from turn one (use it with an action, followed by a bonus action spell with increased damage).
- scourge aasimar: better attributes, cool.
- fallen aasimar: forced fluff = meh. Great attributes for paladin, melee warlock, melee bard, or melee sorcerer. Cool.
- firbolg: meh. Good scores for cleric, or the odd str based ranger, or wis/str multiclass; few spells / spell effects, for the rest no other abilities. I'd mabye use this one to make a str based champion have a few more options, for the rest, not too interesting.
- kenku: meh. much too restrictive, seems like a gimmick imho. Why this niche race, and not something like warforged? (I know that's not tradtionally FR, but still...)
- lizardfolk: aaaargh, my eyes! Damn this art. And again, hell with this restrictive fluff nonsense, 'feels no emotion'. Great for RP, not. Not at all like the yuan-ti, btw. Con and wis can be nice, just like a swim speed, natural armor and the 2 free skills though. I'd play one with a DM that ignores the fluff.
- tabaxi: what is this? Where does this come from? Another generic 'cat people', why? In 3.5 the generic cat people were called tibbits, and they were bland and boring, though less than this one. Ok attributes for certain builds, extra skills are nice, the speed burst is nice, claws seem mostly useless. So the abilities are ok, not overpowered, but I can't see myself playing one, ever.
- triton: strong ability score increases for cha based melee builds, great in an aquatic campaign. In a normal one, I wouldn't bother. Again, rather obscure race as far as I know, was there really nothing better to publish?
- bugbear: ability scores only both relevant when making a str based fighter that needs a bit dex. Uninspiring abilities; stealth/surprise attack mix badly with a str build (that usually uses plate).
- goblin: best of the monsters imo. Attributes good for lots of builds (dex based fighters, pallies, but also rangers, monks, rogues); extra damage (without taking first an action to supercharge). Good bonus action abilties.
- hobgoblin: wtf. The race that says 'figther' even more then dwarves, is terrible for making fighters. Saving face is silly, and not that strong, martial training totally useless for fighing builds, darkvision is ok... and an increase to int and con, but not to dex or str that you need for a fighter. Terrible. They made it a good race for wizards. Plain weird.
- kobold: pack tactics great, sunlight sensitivity terrible. Only for situational underdarkcampaigns or moon druids.
- orc: terrible compared with it's half-cousin. Agressive is very meh compared with relentless endurance and savage attacks.
- yuan-ti; oh, great, another 'has no emotions' reptile. Magic resistance is nice, but imo by no means overpowered, attributes suck, and next to suggestion not much interesting.

So: meh.

Btw, why the hell did they stop to give a physical description of a new race? You only have 1 drawing, and that's it.

The rest volo's guide: I was surprised by the number of very obscure monsters they statted out. Few useful critters, but much less than could have been. The 'slithering tracker', 'leucrotta', 'korred', 'deep scion', 'banderhobb', 'frogemoth'.... seriously, what drugs did they use when they decided that this was wat needed to be statted out for 5e?! Even some of the giants are just plain weird, more freak show than fantasy. But maybe I'm just too much of a traditionalist.

As for the 9 monsters they worked out in detail: I liked it, most of them. But I can't help comparing to older editions. For example: when I bought the splat book on abberations in 3.5, I got more and better fluff on a number of monster types, and much more character options (classes, class options, feats, spells, items).

Probably I sound a bit too negative now. I'll use the book, don't regret buying it, but I simply expected a hell of alot more, given the time they take to publish new content.

DragonSorcererX
2016-12-04, 09:33 PM
- orc: terrible compared with it's half-cousin. Agressive is very meh compared with relentless endurance and savage attacks.

I don't know why, but there must be some kind of trope that "half-thing" is stronger than "thing"...

Regulas
2016-12-04, 11:14 PM
My favorite of the races is probably Goblin because that disengage kind of makes me want to actually play a Bladelock for real because it compensates for one of my biggest gripes with the bladlock; that of being too squishy, without having to waste invocations or feats.

I don't know why, but there must be some kind of trope that "half-thing" is stronger than "thing"...

Humans are clearly the most superior race. (Heck what with bonus feat it pretty much is the universal best race in the game... really wish they just never included that variant...)

To the other guy @Waazraath .

Yuan-ti and Bugbear are both OP. Enough to almost consider not allowing at all.

Tabaxi are an old old race originating from the first Fiend folio. Pretty awesome abilities, only downside is the common social stigma against "animal people" races.

Kenku: Since a few years ago they received a large surge in popularity, and that's why they chose them.

Triton: Have pretty much always been around. It's not so much that they are obscure as it is that Aquatic campaigns are obscure.

Orc: Everyone thinks "Why?"

Hobgoblin: While everyone thinks the same as you, personally I love it cause Wizard is probably my favourite class anyway (Since cantrips mean it players more like a 3.5 warlock then the warlock does lol). Really they should just get rid of the martial training for some other benifit to make it more warrior fitting.

Much like the races a number of the monsters are old monsters that just havn't surfaced a lot.

