PDA

View Full Version : Fiendish Codex 1, and The Corruptor

Yvhv Weide
2016-11-07, 08:45 PM
So i am doing a sort of...backwards campaign. My players will be the bad guys (all their alignments will be evil of some sort) and i will basically be dming "the good guys" . just a little something to turn things around a little. One of my players wishes to basically play as "The corruptor" which is less if a class and more of a flavor of a class, from fiendish codex 1. Weve been discussing just how to play this thing out and im in need of a bit of assistance. The corruptor is supposed to as the name implies corrupt. Corrupt politics corrupt kingdoms and people and objects. The fluff in the book makes it sound like some sort of beguiler rogue evil aligned cleric mish mash. But i want to simplify and streamline this as much as possible. Any suggestions on what i should do?

Tiri
2016-11-07, 08:55 PM
What are you actually trying to do? It sounds like you're trying to homebrew a 'Corruptor' class, but it's hard to tell from your post. Not that such a class is at all necessary anyway.

Yvhv Weide
2016-11-07, 09:00 PM
Im sorry. My bad. Homebrew a class. Exactly what im aiming for. And yeah it isnt really needed, but it fits my campaign and i actually like the idea myself. I am just having trouble on deciding what comparisons i should draw from source or other materials to make this balanced and working. Just a general idea of where to look or what to look at to get a general feel for how to structure the class id say.

Vizzerdrix
2016-11-07, 09:09 PM
What about using the Foend Of classes?

Yvhv Weide
2016-11-07, 09:15 PM
Foend of classes? Have no clue. Sorry. Elaborate a little please?

Vizzerdrix
2016-11-07, 09:28 PM
In the Fiend Folio. Fiend of possesion, corruption, and blasphemy. 3 prcs.

Yvhv Weide
2016-11-07, 10:04 PM
....why did i not think of that?! Thank you very much my friend. In hindsight i was probably over thinking things.

Menzath
2016-11-08, 12:37 PM
Another class that may work would be the insidious corrupter from Drow of the underdark, paired maybe with mindbender.

Flickerdart
2016-11-08, 03:30 PM
Your average wizard or cleric (and to a lesser extent, a sorcerer or bard) makes a perfectly fine corruptor. After all, the way to corrupt someone is to tempt them with the easy way, and it's much easier to do most things by magic. You can use evil spells such as extract gift or planar binding to grant boons to your followers, or you can just offer to fireball the kid that called them names.

Erit
2016-11-08, 03:46 PM
Your average wizard or cleric (and to a lesser extent, a sorcerer or bard) makes a perfectly fine corruptor. After all, the way to corrupt someone is to tempt them with the easy way, and it's much easier to do most things by magic. You can use evil spells such as extract gift or planar binding to grant boons to your followers, or you can just offer to fireball the kid that called them names.

What better way to make others embrace the devil within, indeed, than to present one's self as the devil without?

Extra Anchovies
2016-11-08, 03:48 PM
"Corrupt" is just "persuade" with a moral connotation, so you'll need a more specific goal than general "corruption". If you're pushing people towards Evil, it's generally going to be in one of two ways: encouraging the worship of evil gods/demon lords/etc, or encouraging selfishness, excess, and cruelty. A divine spellcaster with a patron in the lower planes is definitely a solid choice for either, because "look at the awesome stuff my patron does for me!" is pretty effective when paired with the ability to change and control the world with a few words and gestures.

Thurbane
2016-11-10, 07:09 PM
You might get some build ideas here: Villainous Competition XI: the higher they rise the harder they fall (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?483052) or here: Villainous Competition XII: Power comes at a price (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?488846)

ShurikVch
2016-11-11, 08:45 AM
Dragon #312 have Corrupter - Neutral Evil version of Paladin
It's notable points:
Hidden Faith - attempts to magically discern your alignment/faith required CL check; also, +4 on Bluff/Disguise/Forgery checks
Rebuke Divine Magic - affected divine caster lose access to divine magic for 1 minute (or 24 hours - if "destroyed")
Fallen Soul - affected creature, if non-Evil, will have urges to commit Evil acts, and for every such act get +4 bonus on Str/Con/Cha for 1 hour; if creature is/become Evil, it will instead suffer 4 drain on Str/Con/Cha for any Good act; effect is permanent (but removable); affected creature is immune to Atonement