PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Barrow of the Forgotten King or The Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde? (3.5E)

cornstalkhands
2016-11-07, 11:59 PM
Im about to start a new campaign and decided on one of these. Has anyone ran these in the past? Or have opinions on which is a better adventure? Or tips for running either.
Ive ran the ebberon adventures in the past but I would still say Im a fairly new DM.
Thanks

Daddoo
2016-11-08, 09:47 AM
I ran Barrow of the forgotten king and the players and I really enjoyed it. It's a fairly evenly paced module with a few new monsters to spice it up. I read the rest of the series but never DM'd them because I had other ideas for the players but they read well and looked to be a lot of fun. Never ran the other.

ComaVision
2016-11-08, 11:10 AM
I've run The Slaughtered Gates of Shattergarde before. It's fine for a dungeon-crawl, I just don't recall much material for roleplay out of the box.

thorr-kan
2016-11-08, 11:19 AM
Have not run Shattered Gates, but it reads as a lower level Red Hand of Doom. It's a very focused environment, but has plenty of room for a campaign. I like the way it reads.

golem1972
2016-11-08, 03:30 PM
Barrow was a lot of fun, it is the start of a series of modules that we never got around to playing though. There is one monster that your players probably won't find, but is a really tough fight if they do. We actually enjoyed the puzzle as well.

Shattered Gates was also a lot of fun, and I agree it seemed like a great intro to the Red Hand.

Personally, I preferred the Sunless Citadel for a level 1 module. But, I think I'd go with Barrow of the Forgotten King if we went back to those modules. It was really fun for my necromancer.

cornstalkhands
2016-11-08, 05:24 PM
Barrow was a lot of fun, it is the start of a series of modules that we never got around to playing though. There is one monster that your players probably won't find, but is a really tough fight if they do. We actually enjoyed the puzzle as well.

Shattered Gates was also a lot of fun, and I agree it seemed like a great intro to the Red Hand.

Personally, I preferred the Sunless Citadel for a level 1 module. But, I think I'd go with Barrow of the Forgotten King if we went back to those modules. It was really fun for my necromancer.

Thank you for the feedback. Ive ran The Sunless Citadel in the past with other characters, Im just looking for something new. I really like running puzzles and Barrows seems like fun, I think Ill go with that.

Thurbane
2016-11-10, 07:06 PM
I've run through both as a player, and honestly, enjoyed them both. If I was going to pick between the two, I'd probably go Slaughtergarde.

LoyalPaladin
2016-11-11, 11:37 AM
I really enjoyed Barrow of the Forgotten King as a player. If you ignored the penalties on the WoL, your paladin or fighter would probably like it.