PDA

View Full Version : Speculation How to fake my own death

Swaoeaeieu
2016-11-08, 05:32 AM
Hello there playground.
my character is between a rock and a hard place, and therefore i have decided to fake, or at least prepare a plan to fake, my own death.
Little backstory:
I am playing a refluffed warlock (refluffed to be a crazy inventor who uses tech to cast spells) with a homebrew prestigeclass shaped around crafting. Our 6 man party used to work for a mob boss who is dangerous and doesnt like betrayal. We were confronted by another mob boss and threatend into working for boss#2. Two partymembers died and were replaced with people loyal to boss#2. i have not been able to converse with the rest of the party about where their loyalties are but i wish to return to Boss#1. who has sadly threatend me repeatedly if i ever thought of betrayal. Boss#2 made us steal from boss#1 and kill his lieutenants. Both bosses have access to scrying and very brutal murdering.

Problem is, i dont know the capabilities of both mobsters, only that i need to escape this situation. But since i cant fully trust my own party i need to do this behind everyones back, without knowing what they know.

So playground, how do i surcumvent scrying and other methods of spying, trick my partymembers and make it look like i died without actually dying, wich is, as far as i can tell, the only way to get out of this?

i am level 8, with the ritual book pact, fiend patron.
any ideas?

Herobizkit
2016-11-08, 04:39 PM
Are you planning on re-rolling and making a new character to join the party? If not, what possible motivation would your guy have to re-join them?

In any case.

What do you have in the way of assets? Spells, equipment, magic items?
Where are you currently located? Town, city, ruins, dungeon?
What are your party's plans?

RickAllison
2016-11-08, 06:03 PM
There are a few spells to beware of if you don't have Nondetection (and if you did, you likely wouldn't be asking...).

Locate Object is the lowest level (3rd), and relatively easy to fool. It is both limited to 1000 feet and can be blocked with a thin lead sheet. So it is best solved through a horse and cart, with the cart lined with lead. Also note that this has to specifically pick items known to be used by the warlock, so ditch commonly used items by giving them to the unfortunate or other travelers. That way, locating them wastes time and leads away from the warlock.

Arcane Eye travels around and could catch you, but it is foiled by having a complete visual barrier like the cart above. What is more, it can only see 30 feet so you can spot it with Detect Magic up when you are moving. So we are up to Detect Magic, a horse, and a lead-lined cart.

Locate Creature is next at 4th level as well, and shares the range restriction of 1000 feet, so the user has to be fairly close to succeed. It is also blocked by 10 foot wide running water, so find a river to cross as soon as possible. If they are at this level and you are by the sea, it might be worth it to travel by ship in a lead-lined container.

At 5th level, it gets dangerous. Scrying. No easy way to get around this one. It offers a Wisdom save and you are immune for 24 hours to that caster if you succeed, but otherwise the enemy will be able to see and hear you. The best thing for this one is simply Detect Magic, then Dispel Magic on the orb. Alternatively, use a mode of travel where you don't have to step outside. Have a driver for your cart or go by ship. You may seem odd for never leaving your cabin, but any Scrying sensor won't be in a good position to see where you are or where you are going.

I think that is it until we reach Gate, and you are screwed if people that powerful are hunting you down. Spells like Commune or Contact Outer Planes won't be as helpful because they are supposed to be one word answers like "yes" and "no", not communication of information. Would be useful for things like "Did he go by land or by sea?"

Occasional Sage
2016-11-09, 12:55 AM
You've... added prestige classes to 5e? On purpose?

Swaoeaeieu
2016-11-09, 03:00 AM
yes. i was planning on switching to a new character when i did manage to escape. retiring my warlock.

and by a nice twist of events i now have acces to nondetection. so i might not have the problem i started the thread for. Now just to find a fun way to off myself.
But thanks for the spell rundown Rick!

yes we added prestige classes. i couldnt get what i wanted from the core classes, so we worked something out. Is that bad?

Arkhios
2016-11-09, 03:44 AM
I see I'm a bit late, but anyway.

I understand it's bit of a stretch, but Feign Death is a ritual and it only specifies you have to target a willing creature. Aren't you a willing creature if you target yourself? It doesn't exactly say you can't target yourself. Obviously though, if you cast it on yourself, you'd be blinded and incapacitated for the full duration, and couldn't end it as an Action, because you can't take any due to your conditions. But would it actually matter, if you could buy yourself the time by having your seemingly dead body removed from the whatever location or situation you were trapped in, and possibly have both of your previous bosses believe you're dead, and not try to contact you anymore.