PDA

View Full Version : Conflicting/stacking feats

Alleine
2007-07-12, 10:36 PM
I'm currently building a strength-based monk for grappling and and throwing, but because of the race's level adjustment (stone giant, +4) I won't be able to deal lethal damage while grappling until I can gain a monk level. So I thought to use the feats I'll get from levels in giant to help, specifically getting improved unarmed strike.

Then I realized that the monk gains improved unarmed strike as a bonus feat without rules for a character who already has the feat. There are a few other feats I'd like to take that put me in a similar situation, but if I have something to base them on I'm certain I can take it from there.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Ulzgoroth
2007-07-12, 10:43 PM
Standard is that being granted a feat you already have does nothing.

Taking improved unarmed strike and subsequently leveling into monk is thus a bit wasteful.

Do you actually need to deal lethal damage while grappling? I'd be more worried about being able to get into a grapple (since without improved grapple you can be fended off) than the ability to make someone bleed while in it. Unconcious from lethal or non-lethal, it's not like you'll be giving the enemy a chance to wake up.

Yechezkiel
2007-07-12, 10:52 PM
Some DMs refund feats that are replaced by a class level/ability (ex. Swashbuckler 1 granting Weapon Finesse, Ranger 2 granting Two-Weapon Fighting). Generous is the DM that does though.

NullAshton
2007-07-12, 10:54 PM
You should be able to deal lethal damage at a -4 penalty.

Cobra
2007-07-12, 11:04 PM
Just use the retraining rules in the phb 2 to change your giqant feat once you get monk 1.

Alleine
2007-07-12, 11:09 PM
Just use the retraining rules in the phb 2 to change your giqant feat once you get monk 1.

Oh, wow, hadn't thought of that. Maybe I should get some sleep before continuing to build it. Thanks Cobra!

Damionte
2007-07-13, 12:43 AM
Just wait till you get to monk.

de-trick
2007-07-13, 02:30 AM
use what ever weapon you can use wait for improved unarmed strike and start there