DragonSorcererX
2016-12-05, 01:29 PM
Humans are clearly the most superior race. (Heck what with bonus feat it pretty much is the universal best race in the game... really wish they just never included that variant...)

Unless you Homebrew that VHuman doesn't exist and everyone gains a Feat at level 1, then Humans become the most boring race, because you can be a "Mutant" (Genasi, Aasimar, Tiefling...) (Mutant as in X-Men) and still be considered Human for purposes of culture and roleplaying, except that you are a bit shiny and colorful (also Darkvision)...

I hope we get a "Shadowfell People Race" that gets Cha bonus for Shadow Sorcerer to build Dark Darkest Edgelords... (Yes, I know about Zendikar Vampires, not exactly D&D though...)

Princess
2016-12-07, 02:16 PM
Any good grappling build for the Scourge Aasimar would be scary dangerous! A Bard with the Bull's Strength spell, Expertise in Athletics, and the Grappler feat, for example.

Paladin/Bard grappler. Wrestling Announcer Voice Booms in the distance: "You are sooooooo gonna feel some wraaaathhhh"

Then you realize it's just that guy and he can sing/talk like that by himself. And the grappling and smiting begin.

- fallen aasimar: forced fluff = meh. Great attributes for paladin, melee warlock, melee bard, or melee sorcerer. Cool.

This is exactly why D&D is a collaborative process, and reasonable DMs don't care what WotC official fluff is if it is more annoying than useful to the campaign. Or, you know, make an improved intimidate check on the DM.

Waazraath
2016-12-07, 04:34 PM
To the other guy @Waazraath .

Pray, how? Please explain, because really don't see it.

The Bugbear:
-attributes: mostly interesting for barbarians. Dex classes don't need the str, other str classes use heavy armor and don't need dex
-darkvision: nice
-long-limbed: not interesting, with 5e attack of opportunity rules, very situational.
-powerful build: does hardly anything
-sneaky: 1 fixed skill, ok(ish)
-surprise attack: a flat damage bonus, max 1/combat. Situational, good at the lower levels, more meh later (unless coupled with rogue assassin for 4d6 instead of 2d6)

Best I can see are barbarian builds, or rogue assassin. But I can't see the bb outperform other good races, like half orc for bbn, even there.

Yuan-ti:
-attributes: bad; no (sub)class needs both cha and int.
-darkvision: nice
-innate spellcasting: suggestion 1/day is nice, the rest highly situational
-magic resistance: great
-poison immunity: nice

Can make nice casters (no gish though with these attributes). But full casters already have other defenses against spells (counterspell, absorb elements, etc.), and for example a sorcerer that is half elf can have a +1 higher con, a +1 higher dex, and 2 extra skills. Really wouldn't call the yuan-ti overpowered compared to that.

Tabaxi are an old old race originating from the first Fiend folio. Pretty awesome abilities, only downside is the common social stigma against "animal people" races.

What edition is that? I really never noticed them, and played a lot of 3.X, and a little bit of the older editions. Never noticed them. But maybe because I don't like the animal people myself.

Kenku: Since a few years ago they received a large surge in popularity, and that's why they chose them.

Ah, ok. Too bad, but makes sense in that case.

Triton: Have pretty much always been around. It's not so much that they are obscure as it is that Aquatic campaigns are obscure.

Have they? As a player race? Again, never noticed it, in lots of years of playing time.

Much like the races a number of the monsters are old monsters that just havn't surfaced a lot.

But there are so many races and monsters that DID surface a lot in the past decades! They have plenty of old monster books with less weird, niche and oddball, haven't they? Than why this selection, is what I wonder.

KorvinStarmast
2016-12-07, 04:41 PM
The fiend folio, all over again.

RickAllison
2016-12-07, 05:31 PM
I have been toying with a Bugbear grappling Monk. It could work with other classes and instead Tavern Brawler (with bonus action grappling), the theory is the same. Since grappling is a special melee attack and bugbears get a reach boost to all melee attacks, a bugbear can grapple and hold enemies at a distance where those with only 5' reach cannot touch the bugbear. Still trying to figure all the details.

Corsair14
2016-12-08, 09:02 AM
General observations on this. I think the book while nice and well written kind of fell flat. There are plenty of races that needed working out as player races before some of the obscure ones like the Triton and tabaxi. I do not play races nor put them into games based on their attribute bonuses. Not a power gamer or min maxer always looking for advantage so stuff like the weird Yaun-ti bonuses matters little to me. Including them was actually one of the few weird races I liked them including. I am a big fan of weird races just a lot of these seem out there. I would have preferred more common creatures become races, some of the minor fey, minor demons like mephits, genie-kin and other similar critters.

One of the huge issues I see is many of these either do not exist in the world I DM(tabaxi) or would cause too big an issue in many of the venues PCs go to. Goblins, kobolds, and bugbears are nice and all, but try bringing one into a civilized setting and see how far that gets you. In the primary city my campaign works out of currently, any of those would be killed on sight by the dwarf and human guards. They would not be very welcome in the nearby forest either by the wild elves and fae and being seen by the farming communities that support the city would mean a large force of guards or lynch mob would be mobilized to stop the "invasion". Not really sure outside of a bad guy creature campaign where the goblinoid races would be able to make it by.

