PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Rules for trick weapons

ZeroGear
2016-11-07, 08:51 PM
Hello Playgrounders,
If any of yu have played the delightfully dark and horror-inspired game Bloodborne, the you should know about it's main attraction: Trick Weapons.
For those that don't know what I'm talking about, one of the iconic features of this game are the special tools that Hunters use against beasts. These weapons can change between two separate forms allowing for larger move sets and a very unique, fast-paced play style. So that had me curious how the could be implemented into the rules of Pathfinder.
I would love to run a game with a similar gothic horror theme at some point, and I would really like to give my players the opportunity to use interesting weapons like this, even creating new ones for the setting, however I'm at a slight loss.
I'm not exactly sure how to implement the mechanic of changing a weapon between two forms.
Some existing weapons, such as the Sawcleaver and Beasthunter Saif would simply switch between damage types. Others, such as the Beast Cutter, Threaded Cane, and Simon's Bowblade, change between two separate weapons. Some even change weapon category, such as Ludwig's Holy Blade, the Kirkhammer, and the Hunter's Axe alternating between one handed and two handed requirements.
I'm having a hard time coming up with hard fast rules on how these weapons are supposed to act. Does changing form one form to another take a move action or does it take the same amount of time as drawing a weapon? Is it justifiable to use a weapon that simply changes damage types over one that changes damage dice? Is there even a motive for using a smaller form if the larger version deals more damage?
Can anyone help me figure some of these out?