PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Character idea for an exisiting party?

CaPtMalHammer
2016-11-07, 11:49 AM
Am joining a game after a character of mine died and wanted to see what people thought would be a good fit for the existing party?

Party:

1 Cleric of Pelor-Healer
1 Cleric of Flannagryn- Traveler
1 Hex Blade
1 Ranger-Archer

What would be a good class to add to this group?

CaPtMalHammer
2016-11-07, 12:59 PM
Guess I should clarify. Not seeing full builds:) just some class ideas for synergy sake!:)

DarkSoul
2016-11-07, 01:10 PM
Bard, rogue, or wizard. Face, skills and traps, and BFC respectively.

Zzachary37
2016-11-07, 01:28 PM
A skillmoneky like rogue or Bard could do well, or maybe an arcane caster like Wizard or Sorcerer. A melee character like Barbarian or a Tome of Battle character would have plenty of room to shine as well. Mostly depends on what kinda playstyle you prefer :)

Karl Aegis
2016-11-07, 02:17 PM
Ninja/Fighter multiclass character.

Thurbane
2016-11-07, 10:08 PM
Beguiler could slot in here quite well (assuming 3.5). Skillmonkey + casting.

Extra Anchovies
2016-11-07, 10:16 PM
Where's the party? What are they doing there?

LordOfCain
2016-11-08, 08:14 AM
Swordsage could be a skill monkey and decent melee combatant.

sleepyphoenixx
2016-11-08, 09:17 AM
Rogue/Wizard/Unseen Seer, Beguiler or a Bard/Sublime Chord.
If you don't care about skills i'd suggest a Wizard/War Weaver

Every group should have an arcanist, and yours is lacking one.
The choice between the first two and the bard depends on your ranger - does he have the trapfinding ACF and skills? If no i'd take the first two over the bard.

Otherwise the choice is up to taste.
The R/W/US gets spells at the same rate as the beguiler if you enter with Rogue 1/Wiz 4 (though you'll probably need Able Learner) and has a better spell list, but it's a lot more bookkeeping.
The Beguiler gets a higher HD, spontaneous casting and some free feats and extra tricks, but his spell list is far more limited.
The Bard is a bit of a mix between the two, but with music for extra benefit. It takes a while to really grow into the arcane caster role but on the other hand your group will love you.
The War Weaver is pretty much the ultimate in group buffing. It loses a single level of caster progression but it's worth it, and it still fills the arcanist role at least as well as the above options would.

CaPtMalHammer
2016-11-08, 09:49 AM
Cool, Thanks All, I think im going to go with a rouge/bard caster build:) Again thank you for your help.

stanprollyright
2016-11-08, 04:28 PM
Cool, Thanks All, I think im going to go with a rouge/bard caster build:) Again thank you for your help.

You really don't need both. Straight Bard will do just fine. Maybe 1 level of Rogue for 2 extra skills and a sneak attack die at 1st, but I wouldn't go any further.

John Longarrow
2016-11-09, 10:20 PM
Whisper Gnome Beguiler dipping Mindbender at 6th for telepathy. This lets your advanced learning be Shadow Conjuration at 8th character level, thus letting you get into Shadowcraft mage.

You get to be a major caster, skill monkey, and trap finder all rolled up in to one.