As to the light thing, it is a major disadvantage for players not to have dark vision. I have been nice in my campaign so far having the dungeons they have been in lit by some means. As they grow stronger, I plan on ending much of that. Carrying a torch not only means one is now a target by anyone looking in, but also means they aren't carrying a sword or shield in their hand. I have done a lightsaber battle in a tournament (SCA) with a chem light taped to my weapon, its actually flipping hard to fight that way, the bright light fighting in the dark screws with your night vision badly.

Maxilian
2016-12-08, 09:08 AM
One of the huge issues I see is many of these either do not exist in the world I DM(tabaxi) or would cause too big an issue in many of the venues PCs go to. Goblins, kobolds, and bugbears are nice and all, but try bringing one into a civilized setting and see how far that gets you. In the primary city my campaign works out of currently, any of those would be killed on sight by the dwarf and human guards. They would not be very welcome in the nearby forest either by the wild elves and fae and being seen by the farming communities that support the city would mean a large force of guards or lynch mob would be mobilized to stop the "invasion". Not really sure outside of a bad guy creature campaign where the goblinoid races would be able to make it by.

I think that the fact that they are creature that wouldn't be accepted by many towns and cities, and all those things, is part of its charm

Addaran
2016-12-08, 10:03 AM
I have been toying with a Bugbear grappling Monk. It could work with other classes and instead Tavern Brawler (with bonus action grappling), the theory is the same. Since grappling is a special melee attack and bugbears get a reach boost to all melee attacks, a bugbear can grapple and hold enemies at a distance where those with only 5' reach cannot touch the bugbear. Still trying to figure all the details.

I checked my friend's book but i don't have it presently. Does the extra reach last only for your turn? When it ends, the enemy would be out of your reach, which would break the grapple.

Also, even if someone really does have amazing reach (huge octopus with tentacles), if it's grappling something, i'd always rule that it's possible to hit it. It's in contact with you after all, just target the limb that's grappling you.

RickAllison
2016-12-08, 10:43 AM
I checked my friend's book but i don't have it presently. Does the extra reach last only for your turn? When it ends, the enemy would be out of your reach, which would break the grapple.

Also, even if someone really does have amazing reach (huge octopus with tentacles), if it's grappling something, i'd always rule that it's possible to hit it. It's in contact with you after all, just target the limb that's grappling you.

Ah, true. Back to the drawing board...

MaxWilson
2016-12-08, 11:32 AM

Yes. Note that Tyrannosaurs have a 10' bite attack with grapple included. No sane player would want the DM to rule that the T-Rex which is munching him to death is also outside of his reach.

I'd just say that when it grapples you, it also pulls you adjacent to it. That keeps stuff like lances and ranged weapons working as expected (i.e. at disadvantage for being too close).

Maxilian
2016-12-08, 03:18 PM

I wouldn't say OP, the Bugbear are really good (the Surprise round damage is situational, so its not that big of a boost, the powerfull build and the Long-limbed is a great buff -still we got Vuham) and IMHO Bugbear are still better than the Yuan-Ti, they have an improved Magic Resistance from the Gnome but lost almost everything else

More than "Animal people" is more a "Cat people" (that bother people more than anything else) but also that makes it more popular (to others)

I like Ravens, and everything, but not really a fan of them (I guess its mostly cause i don't like that much the Mimicry restriction to talking)

I really like them, even for a non-Aquatic campaign (mostly because they will feel so alien to the place -Literally a fish out of the water, so it could be interesting-)

Orc: Everyone thinks "Why?"

It kind of made me sad, cause i really want to play an Orc (i will in the end, the ability to dash to your enemy is useful for a Barb that wants to make sure they are in range of an enemy to hit so they won't lose Rage, but still Half-orc is better) -The -2 INT is a limitation that bothers me, but its also a RP tool to some point-

Hobgoblin: While everyone thinks the same as you, personally I love it cause Wizard is probably my favourite class anyway (Since cantrips mean it players more like a 3.5 warlock then the warlock does lol). Really they should just get rid of the martial training for some other benifit to make it more warrior fitting.

I do like them cause, hey another option for an INT race (and its not the normal small or INT looking race but a more bestial one)

Mandragola
2016-12-08, 04:07 PM
The thing where hobgoblins get armour and shield proficiencies is a bit odd actually, particularly since they get int and con.

The issue is that for nearly everyone else, using a shield is a trade-off. This is especially true for casters who are proficient with them. Equipping a shield, or getting rid of it, takes an action - and a pretty awful one in combat that has no other effect. Anyone who uses weapons and casts spells therefore suffers a bit if they use a shield, because they are constantly dropping weapons to cast spells.

