PDA

View Full Version : Working on some campaign rules. Input?

NerdHut
2016-11-07, 03:35 PM
I'm working on making a sheet of rules for my next campaign right now. I'm in the middle of one, and trying to keep in mind some things that are and aren't working. Right now we're doing E6, and I enjoy it, but my players would like slightly more power later in the game. E8 is a consideration, but I'm also thinking I'll just do standard level progession, but with slow progression.
I'll include my current draft of the rules in the spoiler section, and I'd like to know if there's anything you think should be addressed which I haven't included. Before you complain about the restrictive sources, keep in mind that I have two players who are min/max-ers who, unchecked, would pull every tiny obscure thing from ten different books and completely overshadow the other players without a second thought; and three newer players who struggle to even build a character (but are fun to play with).

Character Creation
Base Point Buy – 25
-LA 0 – 25
-LA 1 – 18
-LA 2 – 10
-LA 3 – 0

Some or all racial hit dice may be waived. For some creatures, RHD are just no fun. This will be done on a case-by-case basis, though, so check with me first.

Allowed Books:
-Player’s Handbook I
-Dungeon Master’s Guide I
-Monster Manual I
-Arms and Equipment Guide (3rd Ed)
-Magic Item Compendium

Each player may choose one book for their character’s creation and development. This does not unlock that book for other players. You may use the d20srd.org as a guide, but it does NOT count as a source book.

Character Background:
-Hometown
-Manner of childhood
-Reason for adventuring

At the beginning of the campaign each PC will be level 2, with standard wealth by level. Characters starting after the first session will still use standard wealth by level.

No Evil alignments. Unless you can make a truly compelling argument on why you should be allowed to be evil, this is a no-go.

Pick one Profession, Craft, or Perform skill. You begin play with 2 free ranks in it, even if it is a cross-class skill.

No Psionics. This is a matter of keeping things simple. None of us have much experience with the psionics rules, so I’m leaving them out. Weapon and Armor enhancements based on psionics (like Collision) may still be allowed if they are simple.

Everyone receives the effects of the Able Learner feat (cross-class skills cost one point per rank, except Speak Language; max ranks still apply). Rogues gain an additional 2 skill points per level to maintain their edge as skill monkeys.

If you want to play a paladin, you’re not allowed to be a **** about it. Think of The Dark Knight’s Commissioner Gordon or White Collar’s Peter Burke, not some ******* who hates anyone not adhering to strict moral codes.

Feats and Ability Score increases will be gained based on ECL, not HD.

New/Changed Feats
-Dodge grants a flat +1 dodge bonus to AC, not just against one enemy
-Far Shot and Precise Shot are combined into one feat: Incredible Aim
-Cleave gives the effect of Great Cleave
-Each of the feats which grant +2 to 2 skills instead grant +3
-Skill Focus grants +4 to the chosen skill
-Toughness grants one hit point per HD
-Improved Toughness requires Toughness and grants +1 to natural armor
-Two-Weapon Fighting tree is consolidated. Taking the feat "Two-Weapon Fighting" automatically grants these abilities:
--Reduce penalties to attack upon taking feat
--Off-hand Weapon grants +1 Shield AC
--May use off-hand attack on AoO (Requires 15 DEX)
--With +6 BAB, gain second off-hand attack (Requires 17 DEX)
--With +11 BAB, gain third off-hand attack (Requires 19 DEX)

Other
In general, the party will level up every three sessions. If you defeat a major boss, you might level up early. If you mess around too much, leveling up will take longer. Our sessions are fairly long, so if we use standard XP we'd probably end up leveling up just about every week, and I don't want that if there's any hope for a long campaign.

Material component rules are in effect. Take this into consideration when choosing spells.

Clerics are always proficient with their deity's favored weapon, but they must still take the War domain to gain Weapon Focus as a bonus feat.

Light, Medium, and Heavy loads will not be tracked, only maximum carry weight.

Inappropriately sized weapons can be wielded without the -2 penalty, so long as the effort required to wield it is not outside of physical limits. As such, a large creature may use a small greatsword as a light weapon, and a small creature my use a medium dagger as a one-handed weapon. But a medium creature may not wield a large halberd, even at a penalty. The Monkey Grip feat will allow you to wield weapons larger than normal, but will still incur the -2 penalty.

Critical hits do not require a confirmation roll. Ain’t nobody got time for that.

Natural Ones on attack rolls will be proceeded by a percentage roll. 1-25% means you add your attack bonus like a normal roll. 26-50% ends your attack progression. 51-75% means you drop your weapon. 76-99% means you hit yourself for half damage. 100% means you hit yourself for full damage.

