PDA

View Full Version : Pricing a Few Custom Magical Weapons.

Zakier
2016-11-07, 06:46 PM
In the campaign I'm running the players are going to come across weapons ive designed based on some cross talk they've had about what they would find cool.

Its been a while since ive priced a. Custom item and was hoping g you wonderful people could do so so I can compare my own notes on it.

Here are the items.

Staff of The Thunder God

Type: Quarterstaff
Damage medium: 1d6/1d6
Weight: 4 lb.
Critical: 19-20 /2x

"This staff appears to have been carved from the blackened wood of a tree struck by lightning. Upon close inspection the grain of the wood is in fact tiny carvings of lightning bolts down the entire length of the staff. A faint tingling of electrical energy can be felt while holding the staff."

Once per encounter the staff can be activated upon hitting an enemy to inflict the shocking hands spell CL 6.

Each max die roll of the shocking hands spells damage rolls adds a 10% Chance to activate the special Abilities below.

Hidden Abilities:

Lance of the Thunder God
Bolts of pure white lightning strikes from the sky Hitting the enemy for 1d6 Dam per bolt. Each bolt attempts to paralyze the enemy (DC 10+CL vs Fort) for 1 round. Multiple bolts do not extend the paralysis duration.

The number of bolts that hit the target depend on the number of maximum damage die rolled during the shocking hands damage.

This has no effect in doors unless the lightning has a clear path to the enemy. If however storm clouds of any kind at in fact inside a building. The lightning comes from those clouds instead.

Critical hits do not effect the damage from special Abilities.
Aura:
Moderate Evocation,

Lightning Bolt, Paralysis, Shocking Grasps
CL 6
Base cost

Cudgel of The Hedgewitch Giantess

Weapon type: 3 Great club
Damage: 2d8 Crit 18-20 2x
Weight: 10lbs.

"This Larger two handed club appears gnarled and twisted but is well balanced. Black thorns appear to grow from it giving the club a dangerous appearance."

Hidden ability

Each roll of an 8 on the damage die adds 30%to the chance for a special effect to activate.
Only one ability can activate per encounter.
10 minute Cool down.
If prone enemy

Thorn Binding:
The thorns ok the club lash out followed by vines, these pin the enemy to the ground forcing them to remain prone for 3 rounds or until they break free (DC 20 vs Str) whichever comes first.

If standing direct contact

Whiplash:
When an enemy is struck the thorns whip around the enemy hitting them from behind. Each Thorn that activates (roll a d6 to determine number active) hits for 1d6 of damage using attack roll of the PC.

Aura: Moderate Evocation

Entangling Staff, Whip of Thorns,
CL6

Oroul
2016-11-08, 05:27 PM
In the campaign I'm running the players are going to come across weapons ive designed based on some cross talk they've had about what they would find cool.

It has been a while since I've priced a custom item and was hoping you wonderful people could do so, so I can compare my own notes on it.

Here are the items:

Staff of The Thunder God

Type: Quarterstaff
Damage (medium): 1d6/1d6
Weight: 4 lb.
Critical: 19-20 /2x

"This staff appears to have been carved from the blackened wood of a tree struck by lightning. Upon close inspection the grain of the wood is in fact tiny carvings of lightning bolts down the entire length of the staff. A faint tingling of electrical energy can be felt while holding the staff."

Once per encounter: The staff can be activated upon hitting an enemy to inflict the Shocking Hands spell at CL 6.

Each max die roll of the shocking hands spells damage rolls adds a 10% Chance to activate the special Abilities below.

Hidden Abilities:

Lance of the Thunder God
Bolts of pure white lightning strikes from the sky hitting the enemy for 1d6 lightning damage per bolt. Each bolt attempts to paralyze the enemy (DC 10+CL vs Fort) for 1 round. Multiple bolts do not extend the paralysis duration.

The number of bolts that hit the target depend on the number of maximum damage die rolled during the shocking hands damage.

This has no effect in doors unless the lightning has a clear path to the enemy. If however storm clouds of any kind at in fact inside a building. The lightning comes from those clouds instead.

1. We need to know what enhancement bonus this weapon have if we are to price it.
2. Basing an ability upon the damage dice roll is awful, as it creates damage spikes, especially with critical hits. A bit like giving 10% extra XP to characters who have a 16 in their base stats (2nd edition DnD)
3. If I were you, I would make it a +2 Shocking Mithril Quarterstaff, and the hidden ability would be on consecutive hits on consecutive rounds, making one bolt once the consecutive hits stop, increasing damage / save with each hit. This would cause a "Finisher" that may end the target, or stun it if it fails.
4. Paralyze is too vague a term, and probably too powerful. Phrase it as the "Hold Person" spell, although I would use "staggered" or "stunned" as an effect.
5. Your editing is horrible and putting off. Please, do as I did in my quote.