But wizards don't care, because they hardly use weapons anyway. Shield goes in one hand, wand goes in the other, and they never have to change. The shield is just a straight up +2 AC to a hobgoblin, not to mention the potential advantages of a magical shield, and they don't have to do anything at all to get it.

Having said all that, I honestly don't think hobgoblins are broken. I think it's odd that they are fantastic wizards and not much use as anything else, but that's no big deal. I guess if they had strength instead of con then I'd be happier. They'd have stats that made sense as a disciplined, tactical fighter, which is what they are supposed to be.

As a wider issue, I think it's a shame that intelligence matters so little for player races. It means there's hardly any point playing an intelligent race if you're not a wizard, and it seriously devalues tieflings and yuant-ti because no class wants their stats.

Ravinsild
2016-12-08, 04:12 PM
The thing where hobgoblins get armour and shield proficiencies is a bit odd actually, particularly since they get int and con.

The issue is that for nearly everyone else, using a shield is a trade-off. This is especially true for casters who are proficient with them. Equipping a shield, or getting rid of it, takes an action - and a pretty awful one in combat that has no other effect. Anyone who uses weapons and casts spells therefore suffers a bit if they use a shield, because they are constantly dropping weapons to cast spells.

But wizards don't care, because they hardly use weapons anyway. Shield goes in one hand, wand goes in the other, and they never have to change. The shield is just a straight up +2 AC to a hobgoblin, not to mention the potential advantages of a magical shield, and they don't have to do anything at all to get it.

Having said all that, I honestly don't think hobgoblins are broken. I think it's odd that they are fantastic wizards and not much use as anything else, but that's no big deal. I guess if they had strength instead of con then I'd be happier. They'd have stats that made sense as a disciplined, tactical fighter, which is what they are supposed to be.

As a wider issue, I think it's a shame that intelligence matters so little for player races. It means there's hardly any point playing an intelligent race if you're not a wizard, and it seriously devalues tieflings and yuant-ti because no class wants their stats.

Don't Eldritch Knight and Arcane Tricksters use Intelligence for their spell casting modifier? The proficiencies may be redundant with weapons and all that but...it makes a tougher fighter/rogue and a slightly better EK/AT? maybe? Nah?

killem2
2016-12-08, 05:37 PM

Always available flying with Aarokocra seems very sexy.

ShikomeKidoMi
2016-12-09, 06:16 AM

I agree that it's too bad Intelligence doesn't have more uses, but I'm pretty sure Yuan-Ti have the stats they do instead of, say, +Dex and +Cha because it devalues them. The idea is that some of their abilities (suggestion, magic resistance) are strong enough that the designer's thought they need to be devalued a little.

I guess I'm saying 'It's not a bug, it's a feature.'

Sariel Vailo
2016-12-15, 08:02 PM
what about the new aasimar this one is perfect for clerics and paladins in any of the subraces i get extra healing capabilities.

ShikomeKidoMi
2016-12-16, 05:50 AM
While you've clearly put a lot of thought into this, I can't find any evidence anywhere that Hobgoblins get Shield proficiency. Where are you getting that?

Volo's just says "Light armor and two martial weapons."

Spacehamster
2016-12-16, 06:04 AM

Variant human is powerful in the beginning but garbage compared to other races after 2nd ASI or so.

Mandragola
2016-12-16, 11:04 AM
While you've clearly put a lot of thought into this, I can't find any evidence anywhere that Hobgoblins get Shield proficiency. Where are you getting that?

Volo's just says "Light armor and two martial weapons."

You're right, and that's weird. I could have sworn...

Ok well in that case bugbears are fine. It doesn't really cause any problems if a wizard gets light armour proficiency. They have good stats for a wizard, but not more so than gnomes or vumans.

Ravinsild
2016-12-16, 11:17 AM
I'm still trying to figure out what combination of Eldritch Knight + Actual Wizard levels with a Hobgoblin would make for a "Death Knight" in the sense of WoW Unholy Dk raising dead and being a strong melee combatant. Eldritch Knight + Necromancer School Wizard Hobgoblin seems like it might be a dope build with good synergy but I might be wrong.

Anyone tried this or thought about it?

Flashy
2016-12-16, 11:25 AM
I'm still trying to figure out what combination of Eldritch Knight + Actual Wizard levels with a Hobgoblin would make for a "Death Knight" in the sense of WoW Unholy Dk raising dead and being a strong melee combatant. Eldritch Knight + Necromancer School Wizard Hobgoblin seems like it might be a dope build with good synergy but I might be wrong.

I think the problem with it is it takes a loooong time to get off the ground. In order to have the two main features (extra attack and raising the dead) you've got to wait until 11th level at the minimum.

Ravinsild
2016-12-16, 11:33 AM
I think the problem with it is it takes a loooong time to get off the ground. In order to have the two main features (extra attack and raising the dead) you've got to wait until 11th level at the minimum.

Yeah I've found it's difficult for me to manage concepts for characters that come online quickly and reasonably. While in general the build would probably be cool as a level 20 character it might be a slog getting there in reality :(

I have a lot of build ideas with this problem.