(The text document I'll be using is formatted a little cleaner, so bear with me here)

Cirtona Pox
2016-11-07, 08:07 PM
A house rule we have come to love:

You remain conscious until your HP reach a negative equal to your Con modifier. If your modifier is +2 then you can go to -2 before swooning.
Your character's death occurs at a negative equal to your constitution score. A 15 constitution means you die at -15 hp.
The big one (because sorcerers, priests and mages are wildly unpopular in our group). Sorcerers have two free metamagic feats at level one and Wizards/Priests do not have to prepare spells ahead of time. This seems a bit OP but considering how ramroddingly powerful some of the other base and prestige classes are it actually balances out.

GilesTheCleric
2016-11-07, 08:19 PM
If you want to play a paladin, you’re not allowed to be a **** about it.

Clerics are always proficient with their deity's favored weapon, but they must still take the War domain to gain Weapon Focus as a bonus feat.

Natural Ones on attack rolls will be proceeded by a percentage roll. 1-25% means you add your attack bonus like a normal roll. 26-50% ends your attack progression. 51-75% means you drop your weapon. 76-99% means you hit yourself for half damage. 100% means you hit yourself for full damage.

My solution to paladins and other alignment-excessiveness is just to relax the interpretations of the alignment rules. When there's less pressure to conform, I find that it's easier to roleplay sticking to an alignment. If you do like stricter alignments, what about instead working with your player to devise a custom paladin code? That way, they can stick to what they are comfortable doing.

Note that there's very few deities available in the sources you've given (MM1 has a short list of monster deities in the errata), so if you're giving players access to a wider list of deities, know that some deities can give a whole lot of weapon proficiencies. Pantheons are the easiest pick, since those typically give at least five weapon picks, but other deities also give access to things like "all monk weapons" or "aquatic weapons" or other similarly vague and broad things.

I've seen a fair amount of pushback on the playground to critical fumbles; I agree with the general dislike of those kinds of rules. If they suit your table, more power to you.

Cirtona Pox
2016-11-07, 08:24 PM
Oh and we have an additional resurrection option. It is much cheaper than any other rez (like 10% of the total cost) but the character, having reflected on the severity of dying while adventuring, is forced into retirement (aka becomes an NPC). Sometimes they have a "bum hip" or something that would "only slow you guys down".

This lets the party occasionally run into some old friends that used to roll with them.

Sheogoroth
2016-11-07, 08:39 PM
Hard to say. It really depends on your group.
Personally, "I" chafe under book restrictions and your feat changes seem minor enough.
You might end up with a monster party with that LA buyoff, though. Seems very cheap to me.

NerdHut
2016-11-07, 09:16 PM
My solution to paladins and other alignment-excessiveness is just to relax the interpretations of the alignment rules. When there's less pressure to conform, I find that it's easier to roleplay sticking to an alignment. If you do like stricter alignments, what about instead working with your player to devise a custom paladin code? That way, they can stick to what they are comfortable doing.

Note that there's very few deities available in the sources you've given (MM1 has a short list of monster deities in the errata), so if you're giving players access to a wider list of deities, know that some deities can give a whole lot of weapon proficiencies. Pantheons are the easiest pick, since those typically give at least five weapon picks, but other deities also give access to things like "all monk weapons" or "aquatic weapons" or other similarly vague and broad things.

I've seen a fair amount of pushback on the playground to critical fumbles; I agree with the general dislike of those kinds of rules. If they suit your table, more power to you.

I'm relatively lenient about alignments as a DM. But I had a paladin in the group until recently, and his character was incredibly frustrating. Lawful Stupid type, and all that.

I may add in a few individual bits and baubles from other source books as I mull on this more, so the deities list is likely to expand, as are a few other rules. If one of my players wanted to be a Dwarf Cloistered Cleric (UA) of Mya (RoS), that would be fine. Strictly speaking it's not allowed under the house rules as currently written, but it wouldn't be a big deal.

I'm not 100% on the fumble chart yet. My group has used them for a while, with different systems in different campaigns. I may yet scrap it.

Hard to say. It really depends on your group.
Personally, "I" chafe under book restrictions and your feat changes seem minor enough.
You might end up with a monster party with that LA buyoff, though. Seems very cheap to me.

The book restriction is primarily to mitigate over-complicated over-min-maxed characters which two of my players love.

I ended up with a monster party even without the buy-off system. My first time DMing there were two anthropomorphic animals and a goliath (monsterish), and in E6 I ended up with humans and elves. So the level adjustment doesn't seem to be a factor.

