PDA

View Full Version : First time playing 5e, need some advices

ripper-
2016-11-08, 09:51 AM
Hello!

I will start soon a new campain with 5e, we usually played 3.5, but we opted for a system change.

I need some advice on how to build my PC, we will start from level 1 and I'll be playing a Bard (most probabily valor). We rolled our stats and, after selling part of my soul to some Old Gods, I got 18 17 13 12 11 11.

I will be playing a human (variant) and I chose Soldier Background because I wanted to do an ex-soldier trying to create its own mercenary army.

The rest of the party is composed by a human ranger (I don't know if dual wield or archer), a human wizard (usually he's a bit... blasty) and a human rogue, so i would like to adapt my spell and feat selection to improve our survivability.

I was thinking about putting 18 to cha, 17+1 to dex, 13+1 to cos, 12 to WIS, taking Inspiring Leader feat to improve our HP and taking Warcaster feat at 4th level.

Skills: Persuasion, Stealth, Perception, Insight (plus Athetics and Intimidation from Soldier Background)

Cantrips: Minor illusion, Vicious Mockery
1st level: Bane, Dissonant Whispers, Healing Word, Sleep.

I chose bane because i'll be probabily be on the front row fighting (sigh...) and debuffing our foes to reduce damage, and therefore the need of concentration check, seems betters than Faerie Fire in this moment. Healing words looks better as a quick combat heal for a bard and Sleep looks very strong, at least at first level.

Since this is our first session with 5e we will have a special "retrain token" at 3rd level, where we will be able to change feats, skills and so on.

Do you think this is a decent start for a bard? Would you change something and how would you progress this PC?

I have another question: Valor Bards can wear medium armor and wearing an half plate would give me 17 AC and 18 if i take Medium Armor Master feat. But is it better to raise DEX to 20 and use a studded leather for 17 AC (and +1 to dex saves, to hit, damage, initiative) or taking Medium Armor Master and have 18 AC?

Sorry if everything isn't crystal clear, but english isn't my first language.

Cheers!

Oramac
2016-11-08, 10:14 AM
Overall I'd say you're looking pretty good.

Sleep is incredibly strong at low levels (1-3 ish), but once you're past about level 3 or so it becomes basically worthless.

Others might disagree, but if I were you I'd probably skip Medium Armor Master. 17 AC is actually pretty good, and you're going to want to use your first ASI to bump Cha up to 20. After that, it's up to you, but I'd probably just go with Dex.

The other thing to keep in mind: optimization isn't nearly as important in 5e as it was in 3.5, so if you mess up and take a "sub-optimal" choice, it's really not too big a deal.

DanyBallon
2016-11-08, 10:16 AM
Some might argue that your build isn't optimized, but I think it's pretty decent and built to fit well with your character concept.
As long as you have fun playing your character your build will always be great :smallwink:

Specter
2016-11-08, 10:16 AM
Don't bother with Medium Armor Master, you already have War Caster to use a shield and cast at the same time. 18AC with breastplate, shield and +2 dex is pretty good for a bard.

Inspiring Leader is a good choice. Your job will be to debuff enemies, inspire your friends and after that attack the enemy. With a good CON you shouldn't fear too much.

Toadkiller
2016-11-08, 10:56 AM
Agree that 18 AC is fine. If you really are worried about it later you can (I think) use magical secrets to get shield spell. But you probably don't need it.

ripper-
2016-11-08, 11:47 AM
Thanks a lot guys! I still haven't tought about magical secrets because level 10 is very very far at the moment.

So I will improve my CHA with first ASI, then I'll take warcaster feat and then DEX to 20 with next ASI... That's level 12 and very far, i like long plans :D

Specter
2016-11-08, 11:56 AM
Thanks a lot guys! I still haven't tought about magical secrets because level 10 is very very far at the moment.

So I will improve my CHA with first ASI, then I'll take warcaster feat and then DEX to 20 with next ASI... That's level 12 and very far, i like long plans :D

If I may, I'd say you need War Caster at level 4, ASAP. You don't want to wait 4 more levels to be able to wear a shield and cast at the same time, and advantage on concentration and casting a soell as an opportunity attack are aces too. 20 CHA can wait.

ripper-
2016-11-08, 11:58 AM
You have a point, thanks!

Oramac
2016-11-08, 12:03 PM
If I may, I'd say you need War Caster at level 4, ASAP. You don't want to wait 4 more levels to be able to wear a shield and cast at the same time, and advantage on concentration and casting a soell as an opportunity attack are aces too. 20 CHA can wait.

I'd agree, with one change: I'd take War Caster as your Vuman feat, and grab Inspiring Leader at 8th level.

Having a shield and advantage on Con saves is amazing, and having a 20 Cha for those higher DC's is going to be really useful. IMO, more useful than the temp HP you'll get from Inspiring Leader.

Rogozhin
2016-11-08, 12:12 PM
This looks great! Bards are so much fun. My 3rd level bard has managed to get the final killing blow through vicious mockery no less than 5 times! It is supremely satisfying.

Ashrym
2016-11-08, 02:04 PM
The point of medium armor mastery is less the AC bonus and more not taking disadvantage on stealth in a half plate. The alternative is giving up another point of AC for breast plate if a person doesn't want disadvantage or stripping off armor.

The feat depends on how important stealth in armor is.

The spells are good. War caster is not necessary for spell casting. Spells like healing word and dissonant whispers have no V or Magic components so they cast fine regardless. Other spells require sheathing your weapon as part of the action used to cast the spell and then draw the weapon again as part of the action used for attacking. The difference is small. A spell for an opportunity attack and advantage on concentration are the benefits.

War caster only states it doesn't require a free hand for S but M should still require that free hand. A person can definitely wait to take it.

Willie the Duck
2016-11-08, 03:40 PM
The point of medium armor mastery is less the AC bonus and more not taking disadvantage on stealth in a half plate. The alternative is giving up another point of AC for breast plate if a person doesn't want disadvantage or stripping off armor.

Either way, it is a feat in exchange for 2 AC (1 because you can use up to 3 pts of dex bonus, and 1 because you can wear half plate instead of a breastplate without stealth disadvantage).

Of course you could use the same ASI to improve their DEX to 20, use studded leather, and have only 1 less pt of AC, but also a +1 to initiative, ranged and finesse attacks, Dex saves, and Dex-based skill rolls.

OP, a bard is great as long as you don't pretend it is what it isn't (such as thinking that a valor bard is a front liner). It's hard to screw up. Have fun and take the selections you want, and then top it off with Charisma and Dex bonuses. :smallsmile:

ripper-
2016-11-09, 01:14 AM
Thanks to everyone, your comments are very insightful for me!

SillyPopeNachos
2016-11-09, 05:55 AM
Also, if you're ever tempted to multiclass, 2 levels of paladin allows a valor bard to smite with spell slots and get a fighting style. For the first set of Magical Secrets a lot of people have picked up swift quiver to boost their archery.