Coyote81
2016-12-16, 11:40 AM

Don't forge the UA Minotaur (Still waiting official release) They are the only race that can run shield/weapon/free hand for casting without need some feat. They make excellent gish.

Ravinsild
2016-12-16, 11:45 AM
Don't forge the UA Minotaur (Still waiting official release) They are the only race that can run shield/weapon/free hand for casting without need some feat. They make excellent gish.

Are you using their horns as a primary weapon, a shield in a hand and then having just one hand loose? I love that Minotaur Race and I'm super butthurt it didn't make it into SCAG even though apparently a lot of the stuff in that article did.

Gish Minotaur would be the coolest.

SharkForce
2016-12-16, 07:04 PM
You're right, and that's weird. I could have sworn...

Ok well in that case bugbears are fine. It doesn't really cause any problems if a wizard gets light armour proficiency. They have good stats for a wizard, but not more so than gnomes or vumans.

it does make a difference. one feat for medium + shield is a lot lower of an investment than two feats, imo, and medium + shield is pretty nice for a wizard (you no longer need to invest in dex beyond 14 for AC, and you can even start off at 13 because medium armour proficiency comes with the option of taking dex).

Mandragola
2016-12-16, 07:52 PM
Yeah true. So it gives you a nice option if you want to take it. A vuman could do the same I suppose, but on the whole people don't seem to. Armour is certainly a nice thing to have, but wizards tend to prioritise their int and then go for feats in my experience.

Regulas
2016-12-16, 10:59 PM
Don't Hobgoblins only get Light armour and 2 martial weapons? And not Shields...?

Petrocorus
2016-12-17, 02:58 PM
I agree about the Hobgoblin. My first thought when i read it was that the abilities score and the martial training were perfect for a Wizard, much more than for any martial class. They are probably one of the best race for wizard along with high elf and gnomes, probably better than high elf if these had not the possibility to go Bladesinger.

I also think the Tabaxi is a very good race for spellcasters. Their feline agility and climbing speed is very helpful to avoid getting in reach of opponents. I wonder if their climbing speed allows them to walk on ceilings? Their skill proficiencies are almost as good as having two free skill proficiencies like the half-elf, good for almost any build, except the heavy frontliner.
This also make them a very good race for scouts.

I still find it baffling that the only racial features Orcs and Half-Orcs have in common are Darkvision (which hardly counts) and Menacing. ...

That was my first thought when i read it too. Orcs and half-orcs don't share their most defining racial abilities, WTF! I would however probably give the Brutal Critical to the orc too, since it looks more related to the brute nature of the orc than to a greater skill.

I personally disallow races with flying speed. I think that this is quite op in a edition in which flying has been quite limited and is definitely not cheap.

Am i the only one to think that the Firbolg's Hidden step is potentially powerful in some situations? It's an out of fight free card, but also a surprise free card.

I wonder if the Lizardfolk's natural armor can be combined with the Barbarian's or Monk's unarmored defence. I know that by RAW, it shouldn't but i kinda feel that could logically. That would probably be op, though.

Spacehamster
2016-12-17, 03:59 PM

Can get the feel of the build at level 6 already with the polearm master feat giving you two attacks per turn even if one of them is weak. Start fighter 1, take necro up to 6, then go for eldritch knight for the real 2nd attack. :)

Flashy
2016-12-17, 04:12 PM
Can get the feel of the build at level 6 already with the polearm master feat giving you two attacks per turn even if one of them is weak. Start fighter 1, take necro up to 6, then go for eldritch knight for the real 2nd attack. :)

Fair, though you wouldn't be able to order your undead around and make 2 attacks in the same turn because of bonus action restrictions. Still a nice work around though!

Spacehamster
2016-12-17, 04:17 PM
Fair, though you wouldn't be able to order your undead around and make 2 attacks in the same turn because of bonus action restrictions. Still a nice work around though!

Think if I remember reading the spell description right that after you use a bonus action to order them to attack the enemies they will
keep following that command until the enemy is destroyed or until given another order so you only loose 1 bonus action. :)

Mandragola
2016-12-17, 07:24 PM
I think an oathbreaker paladin is the closest thing to a deathknight in dnd. But you'll never get a perfect match, because the rules writers aren't trying to make one.

Steampunkette
2016-12-17, 09:20 PM
Goblin Warlock with Pact of the Blade.

Ridiculous mobility makes up for the Warlock's relative squishiness, and a con bonus to boot.

Steel Mirror
2016-12-17, 09:23 PM
That was my first thought when i read it too. Orcs and half-orcs don't share their most defining racial abilities, WTF! I would however probably give the Brutal Critical to the orc too, since it looks more related to the brute nature of the orc than to a greater skill.
Hybrid vigor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterosis)!

Or at least, that's how we rationalize it in my group. I'm also a huge fan of Eberron, and making half-orcs more than just halfway between orcs and humans makes a lot of sense in the setting, where some half-orcs consider themselves a true-breeding race of their own.