GilesTheCleric
2016-11-07, 10:36 PM
I may add in a few individual bits and baubles from other source books as I mull on this more, so the deities list is likely to expand, as are a few other rules. If one of my players wanted to be a Dwarf Cloistered Cleric (UA) of Mya (RoS), that would be fine. Strictly speaking it's not allowed under the house rules as currently written, but it wouldn't be a big deal.

If you need additional deities, I have a list of all 724 and their mechanical details, by setting.

ngilop
2016-11-07, 10:53 PM
Here is how I do critical fumbles

I have something very similar to yours thought I have something like 18 I think different outcomes.

The difference is I have a step in between, I make the player rolls a 'fumble confirmation roll' Much like how one has to roll a successful attack to confirm a critical, one has to roll a unsuccessful attack to confirm a fumble.

I also have a feat in existence that gives +4 to avoid fumbles and a roll of a 1 on a confirmation roll is not an automatic failure.

I would also suggest that you roll weapon focus, weapon specialization, weapon master and the rest into one feat that you get at certain BaBs, much like how you did the TWF chain.

Chronikoce
2016-11-08, 12:00 AM
If you need additional deities, I have a list of all 724 and their mechanical details, by setting.

:O I want this

Ranged Ranger
2016-11-21, 03:54 AM
:O I want this

Seconded.

Allowed Books:
-Player’s Handbook I
-Dungeon Master’s Guide I
-Monster Manual I
-Arms and Equipment Guide (3rd Ed)
-Magic Item Compendium

Each player may choose one book for their character’s creation and development. This does not unlock that book for other players. You may use the d20srd.org as a guide, but it does NOT count as a source book.

Is this one additional book per character? If so no complaints on book restrictions, although a handful of items from other books could be handpicked for additional inclusion...

Pick one Profession, Craft, or Perform skill. You begin play with 2 free ranks in it, even if it is a cross-class skill.

New/Changed Feats
-Dodge grants a flat +1 dodge bonus to AC, not just against one enemy
-Far Shot and Precise Shot are combined into one feat: Incredible Aim
-Cleave gives the effect of Great Cleave
-Each of the feats which grant +2 to 2 skills instead grant +3
-Skill Focus grants +4 to the chosen skill
-Toughness grants one hit point per HD
-Improved Toughness requires Toughness and grants +1 to natural armor
-Two-Weapon Fighting tree is consolidated. Taking the feat "Two-Weapon Fighting" automatically grants these abilities:
--Reduce penalties to attack upon taking feat
--Off-hand Weapon grants +1 Shield AC
--May use off-hand attack on AoO (Requires 15 DEX)
--With +6 BAB, gain second off-hand attack (Requires 17 DEX)
--With +11 BAB, gain third off-hand attack (Requires 19 DEX)

Love these

martixy
2016-11-21, 10:27 AM
I got:
new Toughness = vanilla Imp. Toughness
new Imp. Toughness = DR 1/- that stacks with everything.

Dodge/Mobility merger
Spring attack works like Flyby attack and is merged with that and Shot on the Run.

No Point-blank shot, all feats with that requirement now require Precise Shot.
Far shot increases all fixed ranges by 50%, halves ranged penalty and doubles max range increments(it also means you can now sneak attack at 45 ft., not 30 ft.).
+ this (http://theworldissquare.com/feat-taxes-in-pathfinder/) and a bunch of other more controversial bits.

The main thing I want to contribute is a fumble system that isn't crap.
First of all, it's optional. But most importantly, I use the fumble system as a way to let mundanes have nice things. No, that is NOT an oxymoron. Fumbling is the only way to accumulate action points in my game(you get half a point for every fumble).
The fluff is, you either play the technical fighter where you never fail too badly(i.e. nat1s are just regular misses). Or you play the daring adventurer, who takes risks, and sometimes fails miserably(fumbles), but sometimes the risks pay off(action point pool).
The whole point is, it isn't something that just happens to you, and all you can do is curse the gods/dice/DM. There's agency embedded in there. It offers you the ability to take meaningful decisions both in combat and regarding your character's build/disposition.

NerdHut
2016-11-21, 10:59 AM
Is this one additional book per character? If so no complaints on book restrictions, although a handful of items from other books could be handpicked for additional inclusion...

I've updated that rule slightly. Same base list of books, but after some consideration I made a secondary list for the chosen books, which I'm more familiar with and don't have logistical problems with. It's 29 books long, so it covers the bulk of WotC's popular material.

And I guess I should make it clearer in the phrasing that it's per player character. If someone dies in the campaign and they're unsatisfied with the book they chose for their previous character, they can change it.

As DM, I'll be building NPCs with the same rules (almost all of the time), but there will be loot from other source books available through play.