Shimi43
2016-12-18, 09:39 PM
I liked the races in general. I was a little disappointed with the monster races as they seemed as an afterthought and aren't nearly as well done.

ShikomeKidoMi
2016-12-19, 07:19 AM
I liked the races in general. I was a little disappointed with the monster races as they seemed as an afterthought and aren't nearly as well done.

I don't know about an afterthought, most of them get entire chapters dedicated to them in other parts of the book, so it's not like they need the same level of detailed description in the playable race chapter.

Hawkstar
2016-12-21, 01:58 PM
I just found this thread!

Tabaxi have been a feature of the forgotten realms since AD&D, but didn't make the cut to 3e. They're not "Generic Cat People" (Though they share mechanics with 3.5's Catfolk). They're "Tribal Jungle Predators" (Though they got stuck with a weird CHA bonus because cats are cute?)

As far as Orcs not sharing racial traits with half-orcs or humans... I actually like that. Orcs aren't relentless, because they lack human tenacity. Humans don't have it because they lack orcish durability and strength. Brutal Critical is a fusion of Orcish strength and human opportunism.

As a wider issue, I think it's a shame that intelligence matters so little for player races. It means there's hardly any point playing an intelligent race if you're not a wizard, and it seriously devalues tieflings and yuant-ti because no class wants their stats.Dang, Too bad they don't have the shield proficiency, because that would be badass in making them comparable to Dwarves in their militant uniformity. Except that mind of theirs makes them seem like viable candidates for the first to industrialize (If I ever get around to running a game, the primary weapons used by Hobgoblins will be Polearms and Rifles).

As far as CON instead of STR - The INT makes sense for Hobgoblins because they're intelligent, tactically-minded soldiers (A shame INT doesn't actually provide much benefit in-game). The CON, however, works much better than STR or DEX because it leaves them open - Constitution is a universally useful stat for any character, and you can choose to make any stat your primary, though it won't have racial support (relying more on tactical cleverness to maximize your offensive ability instead of raw power). Also - Hobgoblins have traditionally been a strong CON race (At least in 3.5, where they were unfairly saddled with a +1 LA for their +2 Con bonus, when they'd otherwise have been a great counterpart to humans)

Zene
2016-12-22, 10:40 AM

Tough to do with EK and wizard; you could get there in a number of ways, but they all require a lot of levels.

But, you can totally do it with a straight cleric build. Take any domain that gives heavy armor and martial weapons proficiency --War domain works flavor-wise IMO. You get access to Animate Dead at L5. Magic Initiate feat at 4 to pick up booming blade or greenflame blade for that arcane feel and level-scaling damage; plus divine strike scales up your weapon damage at L8 and L14. You can be a pretty sick melee combatant, with an ever-growing undead army at your side.

Yeah, if you really want to go Hobgoblin, the int boost isn't ideal for this build. But on the plus side, the bonus martial weapon proficiencies mean you have a wider selection of cleric domains to choose from --you just need one that gives you heavy armor. Or if you're ok with medium armor, you could even go with the Arcana Cleric to still have that arcane feel, and pick up the melee cantrips mentioned above without needing to spend a feat.

Or go with Nature cleric and pick up Shillelagh so you just need to boost Wisdom (no longer needing strength for an effective melee build). It would limit you to a staff, club or greatclub as your weapon, which is kind of against the DK feel; but the Nature cleric's divine strike is fantastic (choose your element) and totally fits the DK feel.

Zene
2016-12-22, 11:18 AM
Or... Cleric 1 or Fighter 1 for heavy armor, then Lore bard to 6 to cherry-pick Animate Dead and Find Steed (warhorse type, fiend flavor). That could be fun.

Ravinsild
2016-12-22, 11:39 AM
Tough to do with EK and wizard; you could get there in a number of ways, but they all require a lot of levels.

But, you can totally do it with a straight cleric build. Take any domain that gives heavy armor and martial weapons proficiency --War domain works flavor-wise IMO. You get access to Animate Dead at L5. Magic Initiate feat at 4 to pick up booming blade or greenflame blade for that arcane feel and level-scaling damage; plus divine strike scales up your weapon damage at L8 and L14. You can be a pretty sick melee combatant, with an ever-growing undead army at your side.

Yeah, if you really want to go Hobgoblin, the int boost isn't ideal for this build. But on the plus side, the bonus martial weapon proficiencies mean you have a wider selection of cleric domains to choose from --you just need one that gives you heavy armor. Or if you're ok with medium armor, you could even go with the Arcana Cleric to still have that arcane feel, and pick up the melee cantrips mentioned above without needing to spend a feat.

Or go with Nature cleric and pick up Shillelagh so you just need to boost Wisdom (no longer needing strength for an effective melee build). It would limit you to a staff, club or greatclub as your weapon, which is kind of against the DK feel; but the Nature cleric's divine strike is fantastic (choose your element) and totally fits the DK feel.

Oh I specifically chose Wizard and EK because it seemed the 1 class/subclass that Hobgoblin directly Benefitted with their bonus to Int. It felt sort of tailor made for that combination or single class of either/or. Making them a Necromancer was just my idea but it could be anything. Blaster Wizard or Support Guy supporting his troops as a commander or whatever. I just think Necromancy is cool and it seemed like a good die at tertiary glance.

Basically my question was less "Would this build really work?" and more "This is like the 1 niche a Hobgoblin was made for right?"

Petrocorus
2016-12-23, 05:30 PM
Do you thin that allowing a player to take shield proficiency with one of the hobgoblins martial weapon proficiency would be problematic?

Little boy
2016-12-23, 06:35 PM
The only thing op about the races is That They often feel they can optimize one way better. The big bear builds the best assassin/murder, the yuan ti is only of the best liar/social monkey and so on, but this comes at a cost. Every race comes with either a stigma or you stick out like a sore thumb. You will never be able to hide from preconcived notions. As for the rest of the book, it is amazing. You don't but these books for monsters. You get them fluff , lore, and references in how to make or modify these creatures yourself. The book is full of all of that. I love my volo's and everyone else in my group does too.we are actually running a full monster game right now because of it

SharkForce
2016-12-24, 02:11 AM
Do you thin that allowing a player to take shield proficiency with one of the hobgoblins martial weapon proficiency would be problematic?

depends what you mean.

i don't think there's much room to argue that it isn't a stronger option for basically anyone who isn't planning on using a two-handed weapon 100% of the time. the great majority of the time, you don't really need 20 different martial weapon proficiencies, or even really 3 of them. you need probably one ranged, one melee, maybe a backup option in case for some reason your default option doesn't work (but even then you could probably do just fine with a simple backup weapon).

will it break the game? probably not... most of the time. depends mostly on how much the character is going to be able to stack AC bonuses, really. the higher your AC goes, the more game-breaking it becomes... a shield taking you from 18 to 20 AC is good, but unlikely to be a huge problem. a shield bringing you from a reliable 25 to a reliable 27 AC begins to warp things. if it's taking you from 29 to 31, it's going to create some pretty substantial problems. if that shield proficiency is the difference between being able to use a +3 shield and not being able to use a +3 shield, the thresholds drop considerably.

personally, i would be disinclined to allow it most of the time. you're gonna need to come up with a pretty solid argument for why your character should know how to use a shield, but somehow didn't end up being proficient. i mean, when you think about it, just about any person you'd expect to have even decent combat training either is proficient in a shield, or has a strong reason to not be able to use a shield.

now, i would make an exception for, say, blade pact warlocks... sort of. except that i'd just give blade pact warlocks medium armour and shield proficiency in the first place, regardless of what race they happen to be, because in my opinion that goes a fair ways towards making them feel like they should feel in the first place.

apart from that, i guess i could maybe imagine a rogue with a very specific character concept... but even then, i'd be hard pressed to come up with a concept where i think they should have shield proficiency, but a couple of fighter (or ranger or barbarian) levels wouldn't be a more appropriate way to wind up with shield proficiency and reflect their character concept more accurately.

Potato_Priest
2016-12-24, 04:08 AM

Ever played a paladin under a vengeful DM? Exactly the same.

Petrocorus
2016-12-24, 08:10 AM
depends what you mean.

i don't think there's much room to argue that it isn't ..... and reflect their character concept more accurately.

I was thinking to the potential player who would want to play a hobgoblin Wizard or Lore Bard, or Rogue and would want to improve his AC without multiclassing. For a hobgoblin player going into Wizard, it make more sense to want to be proficient with shield than with a ranged weapon.

SharkForce
2016-12-24, 12:05 PM
I was thinking to the potential player who would want to play a hobgoblin Wizard or Lore Bard, or Rogue and would want to improve his AC without multiclassing. For a hobgoblin player going into Wizard, it make more sense to want to be proficient with shield than with a ranged weapon.

i don't consider "i want more AC" or "i want to be proficient with shields" to be a character concept, personally.

i can certainly understand wanting those things mechanically. i just don't see how it would be particularly necessary for a concept where multiclassing wouldn't fit the concept as well or better.

after further consideration, what i might do is allow it if a game was starting at level 1, and someone wanted to play a multiclass character that would get shield proficiency by level 2, but they're starting from the non-proficient class... so, for example, if they're making a rogue/fighter, and starting with a rogue level, and plan on taking fighter at 2, i'd just let them start off with shield proficiency.

M Placeholder
2016-12-25, 12:57 PM
So why is the Goliath in this book, with no variant options? Wasn't it in Elemental Evil with almost exactly the same lore? If they wanted another playable giant race alongside the Firbolg (which is pretty neat), why not the Half Giant (the non Dark Sun one - not sure if a 12 foot giant that swaps alignments every day is that well suited to D&D 5e), Half Ogre or Voadkyn? Just seems like a waste of ink to include it in the guide when its already been given away for free.

Personally, I would have loved to see these guys here
http://m1.paperblog.com/i/180/1805634/thri-kreen-athas-L-Qf7Yym.jpeg
Perhaps a Xixchil subrace (with medicine a proficiency :smallwink:) with a number of variant opitions and some of the lore from Thri-Kreen of Athas (that was a great book).

Flashy
2016-12-25, 01:00 PM

The question to ask yourself is "Am I okay with a Wizard who has AC 17 before Shield?" If you're fine with it, then sure. If you're not, don't allow it.

Petrocorus
2016-12-25, 03:12 PM
The question to ask yourself is "Am I okay with a Wizard who has AC 17 before Shield?" If you're fine with it, then sure. If you're not, don't allow it.

A Hobgoblin Wizard with a AC of 17 means he would have invested a 20 in Dex, no?

Flashy
2016-12-25, 03:15 PM
A Hobgoblin Wizard with a AC of 17 means he would have invested a 20 in Dex, no?

My assumption was 14 Dex and Mage Armor.

Petrocorus
2016-12-25, 03:33 PM
My assumption was 14 Dex and Mage Armor.

That would be an AC of 15. My own assumption about the Hobgoblins Wizard is a studded leather armor and a Dex of 14, which give an AC of 14.

Flashy
2016-12-25, 04:27 PM
That would be an AC of 15. My own assumption about the Hobgoblins Wizard is a studded leather armor and a Dex of 14, which give an AC of 14.

Oh, sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant a flat AC of 17 before casting the SPELL Shield. 13 from Mage Armor, 2 from Dex, 2 from the physical shield.

My point was that if you allow a hobgoblin wizard to pick a shield instead of a martial weapon they can spike up to 22 AC for relatively little resource investment. It's not really gamebreaking, it's just a question of whether or not you want wizards to have the option of being that defensively powerful.

tkuremento
2016-12-27, 02:35 AM
I wonder if the Lizardfolk's natural armor can be combined with the Barbarian's or Monk's unarmored defence. I know that by RAW, it shouldn't but i kinda feel that could logically. That would probably be op, though.

Yea, I was at first going to say I'd allow changing the formula of either Monk or Barb to be 11 + Dex + Con/Wis instead of 10 but even that seems like it could change balance a bit and be OP. Of course you could use the 13 + Dex if with your Con/Wis weren't high enough to make Unarmored Defense higher.

Also just personally I like the idea of a grappler Lizardfolk who bites whilst grappling.

Krivelios
2016-12-27, 07:44 AM
I really liked the aasimar!

Ursus the Grim
2016-12-27, 02:32 PM
So why is the Goliath in this book, with no variant options? Wasn't it in Elemental Evil with almost exactly the same lore? If they wanted another playable giant race alongside the Firbolg (which is pretty neat), why not the Half Giant (the non Dark Sun one - not sure if a 12 foot giant that swaps alignments every day is that well suited to D&D 5e), Half Ogre or Voadkyn? Just seems like a waste of ink to include it in the guide when its already been given away for free.

One possibility?

Adventurer's League. Printing it in VgtM lets the player use other resources from Volo's as their PHB+1. That seems a little thin though, given that there aren't a ton of player resources in Volo's.

More likely?

They felt that another giant playable race didn't have a place in 5e and wanted to have the Goliath in a printed, published book.

tkuremento
2016-12-27, 03:13 PM
I really liked the aasimar!

I can't help but think ASMR whenever I see the mention of Aasimar :|

poolio
2017-01-18, 11:40 AM
I like Ravens, and everything, but not really a fan of them (I guess its mostly cause i don't like that much the Mimicry restriction to talking)

That's funny cause i had an idea for a kenku paladin who because he could only mimic sounds, would speak in very cleche heroic ways, such as "be gone evil!" Or "taste my steal fiend!" In a bold voice that he learned from watching puppet shows for the towns kids in the square :smalltongue:

JobsforFun
2017-01-20, 10:25 AM
That's funny cause i had an idea for a kenku paladin who because he could only mimic sounds, would speak in very cleche heroic ways, such as "be gone evil!" Or "taste my steal fiend!" In a bold voice that he learned from watching puppet shows for the towns kids in the square :smalltongue:

I am loving the Lizard Folk Race, the quirks are so much fun to play out. Played a druid who enjoys eating thigns while they're still moving, I have basiclly lived off live chickens and rabits. Then starting a Lizard Folk Cleric who likes taking peoples fingers and eating them because they're *portable*

Joe the Rat
2017-01-20, 10:43 AM
I am loving the Lizard Folk Race, the quirks are so much fun to play out. Played a druid who enjoys eating thigns while they're still moving, I have basiclly lived off live chickens and rabits. Then starting a Lizard Folk Cleric who likes taking peoples fingers and eating them because they're *portable*
"Is this not what you mean by finger food? You softfolk are very confusing." <munch munch>

Tiwanoz
2017-01-20, 10:48 AM

Would a Kenku woth the Linguist feat be able to talk like any other humanoid?

gfishfunk
2017-01-20, 11:37 AM
Would a Kenku woth the Linguist feat be able to talk like any other humanoid?

Just able to understand and write, is my guess.